Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Asked for SA card again. I've never even seen one!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asked for SA card again. I've never even seen one!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Star Alliance Gold customers have access to any member carriers' owned lounge that displays the Star Alliance Gold logo.
OP tried to get into a contract lounge. @:-)
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by oliver2002
OP tried to get into a contract lounge. @:-)
Same deal...

" Star Alliance Gold revenue customers and Non-Revenue Star Alliance Gold customers have access to third-party Contract Lounges contracted by the member airline on which they are travelling. Simply present an eligible boarding pass for a flight departing from the local airport with a Star Alliance member carrier flight that has a contract with that lounge. If the boarding pass does not carry the Star Alliance Gold indicator, the customer will need also to show a valid Star Alliance Gold card. "
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Thats nice on paper, for most airports you often need a paper voucher or invite from the airline to get into the contract lounge.... the contract lounge agent will quickly kick you out if they don't see the required paperwork.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Thats nice on paper, for most airports you often need a paper voucher or invite from the airline to get into the contract lounge.... the contract lounge agent will quickly kick you out if they don't see the required paperwork.
Bottom line: Carry the card! What's to understand?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This likely does nothing for OP and there is an easier way. If he was asked for a "*G card" this suggests a contract lounge and the quoted section is inapplicable by its terms.

But, rather than carrying PDF's in multiple languages and playing lawyer wannabe, one could simply load the UA application and display the handy e-card which is what most people do any why UA no ilonger issued physical cards.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
If he was asked for a "*G card" this suggests a contract lounge and the quoted section is inapplicable by its terms.
That would suggest that airlines sign deals with contract lounges that are not consistent with *A rules. I think that's 'probably' unlikely, but who knows. More likely is that contract lounges - as independent businesses - think they can depart from the rules, or staff think they know the rules their boss as signed up for ... when they don't. So always good to know exactly what the *A rules say, in case you need them. But there will obviously be some lounges where that is not going to move them. There will probably be some where nothing short of a physical gold card will work.

In any case, when I know that I'm going to be facing a contract lounge airside, and despite always having my gold card, I always confirm the details of lounge access at checkin with the airline. That way if I need a physical invite for example, I've reminded them to give me one. And if the lounge dragon then throws up extra conditions of entry, I can say 'Checkin said I get in. Call them please'.

We should also be complaining to the local airline office when contract lounges try to pull this crap. Otherwise it just continues. *G on your boarding pass should always be enough, as the *A rules say.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by timster
We should also be complaining to the local airline office when contract lounges try to pull this crap. Otherwise it just continues. *G on your boarding pass should always be enough, as the *A rules say.
Contract lounges sign deals with airlines. They don't sign deals with alliances. You must be flying on one of the airlines that has contracted with the lounge - no other airline's passengers should be granted access.

When contract lounges are involved, it's best to specifically ask for a lounge invitation, particularly if you're flying Coach.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by timster
That would suggest that airlines sign deals with contract lounges that are not consistent with *A rules. I think that's 'probably' unlikely, but who knows. More likely is that contract lounges - as independent businesses - think they can depart from the rules, or staff think they know the rules their boss as signed up for ... when they don't. So always good to know exactly what the *A rules say, in case you need them. But there will obviously be some lounges where that is not going to move them. There will probably be some where nothing short of a physical gold card will work.

In any case, when I know that I'm going to be facing a contract lounge airside, and despite always having my gold card, I always confirm the details of lounge access at checkin with the airline. That way if I need a physical invite for example, I've reminded them to give me one. And if the lounge dragon then throws up extra conditions of entry, I can say 'Checkin said I get in. Call them please'.

Or you could buy an extra seat and fly your lawyer around with you.

Or you could enjoy the lounge by doing what everyone else does and either provide a physical or e-card, neither of which is asking too much.

Ranting here, at the lounge, or afterwards will get you nothing. Other than high blood pressure and no lounge access.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last year I flew on TP and their BPs have your entitlements(Lounge Access, Fast Track,etc) printed on them.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:38 pm

Or you could enjoy the lounge by doing what everyone else does and either provide a physical or e-card, neither of which is asking too much.
Yeah .. pretty much exactly what I said I do. Thanks for the heads up. (rolling eyes .. in case you missed it)
zeer0 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by tmac100
In this case I hope the lounge you wish to enter accepts cash payments, AND that you have a CC in your "slimmer" wallet. Otherwise ... too bad, join the plebes near the "Golden Arches"....
In dinky airports MickeyD's is not for plebes
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by TomMM
Last year I flew on TP and their BPs have your entitlements(Lounge Access, Fast Track,etc) printed on them.
Yes, I had that on my BP last year from Belo Horizonte too. Problem is BHZ neither has a fast track nor does it have a lounge. TP probably printed those on my BP because of the facilities in LIS. My point is such nice text on airline issued documents (or *A rule books) means nothing if the contract lounge wants to see a voucher.

To show the irony: AI issues paper vouchers at checkin in IAD to their pax for entry to the TK lounge. So TAV, who runs the lounge for TK there (and regularly admits any eligible *A pax just based on the BP), made a contract in July 2017 with a *A carrier that requires paper voucher.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Or you could buy an extra seat and fly your lawyer around with you.
I already do that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.