Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

*A Lounge access - Will I have it at my layovers on this award ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Can I access lounge on all international locations I I am flying Business class on a United award ticket.
I am flying from KTM=>BKK (Thai)=>HGH (Air China)=>SFO (UA)=>MSP (UA).
I am mainly concerned to get a lounge access on BKK as I have 9 hour transit. I will land at 6:15 pm and my next flight is at 3:00 am. Is there any lounge that I can access for as long as possible? If that is not an option, can I pay to enter any of the lounge?
And lastly, can I access the SFO lounge upon arrival as I am traveling on United Polaris?
Thank you for all your feedback.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by naughim
I am mainly concerned to get a lounge access on BKK as I have 9 hour transit. I will land at 6:15 pm and my next flight is at 3:00 am. Is there any lounge that I can access for as long as possible? If that is not an option, can I pay to enter any of the lounge?
I'm not initimately familiar with the BKK lounges, but you should have access to any/all of the *A member lounges in BKK as a pax departing on a *A flight in Business Class.

And lastly, can I access the SFO lounge upon arrival as I am traveling on United Polaris?
Yes, as a customer in United Polaris business, you have access to the United Arrivals Lounge (landside) at SFO in addition to the United Clubs. The Arrivals Lounge has showers, which might be nice.

You also have access to the United Club in MSP on arrival, but I doubt you'd be interested
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Can I access lounge on all international locations I I am flying Business class on a United award ticket.
Thank you for all your feedback.
Short answer: Yes. You are eligible for partner *Alliance lounges because you are flying Business class. The eligible text you are looking for when searching would be "• Business Class passengers departing same day on any Star Alliance operating flight". This will get you into some lounges, like the Royal Orchid Lounge in BKK. It is free for business class passengers.

If you arrive before 12PM into SFO, then you can access the Arrivals lounge at SFO.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:52 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I am mainly concerned to get a lounge access on BKK as I have 9 hour transit. I will land at 6:15 pm and my next flight is at 3:00 am. Is there any lounge that I can access for as long as possible?
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
"• Business Class passengers departing same day on any Star Alliance operating flight". This will get you into some lounges, like the Royal Orchid Lounge in BKK. It is free for business class passengers.
Don't remember what time Royal Orchid lounge closes, but it does close overnight. IIRC it opens at 5 a.m., but that won't help you.

When you check in at Thai counter they will stamp your BP with lounge invitation, and I for one like the lounge (haven't tried any others at BKK).

From discussion in Thailand forum, Louis Tavern (spelling may be off) is open 24 hours, but from what's been posted it's not as nice as RO, and it's a pay lounge. There is also a landside hotel, but it's pricey.

Suggest visitig Thai and Thailand fora, there's a good chance they will have more info, but please word your posts (if any) in a way that does not break FT's no crossposting rule.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I'm pretty sure you'll be loungless for an hour or two in BKK before you flight. As others said if you arrive before 12 you can use the SFO arrivals lounge. From the INTL arrival go up the escalators across the check in counters and down the escalators connecting to the other terminal. It can be a little tricky but if you have the time it's nice to stop and I've never had to wait for a shower. They also have better food than the United Club so I would enjoy that for a bit over going to the UC once you go back through security.

If you can enter Thailand I would honestly rather go into Bangkok and get some food and kill time doing that.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:23 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto

If you can enter Thailand I would honestly rather go into Bangkok and get some food and kill time doing that.
Agree. IIRC, you should not have to pay exit tax, as it's connection.

ARL (Airport Rail Link) will get you to Bangkok quick and cheap, but you'll have to take a taxi back as it only runs till about midnight or so. I've used ARL on a five hour connection during the day. There is a left luggage place if you don't want to lug your stuff around - that's what I did, even though I don't check luggage.

A tip from an old Thailand hand, if you go this route, whatever you do, don't take a taxi that's parked, only a moving taxi.

Again see Thailand forum, and it will be clear why
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The new SQ lounge is probably the best option at BKK, but I don't think they have showers. You can visit all the *A lounges at BKK if you like. That includes TG, BR, and SQ. Nine hours is a long time in that airport.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:08 pm

In BKK the EVA lounge closes at 3.30am due to the late BKK-VIE departure
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A* departure lounge access is provided when departing on a *A International Business ticket (award or paid) {access is provided in other cases too, beyond the scope of the OP's question).

So access is possible at KTM, BKK, HGH
for lounges and hours see http://www.staralliance.com/lounge-finder

No departure lounge access at SFO but
UC access in SFO as arriving UA premium cabin passenger and access to the UA SFO Arrivals lounge as an arriving UA International Business (Polaris) if arriving before noon. (the UA HGH-SFO arrives at roughly 8AM).
Note the SFO Arrivals lounge is outside of security -- after clearing customs / immigration.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ls-lounge.html

=======
As this is mostly about *A lounge access, will move this to *A forum.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 7, 2017 at 12:41 am Reason: missed an access issue, blame jet lag
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No departure lounge access at SFO but potentially access to the UA SFO Arrivals lounge as an arriving UA International Business (Polaris) if arriving before noon. (the UA HGH-SFO arrives at roughly 8AM).
OP will have access to the United Club at SFO (and MSP) based on the same day UA Polaris business ticket. (I missed this one answering a similar question just last week.)
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:38 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
OP will have access to the United Club at SFO (and MSP) based on the same day UA Polaris business ticket. (I missed this one answering a similar question just last week.)
Yep -- did not put all the facts togther.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
{delete, wayyy too late to the party}
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:16 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
In BKK the EVA lounge closes at 3.30am due to the late BKK-VIE departure
Listed EVA (BR) closing times differ by day, but I have never been there that late, so YMMV.
WED/FRI/SUN: 06:00~02:30+1 ; MON/TUE/THU/SAT: 06:00~03:30+1

The TG lounges close at 2am, after all their flights to Europe leave. They get crowded late evening.

SQ closes at 11pm.

The TG and BR lounges have showers. SQ doesn't.

The TG lounges are generally regarded as rather poor lounges, and inferior to BR and SQ, esp for food.

The only chance of a bed airside is the Louis Tavern ... now Miracle I believe. But it's not cheap.

Exiting BKK and re-entering can be a hassle, so I would lean towards staying airside (esp if it's your first time in Thailand). Although there is almost nothing to do either airside or landside within the airport, and nothing much nearby. BKK is a pretty horrid modern airport IMHO. I imagine after midnight it's even worse.

My plan would probably be SQ or BR early evening for food, and maybe try to sleep (I read somewhere that SQ now have secluded seating rooms since the renovation). Shower at BR after midnight to prepare for your next flight ?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
How is entering or exiting BKK a hassle? It will probably take a combined 30 min and for the train to Siam and a taxi back you're spending less than $10. Beats sitting in a lounge for hours.
I think if a traveler can handle Nepal they should be able to manage a evening in Bangkok.

Edit: and just checking the OP will be in J and have access to the priority lanes.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
How is entering or exiting BKK a hassle? It will probably take a combined 30 min and for the train to Siam and a taxi back you're spending less than $10. Beats sitting in a lounge for hours.
I think if a traveler can handle Nepal they should be able to manage a evening in Bangkok.

Edit: and just checking the OP will be in J and have access to the priority lanes.
Exactly, when you have access to the Priority Lanes, I think going downtown during extended layovers at BKK is quite easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.