FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   Booked SQ using LH miles - I'm Star Gold on UA question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/1870671-booked-sq-using-lh-miles-im-star-gold-ua-question.html)

dhammer53 Oct 6, 2017 1:02 pm

Booked SQ using LH miles - I'm Star Gold on UA question

I booked an award ticket on SQ using my LH miles. I have no status on LH. I'm Star Gold on UA. Will *gold benefits apply?

Thanks.

Kiwi Flyer Oct 6, 2017 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53 (Post 28901535)
I booked an award ticket on SQ using my LH miles. I have no status on LH. I'm Star Gold on UA. Will *gold benefits apply?

Thanks.

Not without switching to the UA FF# in the booking (or adding it to the FQTS field), or showing the *G card (e.g. to enter a lounge).

dvs7310 Oct 6, 2017 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 28902117)
Not without switching to the UA FF# in the booking (or adding it to the FQTS field), or showing the *G card (e.g. to enter a lounge).

Since it's a mileage ticket, there's no harm at all in switching the FF# in the booking. With rare exceptions, the OP would not have earned miles for the flights anyway.

malmostoso Oct 7, 2017 1:43 am

You will have a hard time changing your LH FFP# in the booking. To take advantage of the *G benefits make sure you have the physical card with you.

IluvSQ Oct 7, 2017 7:55 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53 (Post 28901535)

Thanks.

Yes, just show your card at check-in and at lounge.

AvidFlyer1990 Oct 7, 2017 8:43 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso (Post 28903309)
You will have a hard time changing your LH FFP# in the booking. To take advantage of the *G benefits make sure you have the physical card with you.

I agree! However, calling LH, and asking them to put in the UA *G number should work just fine.

Was exactly in a similar situation about a week ago: called LH, and asked them to put in my FF# that actually has status, and it was done without any problem.

And the status showed when I checked-in online, and when they printed my BPs at the counter.

GREAKLY Oct 10, 2017 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by dvs7310 (Post 28903093)
Since it's a mileage ticket, there's no harm at all in switching the FF# in the booking. With rare exceptions, the OP would not have earned miles for the flights anyway.

What are those "rare exceptions"? Can you elaborate on that.

dhammer53 Oct 10, 2017 9:51 pm

Thanks for the assist. ^

zeer0 Oct 16, 2017 2:30 am

Originally Posted by GREAKLY (Post 28917894)
What are those "rare exceptions"? Can you elaborate on that.

System screw up which ends up crediting miles for a fare that shouldn't have. I had something similar happen just recently with a UA BE fare on OZ for which I got status miles.

thejaredhuang Oct 16, 2017 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by zeer0 (Post 28937380)
System screw up which ends up crediting miles for a fare that shouldn't have. I had something similar happen just recently with a UA BE fare on OZ for which I got status miles.

BE (N) earns 50% on OZ, not really a screw up. The miles earned are only good for status, can't be used for redemptions.

SK AAR Oct 16, 2017 10:21 pm

As this is an M&M award, the OP will not be able to override his/her M&M No already in the reservation. This is not like revenue ticket where you will be able to change the FFP at OLCI or airport check-in counters.

Most agents will refuse to change the FFP citing that this is an award ticket and no miles/points will be earned - or by actually being unable to do so as the "system will not allow it".

As the OP will receive no miles (the exceptional events stated above is very unlikely) it really has no bearing whether the UA card is registered or not - just show the card at check-in for add. baggage allowance and for lounge access.

zeer0 Oct 17, 2017 12:48 am

Originally Posted by thejaredhuang (Post 28940426)
BE (N) earns 50% on OZ, not really a screw up. The miles earned are only good for status, can't be used for redemptions.

See that's the screw up. I got 50% for both. Honestly it's probably down to OZ's technological incompetence, although they do note on their site only one not the other for N.