FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   NZ*G refused entry to lounge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/1862533-nz-g-refused-entry-lounge.html)

plimflya Aug 22, 2017 12:32 pm

NZ*G refused entry to lounge

Flying SAS from Split Croatia to Barcelona via Stockholm I was refused entry to the crappy little box they call a lounge because supposedly SAS had not paid their fees for the year. I argued that it was a star alliance lounge and as a *G I had every right. She claimed that it was a contract lounge and as I was flying SAS and they had not paid their bill I didn't get access.

When I arrived in Stockholm I approached the desk in the lounge and was very well looked after by Annegrete who explained that SAS no longer paid up for the lounge there which seemed to accord with the advice from the lounge mistress. However on doing research on here it seems that:

a. It is listed on the Star Alliance website as a lounge.
b. Being *G I should have been given access.

I have tried to contact someone in SA to discuss this but it is probably easier to contact the Pope. Any feedback? Or any contacts in SA?

catocony Aug 22, 2017 2:27 pm

From SPU (small airport) on SAS, the SA site shows no lounges available. It's a contract lounge that only accepts Lufthansa and Croatia Airlines passengers.

There are only a few Star Alliance lounges around the world. There are many lounges run by the different member airlines. There are also contract lounges that some Star Alliance airlines have access to, but not all members. Many small airports have no lounge at all.

Star Alliance isn't a company, so there is no one to call. The SAS lounge people gave you the correct information.

plimflya Aug 22, 2017 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by catocony (Post 28722494)
From SPU (small airport) on SAS, the SA site shows no lounges available. It's a contract lounge that only accepts Lufthansa and Croatia Airlines passengers.

There are only a few Star Alliance lounges around the world. There are many lounges run by the different member airlines. There are also contract lounges that some Star Alliance airlines have access to, but not all members. Many small airports have no lounge at all.

Star Alliance isn't a company, so there is no one to call. The SAS lounge people gave you the correct information.

Except that when you look up lounges in Split on the Star Alliance website it claims there are 2 in Split? So are you saying they are misrepresenting the situation?

If you have Gold membership of Star Alliance and they claim the lounge in Split is one of them then surely you are entitled to use it.

SPlDER Aug 22, 2017 4:36 pm

You can find more on:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-...assengers.html

It's better to avoid SAS operated flights originating from regional airports ;-)

catocony Aug 22, 2017 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by plimflya (Post 28722969)
Except that when you look up lounges in Split on the Star Alliance website it claims there are 2 in Split? So are you saying they are misrepresenting the situation?

If you have Gold membership of Star Alliance and they claim the lounge in Split is one of them then surely you are entitled to use it.

Yes, there is a lounge that some Star Alliance passengers can use. That would be if you are flying on Lufthansa and Croatia Airlines. You have to use the Filters options to narrow down on airline, class of service, airline FF program and program status.

This is very common with contract lounges. When you just put in "SPU" and no filters, two lounges do come up. Two contract lounges, clearly annotated as such.

zeer0 Aug 23, 2017 12:56 am

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/12/17/sas-lounge-access-policy-changes/

Cost cutting at its finest.

plimflya Aug 23, 2017 1:57 am

Jeffrey Goh is the CEO at Star Alliance HQ

Originally Posted by catocony (Post 28722494)

So if they have a CEO it is quite incorrect of you to claim as you did "Star Alliance isn't a company, so there is no one to call".

plimflya Aug 23, 2017 2:42 am

Originally Posted by zeer0 (Post 28724332)
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/12/17/sas-lounge-access-policy-changes/

Cost cutting at its finest.

Sure is. Lesson is never book with SAS again. Thanks for the link to Onemileatatime very useful.

catocony Aug 23, 2017 7:30 am

Originally Posted by plimflya (Post 28724453)
So if they have a CEO it is quite incorrect of you to claim as you did "Star Alliance isn't a company, so there is no one to call".

Ok, then next time you know who to call to complain to.

Xiaotung Aug 23, 2017 7:47 am

To be fair, the lounge in Split is not operated by any member airline and is not a Star Gold designated lounge. It is up to the individual airlines to sign up contract lounges in these airports. You may have been spoiled by your home carrier NZ where they make sure any airport they serve you will get a lounge. Try flying UA in Mexico and South America, not having a contract lounge for *G is the norm. So I can see no rules being broken by SK.

The rule is simple. Look out for the Star Gold logo in front of the lounge entry.

Rami Tamimi Aug 23, 2017 8:47 am

Technically, there is no entitlment to access third party lounges not operated by Star Alliance members (like in OP's situation). Most member airlines still offer it,but they are within their rights not to.

malmostoso Aug 23, 2017 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by plimflya (Post 28722969)

*A Lounge Access Policy is (now) crystal clear about contract lounges (emphasis mine):

Contract Lounges

As a Star Alliance Gold customer you have access to third party Contract Lounges contracted by the member airline on which you are travelling. Simply present your boarding pass for a flight departing from the local airport with a Star Alliance member airline flight that has a contract with that lounge. If your boarding pass does not carry the Star Alliance Gold indicator, you will need also to show a valid Star Alliance Gold card. You are entitled to a maximum of one guest, who must be travelling on the same airline as you are. Paid Lounge Membership Customers are not entitled to use contract lounges.
SK didn't contract the lounge, you get no access.

chudu17 Aug 24, 2017 3:05 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso (Post 28726554)
*A Lounge Access Policy is (now) crystal clear about contract lounges (emphasis mine):

SK didn't contract the lounge, you get no access.

Agree. Normally when you check-in at the counter, the lady will let you know whether you will get the lounge access (especially for the third-party). E.g., I (LH SEN) was flying from KUL to SZX which operated by ZH (* A), the lady wrote the lounge name (the one from MH but not the *A lounges such as SilverKris or Royal Orchid) on my boarding pass and asked me to go there...:D

1353513636 Aug 26, 2017 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by chudu17 (Post 28729189)
Agree. Normally when you check-in at the counter, the lady will let you know whether you will get the lounge access (especially for the third-party). E.g., I (LH SEN) was flying from KUL to SZX which operated by ZH (* A), the lady wrote the lounge name (the one from MH but not the *A lounges such as SilverKris or Royal Orchid) on my boarding pass and asked me to go there...:D

Since ZH contracts the MH lounge, you had access. Since SilverKris and Royal Orchid are also *A lounges, you are entitled to use them. OP's situation is akin to wanting to use the MH lounge when flying SQ on the grounds that an *A member contracts it.

JVPhoto Aug 27, 2017 12:12 am

The gruff lady at SPU still had to manually enter the details of 3 of us (I was traveling alone but the guy ahead of me was United Gold with a guest) and it was done with a fair amount of huffing & puffing. Can confirm it was the same when another FT'er used the lounge.

Nothing on it indicates that it is for all *A.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFO1u7cUAAIjKq6.jpg