Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

EWR to AMD. Should I use DEL or BOM?

Old Mar 21, 18, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

I'm going to be flying EWR to AMD and can stopover in either DEL or BOM. Both are direct flights on UA from EWR and flight times are very similar. From DEL or BOM I will be going to AMD on Air India to stay within Star Alliance.

​​​I have the American Express Platinum card for lounge access.

Is there any logic in picking between DEL or BOM? I'm thinking in terms of lounge quality or lounge proximity when flying UA and Air India. In both airports I could have six or seven hours between my arrival from EWR and my flight to AMD on Air India. Having the option to refresh with a shower after the 14+ hour flight from EWR would be a plus.

Last edited by jeffcarp; Mar 21, 18 at 6:59 pm Reason: Fixed spelling
Old Mar 21, 18, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Would you need a Visa in either case?
Old Mar 21, 18, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
When traveling from Newark to India, I would think that connecting in MOB (Mobile, Alabama) would be unwise.

Connecting in BOM, on the other hand, is a very different matter.
Old Mar 21, 18, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
When traveling from Newark to India, I would think that connecting in MOB (Mobile, Alabama) would be unwise.

Connecting in BOM, on the other hand, is a very different matter.
Clearly the Mumbai / Bombay thing is forever going to mess me up!
Old Mar 21, 18, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
Would you need a Visa in either case?
Yes, I'll have a 5 year business Visa.
Old Mar 21, 18, 7:46 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by jeffcarp View Post
Clearly the Mumbai / Bombay thing is forever going to mess me up!
Agree

Delhi is problematic with major delays due to fog. There will be a ton of Indian expats to BOM and then to AMD.
BTW you know some ME3 go directly to AMD ? ( SQ too)
Old Mar 21, 18, 8:04 pm

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
BOM has a much better lounge than DEL.

If you select an AI flight in the range 0000-399 or 900-999, you will be able to access the international lounges (better) and clear immigration and customs formalities at AMD instead of BOM or DEL.
jeffcarp likes this.
Old Mar 21, 18, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL View Post
BOM has a much better lounge than DEL.

If you select an AI flight in the range 0000-399 or 900-999, you will be able to access the international lounges (better) and clear immigration and customs formalities at AMD instead of BOM or DEL.
Avoiding DEL fog and better lounges in BOM would be enough to sway me to BOM. Both of my Air India flight options are in the flight number ranges you mentioned. Do you know the lounge name that is preferred? The Amex app shows three lounges in terminal 2 at BOM: Aviserve, Loyalty Lounge and Travel Club Lounge.
Old Mar 21, 18, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HMPS View Post
Agree

Delhi is problematic with major delays due to fog. There will be a ton of Indian expats to BOM and then to AMD.
BTW you know some ME3 go directly to AMD ? ( SQ too)
Yes I did see that ME3 and SQ go to AMD directly. I don't believe that SQ is an option for me at ORD. The ME3 flights seem to be a lot more expensive from ORD than the UA flights. I'm seeing around $2400 vs $1300.
Old Mar 22, 18, 5:52 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
My 2 cents:
  • Assuming you're traveling in Y without *G status and with an Amex Plat card for lounge access. Your lounge options aren't really anything to write home about. Given that you're going to be transiting DEL/BOM the Premium Plaza lounge in DEL T3 is much better than the Travel Club Lounge in BOM. Aviserve is landside and Loyalty Lounge is in the domestic section of BOM airport.
  • Flying J or with *G status the GVK lounge in BOM is fantastic and much better than any lounge in DEL
  • If you're traveling in Y - you can also check out the AI 172 which flies from EWR - LHR - AMD. You will probably be able to use the Premium Plaza Lounge in LHR T2
  • Fog is an issue in DEL only in winter. If you're flying between now and Oct or so you don't have anything to worry about. Also in winter the fog usually affects DEL airport in the early part of the day. Flying in late evening is generally not a problem
Bottom line - all other things being the same eg: connection times etc. and the only differentiating factor being the lounge.The Premium Plaza lounge in DEL T3 wins easily.
bizum likes this.
Old Mar 22, 18, 8:12 am
Original Poster

PiperAtGatesofDawn, thanks for the feedback. I'm switching all of my domestic business to UA because of these new trips to India so I'll have Gold status within my first year, probably after my 2nd trip to India. It sounds like my best game plan is to use DEL for the first 2 trips (summer and fall) to get the better AMEX lounge, then once I hit Gold w/ UA, switch to MOB for the better Star Alliance lounge. Do you agree with that?
Old Mar 22, 18, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Concerning the AI flight through LHR, I've read elsewhere that the AI product wasn't recommended for international travel and was inferior to the UA option. Any experience with that?
Old Mar 22, 18, 8:47 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
PiperAtGatesofDawn, thanks for the feedback. I'm switching all of my domestic business to UA because of these new trips to India so I'll have Gold status within my first year, probably after my 2nd trip to India. It sounds like my best game plan is to use DEL for the first 2 trips (summer and fall) to get the better AMEX lounge, then once I hit Gold w/ UA, switch to MOB for the better Star Alliance lounge. Do you agree with that?
That sounds like a plan. To clarify though you won't be getting the Amex lounge in DEL - that's on the Domestic side. You will have access to the Premium Plaza lounge though.

And switch to BOM not MOB... you might be very disappointed with the lounge (if any) in MOB.
Old Mar 22, 18, 8:49 am
Original Poster

PiperAtGatesofDawn, thanks for the feedback. I'm switching all of my domestic business to UA because of these new trips to India so I'll have Gold status within my first year, probably after my 2nd trip to India. It sounds like my best game plan is to use DEL for the first 2 trips (summer and fall) to get the better AMEX lounge, then once I hit Gold w/ UA, switch to BOM for the better Star Alliance lounge. Do you agree with that?
Old Mar 22, 18, 9:08 am

Concerning the AI flight through LHR, I've read elsewhere that the AI product wasn't recommended for international travel and was inferior to the UA option. Any experience with that?
I fly BOM - EWR 6-8 times a year. Here's my take - overall AI Y is better than UA Y IMHO.

Disadvantages of AI:
  • Entertainment sucks - carry your iPad
  • No Wifi if that's important for you
  • Toilets can get dirtier but generally manageable
  • AI 172 halts in the middle of the journey - I prefer to travel as much of the journey uninterrupted as possible. AI 126 ORD - DEL would be a better option if that's your starting point - more importantly saving you 1 hop
Make sure you compare mileage earnings. Not sure how you plan to reach gold with 2 trips in Y unless you're buying the highest fare class.

Search this Thread