Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

First Mileage Run - Transiting in NRT for 5hrs...best lounge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Hi there, am traveling Economy plus, just mileage running for status. Have Star Alliance Gold (through UA) and Priority Pass, any decent lounges for a 5 hour layover in Narita? I have read that the Priority Pass lounges are poor at best.

I have gotten upgraded to Business class from Narita to Guam so maybe that gets me access to some better lounges? Your help is appreciated!
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There are two NH lounges plus the United Club. With five hours, I would go to the NH lounge in the Number 5 Satellite (50s gates) and the United Club (skipping the NH lounge in the Number 4 Satellite). NH lounge has noodle bar. There's a lengthy thread in the UA forum about which NRT lounges are best.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:34 pm

Skip the lounges. Head through immigration and on to the train for a quick ride to Narita town. Have lunch/dinner and wander the couple blocks around the train station. Head back in time for the departure.

Yes, the ANA lounges have a noodle bar. But compared to non-airport lounge food it really isn't all that impressive. Even when I cannot leave the terminal (i.e. shorter connection) I'll pay for a sushi meal in the terminal rather than grazing over lounge snacks. I'm worth it.
garykung and te36 like this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I've lived here for quite a long time and I stopped going to the airport any earlier than I need to, the lounges are extremely lackluster at best. Luggage check cutoff is 1 hour, so that's exactly when I show up. *G security never takes more than 5 minutes and residents with Automated Gate immigration need not worry about lines there either, a non-resident should budget 15-20 mins for exit immigration on a busy day but often there is no queue at all.

I know some people like the noodle bar in the NH lounges but it's not to my taste, and aside from that, both the NH and UA lounges suck about equally. Food selection (aside from the noodle bar) is extremely limited. NH does have a pretty decent sake bar if you want to try that. Your Priority Pass will get you into the KE lounge also which is the same terminal but the other end, near the DL gates. I haven't been in it for about 10 years so can't comment on how it is now.

With 5 hours on your hands, I tend to agree, go into Narita town and walk around a bit. It's pretty close to the airport with frequent trains.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by sbm12
Skip the lounges. Head through immigration and on to the train for a quick ride to Narita town. Have lunch/dinner and wander the couple blocks around the train station. Head back in time for the departure.

Yes, the ANA lounges have a noodle bar. But compared to non-airport lounge food it really isn't all that impressive. Even when I cannot leave the terminal (i.e. shorter connection) I'll pay for a sushi meal in the terminal rather than grazing over lounge snacks. I'm worth it.
+1 that would be also what I would say. If you don't feel like taking the train, you could just exit the immigration and dine / shop around at the Narita airport. The selection is better in the terminal outside the security than inside.

If you do stay within the lounges, the only real difference between NH lounge and UC is the aforementioned noodle bar (with long line) and the type of beer (NH = Asahi, UC = Suntory + nice beer pouring machine). I like Suntory beer better so UC for me.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I wouldn't leave NRT for a five hour layover, it's too much of a hassle clearing Japan immigration . . . can easily be 30-45 minutes each direction. YMMV.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:35 am

Programs: *G, LO SEN, Shangri-la Diamond

I totally recommend going out. I did exactly that one my last 5h connection in NRT. Easily made it to town and had a chance to walk through the city, park and the temple. Sometimes there are community tours organized, check NRT website for latest info on that. I also agree that NRT has decent food to eat at the terminal (I had a v.good ramen).
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I'll pay for a sushi meal in the terminal rather than grazing over lounge snacks.
It is too expensive...when you look at the price...
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
It is too expensive...when you look at the price...
It is more expensive than getting comparable sushi elsewhere outside the airport. But as airport food goes in that terminal it is my preferred choice. I certainly wouldn't let the fact that it has a cost color my view of the quality compared to the decidedly mediocre sushi offerings occasionally present in the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.