Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Which SA Program the best for HK/North Asia/US based?

Old Mar 21, 18, 1:37 am
SSY
Original Poster

Programs: CX Go

Looking to shift away from CX - which SA program do people recommend? It will be as a secondary and perhaps later primary place to put my miles in, so ease of getting status and easy to use or miles is more important now

i fly mostly HKG-TPE, HKG-HND and HKG-JFK on Prem Econ or Business with the latter likely stuck as CX or i shift to HKG-TPE-JFK on EVA

My basic research telling me
Asiana for ease of status earn
ANA for spending miles (and good AMEX link)

and EVA for my flight patterns but the mileage program sucks?

Any suggestions or thoughts here? I actually have been putting the occasional SA miles I earn into KF but with my current flight patterns I rather change. If KF is still superior to these programs for someone who may end up only putting 20-40k onto SA metal on the above routes then please also note that.

BTW i also fly some in US but unlikely to go with UA but rather the cheapest available.
Old Mar 21, 18, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here
Old Mar 22, 18, 5:09 am
SSY
Original Poster

Programs: CX Go
no replies there after a week so i've posted here....
Old Mar 22, 18, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SSY View Post
no replies there after a week so i've posted here....
Multiple nearly identical posts are hightly discouraged on FlyerTalk.
Old Mar 22, 18, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by SSY View Post
Looking to shift away from CX - which SA program do people recommend? It will be as a secondary and perhaps later primary place to put my miles in, so ease of getting status and easy to use or miles is more important now

i fly mostly HKG-TPE, HKG-HND and HKG-JFK on Prem Econ or Business with the latter likely stuck as CX or i shift to HKG-TPE-JFK on EVA

My basic research telling me
Asiana for ease of status earn
ANA for spending miles (and good AMEX link)

and EVA for my flight patterns but the mileage program sucks?

Any suggestions or thoughts here? I actually have been putting the occasional SA miles I earn into KF but with my current flight patterns I rather change. If KF is still superior to these programs for someone who may end up only putting 20-40k onto SA metal on the above routes then please also note that.

BTW i also fly some in US but unlikely to go with UA but rather the cheapest available.
Asiana
Old Mar 22, 18, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Because you're flying on higher level fares, you need to see which program gives you the best multiplier for premium fares. Your actual best answer may not be based in Asia at all. At the number of miles you say you're likely to be crediting, it's nowhere near top level in any program which is the only good excuse to use a poor program like BR's. Instead you want to be targeting Star Alliance Gold (*G).

Have a look at wheretocredit.com and compare the fare classes you'll be using typically. (business and premium economy fare coding isn't consistent across *A, so you may want to have a look what fare codes are for NH, OZ, and BR in both premium economy and business. A free option for that is the United MileagePlus earnings charts, it uses a clean and easy to read format (though you'll be ignoring UA's own earning levels since you just need the fare codes to use to compare the other programs).

Asiana is a good program but they don't necessarily have the best multipliers for partner airline premium fares, nor does ANA. For your own comparison sake, I'd be looking at NH, OZ, A3, and TK. Keep in mind, status on NH requires 50% of the miles to be flown on NH metal. I have a suspicion that A3 might be a solid bet for you and their award chart is pretty decent as well. Complex awards aren't as readily available as they are in other programs but more straightforward awards are a non-issue.

Search this Thread