Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Advice on Business (I) lounge in PEK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

We are connecting through PEK in Business I class on our way to Sydney and our layover is 8 hours. The last time we flew through PEK, there was a sign that said 2 hours or less layover turn right, longer turn left. We want to make SURE we get to the business class lounge for this lengthy layover. Which way do we go?

Thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:51 pm

Sorry, I'm not mean, but how could anyone give you a good and valid piece of advice? Where was the sign, which gate did you arrive at, where did you arrive from, which company? There are several questions of the kind, in addition to the fact that left and right are simply very, very relative! But don't worry, with 8 hours to kill you'll be glad for any minute spent finding the right lounge!
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Im presuming you are on Star Alliance and using the Air China lounge. I know of only one and it doesnt have a time limit. From memory it is near gate 19? Im sure you can google it.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Yeah, I've been through PEK dozens of times and never seen anything like that in the CA lounges (either C or F). Were you flying SQ or another airline that uses the contract lounge instead?

With 8 hours you could quite easily leave the airport for a bit of time. Not enough to do much sightseeing, but I believe it is enough time to get a very brief Great Wall tour or even snap a couple of photos of something downtown. I'd at the very least head into the Chaoyang area for a meal.

I've spent 5 hours in transit at that airport before and was nearly completely mental by the end of it. The wifi often doesn't work at all and is slow when it does work. There is literally no other form of entertainment in the lounge. They do have showers but they are a bit nasty and I wouldn't use them again unless I was feeling really grungy.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Good Advice

Yes, we are flying CA. Wouldn't want to risk missing our flight to Sydney, but spending that much time in the Business lounge doesn't sound very inviting!
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Yeah, I've been through PEK dozens of times and never seen anything like that in the CA lounges (either C or F). Were you flying SQ or another airline that uses the contract lounge instead?

With 8 hours you could quite easily leave the airport for a bit of time. Not enough to do much sightseeing, but I believe it is enough time to get a very brief Great Wall tour or even snap a couple of photos of something downtown. I'd at the very least head into the Chaoyang area for a meal.

I've spent 5 hours in transit at that airport before and was nearly completely mental by the end of it. The wifi often doesn't work at all and is slow when it does work. There is literally no other form of entertainment in the lounge. They do have showers but they are a bit nasty and I wouldn't use them again unless I was feeling really grungy.

8 hours for a RT from PEK to Great Wall is not enough. The ride would already cost you 2.5hrs one-way, so 5 hours ride RT.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all!

Thanks, I think I have what I need now to decide how to spend our layover, Maybe a good long, book! We have only flown through PEK once, and as soon as we deplaned, we encountered a sign that read: 2 hours or less layover turn right, over 2 hours turn left. Apparently this isn't standard procedure, as no one seems to have heard of it. I don't recall what airline we were flying, but it was on United miles. We were headed to Phuket. I'm sure we will eventually find the CA business lounge regardless.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just ignore any such signs and head to the transfer security.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Benster
Thanks, I think I have what I need now to decide how to spend our layover, Maybe a good long, book! We have only flown through PEK once, and as soon as we deplaned, we encountered a sign that read: 2 hours or less layover turn right, over 2 hours turn left. Apparently this isn't standard procedure, as no one seems to have heard of it. I don't recall what airline we were flying, but it was on United miles. We were headed to Phuket. I'm sure we will eventually find the CA business lounge regardless.
Ok, I thought you meant the sign was in the lounge itself. Sounds like it was something to get people expedited through transit security who had short connections. Sometimes the queue to get through the passport check for transit can be quite long and then after that the security circus is always long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.