Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliances Gold status on Ebay for 1 month!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass

I know selling status online is illegal. But how can you generate *Gold status that will last only 1 month?

I'm curious how he's done it. I don't fly *Alliance enough otherwise may have invested
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Is this related to UA? There is also a general *A forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tomparskate
I know selling status online is illegal. But how can you generate *Gold status that will last only 1 month? ....
Star Alliance status is only derived from having status on a *A carrier. *A itself does not have a FF program.

Not sure what carrier's program is being offered or which program this post might more probably belong to.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tomparskate
I know selling status online is illegal. But how can you generate *Gold status that will last only 1 month?

I'm curious how he's done it. I don't fly *Alliance enough otherwise may have invested
I'm curious too. The person might have information about some trial promo. Alternatively, it could be gifted status (presumably for a relative or friend) that's expiring very soon.

Can you tell us the FF program (or even speculate) in which status is being offered? What is the price?

Note that different FF programs would generate different benefits at the *A *Gold level. They're not all equal.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:40 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Please follow this in the Star Alliance forum.

l'etoile
UA moderator
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Allianc...QAAOSw8l5Zd3-6

Thai Airways Gold?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
its a wee bit too risky. I am not about to give someone my PNR.
ermintrude likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:52 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The other items the seller has up for auction are "interesting" too.

Requesting PRNs is a bit creepy to me.

For their Asiana Diamond extension/upgrade offer they ask for your FF username and password.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Too funny. Sounds like some kind of digital / app thing. But it notes not usable on some *A airlines.

I wouldn't go near it, but I am sure they get someone interested. One born every minute and such.

The status works with most Airlines such as United, Air Canada, Swiss Airlines, Turkish Airlines, SAS, Copa Airlines, Air Newzealand, Air China etc.

However, it does not work with ANA, Lufthansa, and Asiana Airlines.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
If the status works with some airlines and not the others, it sounds to me like they are selling you their own *G membership number. Before *A upgraded their system, it did not match names with membership numbers. So that means you could enter somebody else's number and your boarding pass would still display *G even though you wouldn't get your miles. Perhaps some Star airline systems are still not integrated well enough and the loophole stills exists?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:02 pm

And where would the miles credit? To the seller's account?

Sneaky.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by TObject
And where would the miles credit? To the seller's account?

Sneaky.
No, you can't credit it to anywhere if the names do not match. But it didn't use to affect status to show on the boarding pass, hence the loophole. Star Alliance was aware of this but not sure where they are now in terms of technology.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
If the status works with some airlines and not the others, it sounds to me like they are selling you their own *G membership number. Before *A upgraded their system, it did not match names with membership numbers. So that means you could enter somebody else's number and your boarding pass would still display *G even though you wouldn't get your miles. Perhaps some Star airline systems are still not integrated well enough and the loophole stills exists?
*A still doesn't match names with membership numbers as far as I'm aware. Some airlines do, though. I don't think he/she could be just giving you their number because then it wouldn't work with any of the Amadeus airlines (SK, LX, NZ etc) because TG uses Amadeus, and airlines that don't use Starnet to verify could check that the names match.

I think it's a doctored digital card with their info replaced with yours and expiry date changed. *A policy is to honor the highest status proven so if your BP says no status but you show a *G card, they have to give you *G benefits (but don't always). The guy offers a refund if you don't get your benefits so that seems to suggest that he/she believes there is a possibility you won't get them.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
No, you can't credit it to anywhere if the names do not match. But it didn't use to affect status to show on the boarding pass, hence the loophole. Star Alliance was aware of this but not sure where they are now in terms of technology.
Not true, my sister who has the same last name as her husband but with a different first name was able to add miles to his account using his account number in error to fly.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:00 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
Originally Posted by 1353513636

I think it's a doctored digital card with their info replaced with yours and expiry date changed. .
I agree and think such use would be one of deception. So best to avoid.

I have a valid digital card properly obtained from my *A airline. It didn't need any PNRs to obtain. So any request for such information is an alarm signal. Avoid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.