Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Interline baggage on Separate Tickets (UA -> LH) - will this work?

Interline baggage on Separate Tickets (UA -> LH) - will this work?

Old Mar 26, 18, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Question Interline baggage on Separate Tickets (UA -> LH) - will this work?

My family is planning on flying from SFO to FRA via LHR on two separate round trip tickets (SFO-LHR & LHR-FRA). SFO-LHR is on United (UA) while LHR-FRA is on Lufthansa. Will we be able to check bags all the way through when we check in at SFO? Connecting time is LHR is 3 1/2 hours which could be a problem if we need to clear customs, get bags then check in and go back through security. I believe we can check all the way through since it is all within *A but want to be sure. Alternate we can fly second leg on BA which leaves a few hours later (but costs a lot more).
Old Mar 26, 18, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
You can ask, but there is the high probability you will get told 'no'. Prepare accordingly.
Old Mar 26, 18, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, LH SEN, Mariott Titanium
according to the official policy they still interline on separate tickets within *A see https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...edBaggage.aspx
I would ask nicely and they should be able to comply. 3 1/2 hours will be fin either way but it makes the connection much easier.
Old Mar 26, 18, 9:10 pm

Only thing to be added to what the posters before me wrote is that you should have already OLCId for your LH flight when getting to the check-in counter at SFO, so that you can show them your boarding pass. Obviously, all of the above (boarding pass available for the connecting flight, asking nicely ) are equally valid for the return ex FRA. Good luck!
Old Mar 26, 18, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
Only thing to be added to what the posters before me wrote is that you should have already OLCId for your LH flight when getting to the check-in counter at SFO, so that you can show them your boarding pass. Obviously, all of the above (boarding pass available for the connecting flight, asking nicely ) are equally valid for the return ex FRA. Good luck!
Good point. Thanks for bring that up. Will be sure to check in for all legs before departing.

On our return we have an overnight in London so will not need to check bags all the way through. Outbound is only complication. Many thanks.
Old Mar 26, 18, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, davidj94112!

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
You can ask, but there is the high probability you will get told 'no'.
There is a very low probability of that. They do this all the time.
Old Mar 27, 18, 12:31 am

Make sure you buy LH tickets with sufficient baggage allowance (weight and pieces) to cover whatever you will check in with UA. The cheapest LH fares have no checked luggage including for *G.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 18, 12:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
There are some good answers and some less good ones in this thread. Here are the good ones:

Originally Posted by KP2006 View Post
according to the official policy they still interline on separate tickets within *A see https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...edBaggage.aspx
I would ask nicely and they should be able to comply.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
They do this all the time.
Originally Posted by malmostoso View Post
Make sure you buy LH tickets with sufficient baggage allowance (weight and pieces) to cover whatever you will check in with UA. The cheapest LH fares have no checked luggage including for *G.
Bottom line is that UA should check your bags through. But to avoid potential complications, don't buy a "light" LH fare.

Last edited by Kacee; Mar 27, 18 at 1:27 am
Old Mar 27, 18, 11:36 am
Original Poster

THANKS. good point!
Old Mar 27, 18, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the great insight. Feeling much more confident about this now. One more question.....what is the process when transferring through LHR? I presume we will need to collect bags, clear customs, recheck bags, then proceed to connecting gate? Not sure if a terminal change will be required or not or if there are any other nuances or complications? I haven't connected through LHR before.
Old Mar 27, 18, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Pretty much none of the above. UA and LH are in the same Terminal (2) ... read this thread ... Consolidated connection time/logistics at LHR
Assuming your bags are checked through to FRA ...
Get off your UA flight ... follow signs for "Flight Connections" ... go through security ... proceed to LH gate ...
You will go through immigration, collect your bags and go through customs in Frankfurt.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Mar 27, 18 at 12:06 pm Reason: reorder baggage claim and customs in FRA
Old Mar 27, 18, 12:38 pm

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
Only thing to be added to what the posters before me wrote is that you should have already OLCId for your LH flight when getting to the check-in counter at SFO, so that you can show them your boarding pass.
I would like to add to this: Its not required that you have done OLCI. If you show your LH ticket/e-ticket itinerary at check-in with UA you should be fine. Regardless of this make sure that you show the UA luggage stubs from SFO at the LH tranfer desk at LHR when you collect your BP for LHR-FRA or to the gate agents (if you do OLCI) in order for them to enter/add your luggage to the LH PNR. Otherwise, most likely your bags will not be loaded on the LH flight because according to the LH system you have no checked luggage.

Search this Thread