Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

*A partner with no fee for UA close-in awards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards

I asked this question in the "simple question" thread and got no response. It's not really a MP question, but I'm not sure which other forum would be more appropriate.

I might book a United metal domestic close-in award flight (SFO-ONT). I'm looking for a way around the $75 fee.

I don't have the Chase United Club CC, or United status. I'm not particularly interested in the gamble of booking far into the future and then calling them to change dates, hoping the CSR forgets the $75 fee (or any other fees).

What I'd really like would be a Star Alliance partner where booking a United flight online is easy, and there's no close-in award fee. It's an itinerary I expect to repeat every few months (sometimes on short notice) so I do place some value on simplicity (not having to call and just fish around for different dates, or worry the CSR will make an error). My alternative is to fly out of LAX, which involves more complicated ground transportation but is otherwise reasonable.

Does that exist? I have lots of MR/UR/SPG and a few TY, so can access a lot of award charts.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:15 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As the question is about which *A partner (other than UA), will move this to the *A forum.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
As far as I know, Lufthansa does not levy a late booking fee. SFO-ONT would 12,500 miles (they don't have a discount for short flights) one way. But partner awards are not available online so you would have to call in each time.

Can you possibly work out something on from Northern to Southern Cal on AA? BA would be 7500 Avios each way for a flight like that and they also don't have close-in booking fees. And you can easily do domestic AA bookings online. The main disadvantage is that I've heard that availability on AA isn't very good.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:25 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CarefulBuilder14
I asked this question in the "simple question" thread and got no response. It's not really a MP question, but I'm not sure which other forum would be more appropriate.

I might book a United metal domestic close-in award flight (SFO-ONT). I'm looking for a way around the $75 fee.

I don't have the Chase United Club CC, or United status. I'm not particularly interested in the gamble of booking far into the future and then calling them to change dates, hoping the CSR forgets the $75 fee (or any other fees).

What I'd really like would be a Star Alliance partner where booking a United flight online is easy, and there's no close-in award fee. It's an itinerary I expect to repeat every few months (sometimes on short notice) so I do place some value on simplicity (not having to call and just fish around for different dates, or worry the CSR will make an error). My alternative is to fly out of LAX, which involves more complicated ground transportation but is otherwise reasonable.

Does that exist? I have lots of MR/UR/SPG and a few TY, so can access a lot of award charts.
Almost every other *A program other than UA will work. A caveat would be OZ (Asiana) as you have to book your award at least 3 days ahead of flight day. But I believe that's the only program with such a restriction.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
M&M is currently implementing an update to their website to allow online booking of UA awards later this year.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:21 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zeer0
Almost every other *A program other than UA will work. A caveat would be OZ (Asiana) as you have to book your award at least 3 days ahead of flight day. But I believe that's the only program with such a restriction.
Correction: I just realized I skipped over the part where you wanted it to be online. I believe there are still a good number of programs that allow you to book online. Aeroplan & ANA definitely allow you to book United awards online. OZ does too (>3 days) but it's a very convoluted process through their Korean website. So I would stick with the two above, as both are also transferrable currencies, if that matters to you.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:14 am

Fyi - OAK to ONT ow for next week is $114 on Southwest.
OAK does not typically see the delays that SFO does, it might be worth it for such a short flight.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As the question is about which *A partner (other than UA), will move this to the *A forum.
Thanks, I overlooked this section.

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
Can you possibly work out something on from Northern to Southern Cal on AA? BA would be 7500 Avios each way for a flight like that and they also don't have close-in booking fees. And you can easily do domestic AA bookings online. The main disadvantage is that I've heard that availability on AA isn't very good.
Flying AA from LAX-SFO is an option. But getting to ONT is easier, and United is the only carrier that flies ONT-SFO. I've seen LAX-SFO on Delta for as little as 5k each way, and that is another good option to have.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
M&M is currently implementing an update to their website to allow online booking of UA awards later this year.
Good to know.

Originally Posted by zeer0
Correction: I just realized I skipped over the part where you wanted it to be online. I believe there are still a good number of programs that allow you to book online. Aeroplan & ANA definitely allow you to book United awards online. OZ does too (>3 days) but it's a very convoluted process through their Korean website. So I would stick with the two above, as both are also transferrable currencies, if that matters to you.
Aeroplan.com works well! I was trying to use aircanada.com before and was getting error messages when trying to book a domestic USA flight. I've linked Aeroplan on Amex as a transfer partner.

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Fyi - OAK to ONT ow for next week is $114 on Southwest.
OAK does not typically see the delays that SFO does, it might be worth it for such a short flight.
SFO is closer to my destination...and has the Cent lounge convenient for United flights.

Thanks, everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.