Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Gulf Airlines to Join Star Alliance ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gulf Airlines to Join Star Alliance ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2018, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile Gulf Airlines to Join Star Alliance ?

Any chance that a Gulf Based Carrier, like Etihad, Gulf Air or Emirates will join the Star Alliance in 2018 ?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 3:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not really. Definitely not Emirates.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Right now there aren't any rumors floating around of anyone joining anytime soon, so considering the process is usually quite long I'd say the chance of anyone new, in the Gulf region or otherwise, in 2018 is pretty near zero.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dvs7310
considering the process is usually quite long I'd say the chance of anyone new, in the Gulf region or otherwise, in 2018 is pretty near zero.
I'd say exactly zero.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:28 pm

If there was the announcements would have started in 2016 (based on past experience)...There would be LITTLE doubt about it!
gpeso8 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Well Etihad has long been rumored to. Especially after signing a partner agreement with LH. But recently, it's been looking more likely that they'll merge with EK, and in that case I would say there's zero chance of joining *A.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:08 am

Back to your original post, I don't think many people not living in Bahrain would really be cheering for GF, even if they did want to join. That's not at all the carrier that it used to be, a few steps above KU though I guess. These days I think most people would want WY. Both are similar size but WY seems to be growing and offers a solid product.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Gold, HHonors, Priority Pass, Global entry/TSA Pre
I would love for one of the 3 gulf carriers to join even though I doubt it would happen.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
QR were lined up several years ago but as many will remember LH were obstructive at the time - as they have consistently been with all the gulf carriers and the result was QR very quickly going to oneworld.

On the basis that EK will never join, EY might if they remain independent, no one would want GF which only really leaves WY who are very niche but they do have good products.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by gpicur
Any chance that a Gulf Based Carrier, like Etihad, Gulf Air or Emirates will join the Star Alliance in 2018 ?
There's room for a lot of overall improvement for GF , however with their new CEO ....a star alliance guy AND the announcement yesterday of their route expansion within and near the Gulf, I would say that they have a clear strategy now and I would imagine that would ideally include becoming a star alliance member. It surely would have come to their attention that *A has an absence in that region.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:31 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
What is the general opinion profitability-wise about whether QR helped itself or hurt itself by joining OW?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
What is the general opinion profitability-wise about whether QR helped itself or hurt itself by joining OW?
Helped. Absolutely IMO.

The GCC blockade this past year has crushed the carrier financially, but being in OW was good for it based on everything I see.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Helped. Absolutely IMO.

The GCC blockade this past year has crushed the carrier financially, but being in OW was good for it based on everything I see.
Then one day or another, an ME carrier will join *A in the hope of reaping similar benefits, IMO. I am not sure why QR would benefit greatly from OW and another ME airline could not benefit in a similar way in *A.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
Then one day or another, an ME carrier will join *A in the hope of reaping similar benefits, IMO. I am not sure why QR would benefit greatly from OW and another ME airline could not benefit in a similar way in *A.
In the past it wasn't so much a willingness to join as it was LH blocking any efforts from a ME carrier to join. I don't think that same environment exists today, however the only ones that really exist anymore that could join are GF or WY. EK and EY are happy being lone wolves and going as they are. I'd personally love to see WY at some point, as it is now they offer some attractive business class fares in some useful markets and they aren't big enough to attract the negative attention of LH.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310
EK and EY are happy being lone wolves and going as they are.
I am curious why they prefer to stay alone if they see that OW was very positive for QR. In what ways are they different that they are better off alone, while it was not the case for QR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.