Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

SA Gold - guest access for contract lounges?

Old Feb 1, 18, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Hello I have a tricky question. My partner and I are thinking of travelling to Europe on separate itineraries, but returning home on the exact same flight (Air Canada direct from Dublin > Toronto).

My partner has Air Canada status = Elite 75K, thus Star Alliance Gold lounge privileges. From my limited understanding Dublin only has contracted Star Alliance lounges.

The tricky part = my partner is thinking of booking directly through Air Canada, thus his boarding pass would have an Air Canada flight number. I might book my itinerary through Lufthansa and the Dublin flight is showing up as a Lufthansa flight number (guessing a codeshare). But I could end up with a boarding pass that shows only the Lufthansa flight number?

Again from my limited understanding contracted lounges have stricter guest access rules than normal Star Alliance lounges.

Does anybody know if my partner and I would both have complimentary access to any lounge in Dublin Terminal 1? Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 18, 5:39 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by phillr View Post
Hello I have a tricky question. My partner and I are thinking of travelling to Europe on separate itineraries, but returning home on the exact same flight (Air Canada direct from Dublin > Toronto).

My partner has Air Canada status = Elite 75K, thus Star Alliance Gold lounge privileges. From my limited understanding Dublin only has contracted Star Alliance lounges.

The tricky part = my partner is thinking of booking directly through Air Canada, thus his boarding pass would have an Air Canada flight number. I might book my itinerary through Lufthansa and the Dublin flight is showing up as a Lufthansa flight number (guessing a codeshare). But I could end up with a boarding pass that shows only the Lufthansa flight number?

Again from my limited understanding contracted lounges have stricter guest access rules than normal Star Alliance lounges.

Does anybody know if my partner and I would both have complimentary access to any lounge in Dublin Terminal 1? Thanks!
If you worry about all the different permutations of ticketing, etc, then yes, it's "tricky", as you say. But in actuality, there's nothing tricky about your query.

*G, which your partner has, are allowed one guest to all lounges they have access to, so long as that guest is flying a *A flight on the same day. Doesn't even have to be the same flight.

So if you're flying the air Canada flight, then you'll be granted access. even if you have a LH boarding pass.
Old Feb 1, 18, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
I'd add to what sol95 said, some contract lounges require an invitation card to enter, some only require your boarding pass. If this one requires an invitation card you'd need to from the check in counter or one card that is notated for 2 guests (I've seen them done both ways). If you're only transiting Dublin then I'd assume the transit counter could get the invitation cards for you as well (if required), though I've never had that situation personally since I always pretty much transit in Star Alliance airports.
Old Feb 2, 18, 3:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The contract lounge in Dublin doesn't need invite cards, they sort out the access using their system.
Old Feb 2, 18, 5:21 am

Programs: TK*G (E+)
Originally Posted by sol95 View Post

*G, which your partner has, are allowed one guest to all lounges they have access to, so long as that guest is flying a *A flight on the same day. Doesn't even have to be the same flight.

So if you're flying the air Canada flight, then you'll be granted access. even if you have a LH boarding pass.
AFAIK guest must be travelling on the same Star Alliance flight as *Gold member to get acces to Contract Lounge.
Old Feb 2, 18, 6:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The OP clearly said they are flying home on the same DUB-YYZ AC flight.
Old Feb 2, 18, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the super helpful advice. I shall consume food/drink in your honour(s).
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Feb 7, 18, 4:19 am

Programs: A3, AC, SQ, BA, OZ, LX, TK
Originally Posted by dromack View Post
AFAIK guest must be travelling on the same Star Alliance flight as *Gold member to get acces to Contract Lounge.
Isn't it same airline?
Old Feb 7, 18, 6:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
The official rules can be found at Lounge Access Policy - Star Alliance - Star Alliance. Emphasis added:
You are entitled to a maximum of one guest, who must be travelling on the same Star Alliance flight as you are.
Old Feb 8, 18, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
The official rules can be found at Lounge Access Policy - Star Alliance - Star Alliance. Emphasis added:
Is that new? I seem to remember it being the same airline previously.
Old Feb 8, 18, 12:21 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar View Post
Is that new? I seem to remember it being the same airline previously.
AFAIK, that's the way it's always been for contract lounges.
Old Feb 9, 18, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
AFAIK, that's the way it's always been for contract lounges.
https://web.archive.org/web/20170731...-access-policy

It definitely seems to be a recent change. Using the web archive, as recently as 31.07.17 it was same airline. Kind of curious what prompted the change.
Old Mar 4, 18, 2:11 pm

My wife (who is Star Gold) was recently denied any lounge access in Dublin, flying in Y on United. Was told only J passengers received lounge privileges.
Old Mar 4, 18, 5:47 pm

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by Filzee View Post
My wife (who is Star Gold) was recently denied any lounge access in Dublin, flying in Y on United. Was told only J passengers received lounge privileges.
There appear to be 3 contract lounges serving *A in DUB. Which one was it ? Maybe they don't all serve UA *G flying Y ?
Dublin International Airport - Star Alliance

In any case, it seems like you have to have all your (extra) ducks in a row for some contract lounges (more than as required in *A rules), and even then some may still refuse access ...

1. Ask at checkin if you need an invite for the contract lounge.
2. Have your gold card.
3. Have *G on your BP.
4. Cross your fingers.
Old Mar 4, 18, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by timster View Post
There appear to be 3 contract lounges serving *A in DUB. Which one was it? Maybe they don't all serve UA *G flying Y?
Correct, not all *A lounges are *G lounges.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: