Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Program that allows you to customize your itinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, AS MVP Gold

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the best to ask, but here it goes:

I'm interested in booking the following (or similar) itinerary using miles:

10/9: CPH-VNO (SAS)
10/10: VNO-WAW (LOT)
10/11: WAW-BEG (LOT)
10/12: BEG-ATH (A3)

My plan is to maximize the layover rules (<24hrs) and find the best itinerary so that i can stay around ~20 hrs in each city. I have previously done this with United miles, but it's not viable anymore after the recent change to the UA website. I was wondering if anyone knows any other Star Alliance program will allow this? I tried on the Aeroplan website and it showed roundtrip price. If phone booking works that'd be awesome too, It'd be nice to visit all these cities on one award!

Thank you!
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by jazzmailman
Hi all,

My plan is to maximize the layover rules (<24hrs) and find the best itinerary so that i can stay around ~20 hrs in each city. I have previously done this with United miles, but it's not viable anymore after the recent change to the UA website. I was wondering if anyone knows any other Star Alliance program will allow this? I tried on the Aeroplan website and it showed roundtrip price. If phone booking works that'd be awesome too, It'd be nice to visit all these cities on one award!

Thank you!
Considering that two *A members fly CPH-ATH direct and there is a plethora of one stop options (LH, LX, OS, plus combinations), I doubt you will have much chance to score what you want...
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by jazzmailman
Hi all,

Thank you!
You have enough miles in all three FT programs? Wow! At any rate, A3 will not allow more than one connection, that won't work.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:05 am

Miles and More also does not allow four segments for itineraries inside one region. I don't know if other Star programs would allow four segments.
But even if you cannot book online you should be able to call and spoon feed the flights - as long as you stay inside the rules of that program.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Miles and More also does not allow four segments for itineraries inside one region. I don't know if other Star programs would allow four segments.
But even if you cannot book online you should be able to call and spoon feed the flights - as long as you stay inside the rules of that program.
Thanks for the tip on Miles and More.

To be clear to the other posters, i'm looking for a Star Alliance program that will ticket 4 segments on *one* ticket (the above itinerary is just an example), basically just calling and feeding the flights. I know ANA will do it, but their program only allows roundtrips, so with fuel charges, doesn't exactly save me money.

Here's what i know so far (allows you to choose the award flights you want):

ANA: Yes (but roundtrip only)
Asiana: I've customized 3 flights before, but it was transatlantic
Aegean: only allows 2 segments on 1 ticket (even transatlantic or pacific)
Miles & More: doesn't allow 4 segments
Aeroplan: ? (website prices each segment individually)
United: Used to be able to do it online, now even agents can't do it
SQ: no experience
lifemiles: ?

Hope that makes my question more clear... just wondering if anyone has any experience...

thank you!
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Makes little bit more sense, but I think you would struggle making 4 segments... Definitely not inside of one region as in the example you provided. Even more segments could be challenging, although, I personally had MEL-SIN(20hr)-FRA(18hr)-LIS. Actually SIN layover was forced and I managed to milk out STPC for it, the FRA was requested since I had business meeting in the city before continuing to LIS for conference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.