Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Swiss Y or Singapore Y (JFK to Europe)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR

Everything else being equal, is there is an objectively better Y product when comparing LX and SQ for a transatlantic (in terms of in-flight service offerings, seat room, etc.)?

I am referring to LX from JFK to ZRH or SQ from JFK to FRA.

Last edited by safra1; Dec 3, 2017 at 4:18 pm
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:07 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by safra1
Everything else being equal, is there is an objectively better Y product when comparing LZ and SQ for a transatlantic (in terms of in-flight service offerings, seat room, etc.)?

I am referring to LZ from JFK to ZRH or SQ from JFK to FRA.
Probably easier to get rebooked in case of irrops on LX than SQ considering SQ has one flight while Lufthansa Group has many. I can't comment on hard/soft service for either airline.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes, SQ is an objectively better product. Widebody with best regular Y pitch and service in the air. LX will be considerably more cramped.

Note that Swiss is LX, not LZ.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:25 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
Note that Swiss is LX, not LZ.
But Swiss Global is LZ (see the recent thread about whether LZ miles earn credit on UA).
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1P
But Swiss Global is LZ (see the recent thread about whether LZ miles earn credit on UA).
So what? JFK-ZRH is not operated by "Swiss Global." Further, the "LZ" IATA code is not relevant to anything. There are no "LZ" flights. All "Swiss Global" flights bear a native "LX" flight number.

It is simply erroneous to refer to Swiss Airways as "LZ."
CJR likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
Singapore Y is one if the better Y experiences available, and a lot of Singapore Y fares earn 100% miles in many FFPs. However Swiss probably has the edge in the event of irrops.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
If you are a Star Gold I'd suggest you fly with LX, since they do lots of upgrades on oversold flights. SQ you get zilch besides good service. Yep you will take a chance with LX about the upgrade but book Thur, Fri or SAT departures.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:01 pm

Currently LX is using the A330 with 8 across.
I believe some time next year they plan to replace it with a 777. 10 across in Y is torture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.