Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Which airline is responsible for delayed/lost luggage on a multi-leg journey?

Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP, Delta Sky Miles, AA Advantage

A few days ago I was supposed to be flying PIT-YYZ-FRA-LED (first leg on AC, the rest with LH) on LH-issued ticket. AC's PIT-YYZ flight was overbooked. I voluntarily gave up my seat on that flight (couldn't say NO to 400 USD in cash) and was rerouted. My new itinerary was PIT-IAD-FRA-LED. First two legs were on UA, last one - on LH. The gate agent (working for UA, because United handles all AC's operations in PIT) managed to generate a new, UA-specific PNR-code for my itinerary and re-labeled both bags with the new tags, showing the new routing. Original AC's tags have been removed.

When I arrived to LED, one of my bags showed up but the other one was missing. I filed "property irregularity report" with the airport baggage handling agent and, since LH fly the last leg, received LH-specific file number. It has been almost 48 hours since then but the bag hasn't showed up in the tracing system.

If my luggage gets lost, with which airline shall I file the claim for compensation? Should it be LH (they issued the ticket as well as claim number), AC (their flight was overbooked, which caused my re-routing) or UA (they issued the bag tag)? Most likely the bag was lost by either LH or UA and AC has nothing to do with it. So, what prevails: UA's bag tag or LH's ticket and/or file number?

If the bag shows up a few days later, with which airline shall I file the claim for reimbursement for purchasing the necessities (toiletries, clothing, etc): LH or UA? And, if the bag never shows up, will I be compensated only for its contents or for the purchased necessities as well?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I'm sure someone else will chime in soon with a more definitive answer, but to my understanding the responsibility falls on the carrier who issued the tag. I've been told this is one reason why some carriers are reluctant to interline bags on separate tickets because they don't want to be held responsible if something happens downline after they have turned over possession to the second, separately ticketed, carrier.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
No. The last operating carrier will be responsible for delivering the bag to you. That is also why you have received a LH reference No; your point of contact is LH regardless where your bag misconnected.

I would wait until the bag is delivered. From the rush baggage tag on your bag, you will be able to tell where the bag misconnected. You may also be able to see it in the WorldTracerWeb system (you should be able to log with name and LH reference No.). Once it is clear where you bag failed to make the flight, you turn to that carrier for reimbursement. You may also stick to LH and let LH seek reimbursement from UA, if this is a UA issue.

AC has nothing to do with this; neither has the ticket issuing carrier. Either it is UA or LH as they were the operating carriers.

If you have travel insurance it is far easier to get reimbursed there. Keep all receipts; you are going to use originals for the reimbursement. You will get reimbursed for any reasonable purchases made until the bag is delivered. There might be a monetary limit but I'm not aware of policies of LH and UA on this.

Most likely your bag will turn up at some stage. 48h and no trace of it does not mean that it is lost.

Last edited by SK AAR; Oct 9, 2017 at 3:28 am
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by dvs7310
I'm sure someone else will chime in soon with a more definitive answer, but to my understanding the responsibility falls on the carrier who issued the tag. I've been told this is one reason why some carriers are reluctant to interline bags on separate tickets because they don't want to be held responsible if something happens downline after they have turned over possession to the second, separately ticketed, carrier.
This is incorrect. The responsibility for delivering and compensating for loss, damage or interim expenses, is solely the responsibility of the last-delivering carrier, e.g. LH. This is regardless of fault (LH is free to pursue AC or UA if it wishes to do so), but the customer deals with the carrier on the ground.

This is a sensible rule and has worked well for 50+ years. In this case, neither UA nor AC serve LED and it is LH which will have the ground-handling and courier capabilities to physically have the bag delivered.

Make certain that you keep LH up-to-date and that it has a good mobile number and solid delivery address. You should be able to locate your claim in WorldTracer and you will then have online access to the same information accessible to LH.

This is not to suggest that if you see that your bag is sitting at YYZ, that you can't call AC but do understand that if AC receives conflicting information, the problem starts all over again.

Hold off on compensation until after your bag shows up (or does not). Keep receipts for reasonable expenses and follow LH's instructions for reimbursement.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
The responsibility for delivering and compensating for loss, damage or interim expenses, is solely the responsibility of the last-delivering carrier, e.g. LH. This is regardless of fault (LH is free to pursue AC or UA if it wishes to do so), but the customer deals with the carrier on the ground.
This has been my understanding as well until a few months ago, when I was supposed to be flying from Chicago IL (ORD) to Helsinki, Finland (HEL) via Washington DC (IAD) and Munich, Germany (MUC) on United Airlines and Lufthansa. The first flight (UA, ORD-IAD) was delayed due to mechanical reasons to a point where I would have surely missed my connecting flight in Washington. Because of that I have been involuntary rebooked on a direct UA's flight ORD-MUC with further connection to Helsinki on Finnair. Also I was told that I would receive the boarding pass for the Munich-Helsinki flight from Finnair’s staff in Munich (United’s agent who did the rebooking was unable to access Finnair’s system). Both pieces of luggage were not re-tagged.

However, upon arriving to Munich I was denied boarding the Finnair flight. Neither Finnair, not United employees were able to explain me the reason for denied boarding. They mentioned something about the rebooking been done incorrectly. Nevertheless, once again I have been involuntarily rebooked. This time on a later LH’s direct flight MUC-HEL.

As a result of all that ordeal I have arrived to Helsinki seven hours later than I was supposed to. Also my bag was missing and has not been delivered to me until the next day. Hence, I had to go and buy some necessities such as toiletries and skincare products. Even though the PIR claim number was under LH's name (HELLHxxxxx) they suggested that I deal with UA on this matter, since they were the ones who caused all the mess. I filed the reimbursement claim with UA and they paid it. Not LH.

Last edited by GREAKLY; Oct 9, 2017 at 10:17 am
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:16 am
Original Poster

The responsibility for delivering and compensating for loss, damage or interim expenses, is solely the responsibility of the last-delivering carrier.
Where does this come from? I mean, is there any chapter in the aviation law (Montreal, Warsaw, etc), which specifically states that?

If after 21 days my bag is declared lost will I be compensated separately for purchasing the necessities AND for contents of the luggage or together? In other words, as per Montreal 22.2 will I get up to 1131 SDR for each one or together?

Last edited by GREAKLY; Oct 9, 2017 at 10:56 am
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:26 am
Suspended

Simply IATA convention accepting a common sense reading of the Montreal Convention which points to LH because LH did not deliver the bag.

On the 21st day, the OP would have a claim for as much as approximately EUR 1,410 (SDR will vary slightly by day) which would be total of the fair market value of the bag itself, its contents and any interim reimbursements (which essentially replace items in the bag).

If you have an old beat up suitcase and worn clothes, the fair market value can amount to not much, sometimes a good reason to consider whether your travel insurance is for replacement cost).
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GREAKLY
This has been my understanding as well until a few months ago, when I was supposed to be flying from Chicago IL (ORD) to Helsinki, Finland (HEL) via Washington DC (IAD) and Munich, Germany (MUC) on United Airlines and Lufthansa. The first flight (UA, ORD-IAD) was delayed due to mechanical reasons to a point where I would have surely missed my connecting flight in Washington. Because of that I have been involuntary rebooked on a direct UA's flight ORD-MUC with further connection to Helsinki on Finnair. Also I was told that I would receive the boarding pass for the Munich-Helsinki flight from Finnair’s staff in Munich (United’s agent who did the rebooking was unable to access Finnair’s system). Both pieces of luggage were not re-tagged.

However, upon arriving to Munich I was denied boarding the Finnair flight. Neither Finnair, not United employees were able to explain me the reason for denied boarding. They mentioned something about the rebooking been done incorrectly. Nevertheless, once again I have been involuntarily rebooked. This time on a later LH’s direct flight MUC-HEL.

As a result of all that ordeal I have arrived to Helsinki seven hours later than I was supposed to. Also my bag was missing and has not been delivered to me until the next day. Hence, I had to go and buy some necessities such as toiletries and skincare products. Even though the PIR claim number was under LH's name (HELLHxxxxx) they suggested that I deal with UA on this matter, since they were the ones who caused all the mess. I filed the reimbursement claim with UA and they paid it. Not LH.
You could have pushed back on LH if you had wished, but it's not uncommon for carriers to pawn of liability. Low-level LH staff may not even appreciate that UA is a JV partner and thus who pays what is irrelevant.

Had UA told you to go back to LH for what I presume was a smallish pittance, you could have done so.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Had UA told you to go back to LH for what I presume was a smallish pittance, you could have done so.
I am not sure if 320 euros is considered "smallish" and/or "pittance". Most people do not realize how valuable their toiletry bags are. I am/was missing facial cream for 100 euros, eye cream for 80 euros, hand cream for 50 euros and cologne for 70 euros. Plus small stuff, like shampoo, toothpaste and etc.

So it was reasonable for me to buy all that stuff as soon as the bag was delayed. If it were my wife's bag, the amount would have been more in the 500-1000 euros ballpark (more perfume, lotions, makeup and etc.). Add to that a change of clothing (underwear, socks, shirt/blouse, pants/jeans, shoes, warm jacket, etc.) and I can easily see justifiable spendings of 1000-1500 euros even if the bag is missing for just 24 hours.

Last edited by GREAKLY; Oct 9, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

On the 21st day, the OP would have a claim for as much as approximately EUR 1,410 (SDR will vary slightly by day) which would be total of the fair market value of the bag itself, its contents and any interim reimbursements (which essentially replace items in the bag).
Are you saying that the value of items I buy while waiting for my luggage to arrive will be deducted from 1131 SDR should, after 21 days, the bag is declared lost? I thought under Montreal 22.2 "delayed bag" and "lost bag" were two different cases, each one compensated with 1131 SDR.

I also read that if the bag is found AFTER the compensation has been paid the customer would still be reimbursed with 100% for toiletries while only 50% for clothing. Is it ture?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

..and I can easily see justifiable spendings of 1000-1500 euros even if the bag is missing for just 24 hours.
No sane carrier or travel insurance comp. is going to reimburse excessive amounts like this. Only reasonable purchases made will be reimbursed. Missing your bag 1-2 days does not mean that you are entitled to do a shopping frenzy. If I was LH/UA or your travel insurance I would only reimburse a fraction of the costs for lotion, cologne, hand cream, eye cream etc which I'm sure will have plenty of value left once your bag is recovered and delivered to you.

You are not going to get compensation for a lost bag and its contents AND reimbursement for purchases made. The compensation is suppose to put you in a position to purchase the items lost. That is why reimbursements already made will be set-off in the compensation.

Last edited by SK AAR; Oct 10, 2017 at 5:03 am
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
No sane carrier or travel insurance comp. is going to reimburse excessive amounts like this. Only reasonable purchases made will be reimbursed. Missing your bag 1-2 days does not mean that you are entitled to do a shopping frenzy. If I was LH/UA or your travel insurance I would only reimburse a fraction of the costs for lotion, cologne, hand cream, eye cream etc which I'm sure will have plenty of value left once your bag is recovered and delivered to you.
As I mentioned earlier, on the previous occasion UA reimbursed me 320 euros for purchasing eye, hand and facial cream, cologne, shampoo and etc. I do not see anything unreasonable about that. These are the kind of products I normally use. I did not want to buy them again but by losing my luggage the airline forced me to do that. Hence, under Montreal 22.2, they have to reimburse me for such purchases. Unfortunately those cosmetic products are not offered in "single-time-use" packaging. So I had to buy the smallest available sizes. If the airline wants to argue the remaining value, they are more than welcome to have what's left and do whatever they want with it. Otherwise, next time you have a car accident your auto insurance company would use the same logic and pay you only a fraction of the total cost of your car, claiming that there is plenty of value left in the wreckage.

Are you suggesting that in such case I should buy cheaper toiletries than I normally use to make it "reasonable"?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you suggesting that in such case I should buy cheaper toiletries than I normally use to make it "reasonable"?
Yes.

Expensive hand cream, eye cream etc is not a neccessity IMO. You should be perfectly able to do without them for a couple of days (or with a cheaper brand)
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Otherwise, next time you have a car accident your auto insurance company would use the same logic and pay you only a fraction of the total cost of your car, claiming that there is plenty of value left in the wreckage.
The difference is that whilst the wreckage is of no value, the remainder of various creams can still be used and is of significant value (and most likely you would have purchased similar products on your own dime when you are out of stock of these produts at a later stage)
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Yes. Expensive hand cream, eye cream etc is not a neccessity IMO. You should be perfectly able to do without them for a couple of days (or with a cheaper brand)
It took me a while to find skincare products that do not cause allergy. And they happen to be expensive (I guess, for that very reason). If I buy a cheaper product and end up in a hospital with the allergic reaction will the airline cover the bill and the cost of subsequent treatment? I doubt it.

I COULD live a few days without using any hygienic and cosmetic products. My wife COULD, probably, go for a few days without the makeup. And we both COULD wear the same clothing for a few days. But why SHOULD we. It's the airline, who is at fault, not us. Montreal 22.2 sets the limit of responsibility for delayed baggage. It doesn't say anything about reasonability and its criteria. Do you think, if such case goes to court, arguments like "one should be perfectly able to do without them for a couple of days (or with a cheaper brand)" would have any merit?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.