FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   Asked for SA card again. I've never even seen one! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/1896092-asked-sa-card-again-ive-never-even-seen-one.html)

PaxALotl Feb 27, 2018 2:52 pm

Asked for SA card again. I've never even seen one!

Hi all -

For about the 5th I was in some dinky airport and was asked to show my Star Alliance Gold card to get into the lounge. This time it was in Kharkiv in Ukraine. No big deal, the crappy lounge also took priority pass select (but only if you physically had the card!). But, this is not the first time I've been asked for the card and denied because I don't have it. It says UA*GOLD on the boarding pass, but that isn't good enough sometimes.

I've never actually see an SA card - is that a thing? I have never gotten a welcome packet or anything - I assumed it all goes through UA. What's up?

Yoshi212 Feb 27, 2018 3:14 pm

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...58c654f75d.jpg

You should be able to request one from UA. It's annoying to have to carry yet another card but it's also good to have incase a system doesn't work properly and you want/need your benefits.

PaxALotl Feb 27, 2018 3:17 pm

I'm not sure I can be bothered to carry another card! I just went on a wallet diet and it's so slim now :)

sbm12 Feb 27, 2018 7:07 pm

The UA mobile app has a card that can be displayed and scanned. It should be sufficient at most lounges, though some small contract lounges might insist on physical.

mahasamatman Feb 27, 2018 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by PaxALotl (Post 29466445)
I'm not sure I can be bothered to carry another card!

So don't carry it in your wallet. Put it in your carry-on.

vbroucek Feb 27, 2018 9:05 pm

I'm not sure I can be bothered to carry another card! I just went on a wallet diet and it's so slim now :)

Then do not complain if someone asks for it and refuses you entry without it...

zeer0 Feb 28, 2018 1:37 am

Was it a contract lounge? This happens a lot more often in contract lounges than actual *A lounges owned by a *A carrier. The only one of those that has carded me recently is the SQ lounge in HKG (and digital card was enough).

tmac100 Feb 28, 2018 11:25 am

In this case I hope the lounge you wish to enter accepts cash payments, AND that you have a CC in your "slimmer" wallet. Otherwise ... too bad, join the plebes near the "Golden Arches"....

tmac100 Feb 28, 2018 11:35 am

Originally Posted by zeer0 (Post 29467919)
Was it a contract lounge? This happens a lot more often in contract lounges than actual *A lounges owned by a *A carrier. The only one of those that has carded me recently is the SQ lounge in HKG (and digital card was enough).

From past experiences, I make it a point to ALWAYS carry my BAEC Silver and A3 Gold cards. It was needed with AC in Canada wrt baggage allowances... and with access to a QF lounge in MEL (or was it LST? ).

PiperAtGatesofDawn Feb 28, 2018 1:17 pm

All *A airlines gives their *G members physical cards. UA is the exception where you have to ask for one. I think they are being cheap really by not mailing it without having to ask for it.

A lot of lounges big and small card you. SQ SKL lounges do it frequently. Many *A airlines ask for it at check in too.

All travellers should carry it... if not on themselves in their check-in at least. Just like they would their PP or other lounge access cards.

zeer0 Feb 28, 2018 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn (Post 29470014)
All *A airlines gives their *G members physical cards. UA is the exception where you have to ask for one. I think they are being cheap really by not mailing it without having to ask for it.

Many don't nowadays. Asiana doesn't unless you're in Korea or Germany.

mahasamatman Feb 28, 2018 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn (Post 29470014)
All travellers should carry it...

I do not have a card, but have never been denied benefits when showing the card image on the app.

mapleg Feb 28, 2018 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by PaxALotl (Post 29466341)
Hi all -

I've never actually see an SA card - is that a thing? I have never gotten a welcome packet or anything -?

Aeroplan sends out cards, luggage tags and welcome kits every year for their various status levels including all the ones that include *A Gold.

Here's an old one from some blog

What's in the Air Canada Elite Kit? - Economy Class & Beyond

PiperAtGatesofDawn Feb 28, 2018 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 29471193)
I do not have a card, but have never been denied benefits when showing the card image on the app.

I can think of 2 times when met with overzealous / in-experienced tools while trying to access the priority check-in counters with UA in BOM and AI in JFK without a physical card.

They insisted I have a card to get access to those counters. They each argued with me for a few minutes about how necessary it was to show my card to them. It was only when I raised my voice they allowed me through. Not that I think I need to show them my card even if I’m carrying it on me but it’s an unnecessary hassle. It’s just smoother sailing when you have the card.

timster Mar 1, 2018 2:17 am

The Star Alliance Reference Guide is abundantly clear that a BP showing *G is sufficient for lounge access. An airline gold card is only required should the BP not show *G...
Reference Guide - Airports Information - Lounge Access
"Star Alliance Gold (SAG) customers travelling in any class on Star Alliance flights
Star Alliance Gold customers have access to any member carriers' owned lounge that displays the Star Alliance Gold logo. Customers will need to present a boarding pass for a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport. If the boarding pass does not carry the Star Alliance Gold indicator XX*G, the customer will need to also show a valid Star Alliance Gold card. Customers are entitled to a maximum of one guest. Restrictions apply for United MileagePlus Star Alliance Gold customers wishing to access United Clubs within the U.S., who may only access the United Clubs within the U.S. when travelling in conjunction with an international Star Alliance flight. In cases of discrepancy between the loyalty status level displayed on any form of identification presented for lounge access by the customer and what is displayed in the Star Alliance Premium Customer Database, the highest displayed level will be honoured for lounge access and billing purposes. If no XX*G indicator is displayed on the boarding pass and a manual PCD validation of the Frequent Flyer Number is performed by the lounge staff, the status displayed in the PCD will be honoured for access and billing purposes. In the event no manual PCD validation can be performed, the status displayed on the FFP card will be honoured."

You may wish to carry a PDF copy of the guide to stop lounges trying to ignore the official rules ...

https://portal.staralliance.com/empl...eference-guide