Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance lounge access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by catocony
I've entered the ANA lounges plenty of times after leaving the United Club with a paper boarding pass stamped at the United Club. It's pretty common. I've never had a problem.
Interesting. Certainly possible they've stopped doing it. I experienced it once and there were multiple other reports of it happening. In my case the solution was simple - skip the UC and go straight to the ANA lounge, and/or use a mobile boarding pass to get into one or both.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
* Alliance Lounge GRU

In case you haven’t ever visited this lounge or it’s been a while see below for its current state

Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
* Alliance Companion Access for Families?

mrs. iapetus will be traveling with *G status from LAX to LHR on UA (I will not be present for that part of her itinerary). She will want to use the UA lounge at LAX prior to departure. And as a *G pax, she should have access. I see that *G pax are allowed a companion. Does anyone know what the policy is for children traveling with *G pax? Will she get to bring our two children into the lounge with her as companions?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by iapetus
Will she get to bring our two children into the lounge with her as companions?
She will need to pay for 1 child.

*G policy is 1 guest. Because UC is a paid lounge as well, as soon as she is willing to pay, the extra child will be allowed to enter.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
She will need to pay for 1 child.

*G policy is 1 guest. Because UC is a paid lounge as well, as soon as she is willing to pay, the extra child will be allowed to enter.
Thanks for the response. The reason I ask is that, as a UC member, I know that I am allowed two guests ... or my entire (immediate) family. So there seems to be some accommodation for families, at least in that specific instance. I'll ask the next time I pass through a UC and report back.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by iapetus
Thanks for the response. The reason I ask is that, as a UC member, I know that I am allowed two guests ... or my entire (immediate) family. So there seems to be some accommodation for families, at least in that specific instance. I'll ask the next time I pass through a UC and report back.
Actually no - UC has a different access policy for UC members, which allow 2 guests.

When you use UC membership to access UC, it is a UA matter, not related to *A. When you use *G to access UC, *A policy applies.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:19 am

Hello all.

I'll have the UA145 on June 6th from Oporto . I'm Platinum member and I'll fly Economy.

The lounge at Oporto it's not a *G lounge but have contract with several *G airlines.

Am I elegible to have acess to the lounge at OPO? When I contact the lounge they said that only FC custumers have acess.

On the outbond flight, I'll take the UA999 to Brussels and then a Brussels Airlines flight back to OPO. DoI'll have acess to the lounge at Bru?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mittch
Hello all.

I'll have the UA145 on June 6th from Oporto . I'm Platinum member and I'll fly Economy.

The lounge at Oporto it's not a *G lounge but have contract with several *G airlines.

Am I elegible to have acess to the lounge at OPO? When I contact the lounge they said that only FC custumers have acess.

On the outbond flight, I'll take the UA999 to Brussels and then a Brussels Airlines flight back to OPO. DoI'll have acess to the lounge at Bru?
From what I can tell, you should have access to the ANA lounge at OPO and the lounges in BRU on account of your *G status. If your boarding pass doesn't indicate your *G status, be prepared to show your UA Mileage Plus membership card indicating your platinum status.

ETA: OK, after reading the posts that follow, I clearly didn't understand some of the details regarding this itinerary. Sorry! FWIW, I'm still a little unclear as to what the answer should be. I'd be interested in reading a post-trip follow-up.

Last edited by iapetus; May 3, 2019 at 3:24 pm
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless you fly with the *A airlines that contracts with the lounge, no.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Unless you fly with the *A airlines that contracts with the lounge, no.
The flight is codeshare with Brussels Airlines, that has contract with the lounge, and is a *A member.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
The flight is codeshare with Brussels Airlines, that has contract with the lounge, and is a *A member.
From the looks of things you probably won't have lounge access in OPO. UA doesn't contract with the ANA lounge there apparently. It's UA metal so your check-in would be with UA. In this case it doesn't matter who they codeshare with.
Old May 1, 2019, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
From the looks of things you probably won't have lounge access in OPO. UA doesn't contract with the ANA lounge there apparently. It's UA metal so your check-in would be with UA. In this case it doesn't matter who they codeshare with.
But the Polaris customers have access to the lounge.
Old May 1, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
But the Polaris customers have access to the lounge.
Both ANA's website and the Star Alliance website don't say UA is contracting the lounge. Mind you this is not the *A airlines ANA but a lounge that happens to have the same name but no affiliation to the Japanese airline. If Polaris customers get access then UA *Gs would also get I would assume.

But as I mentioned the websites don't seem to show that UA pax have access. I've seen a few trip reports where BA Club World pax haven't got access to that lounge either when BA wasn't using the contract lounge at that point of time.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Both ANA's website and the Star Alliance website don't say UA is contracting the lounge. Mind you this is not the *A airlines ANA but a lounge that happens to have the same name but no affiliation to the Japanese airline. If Polaris customers get access then UA *Gs would also get I would assume.

But as I mentioned the websites don't seem to show that UA pax have access. I've seen a few trip reports where BA Club World pax haven't got access to that lounge either when BA wasn't using the contract lounge at that point of time.
Thank you for your answer. I know that it's a contract lounge, not the ANA airline lounge.

At the bold, the main question. When I call the lounge, they say that only Polaris have access, not the Gold or Platinum if in Economy. Does United have this type of access rules in other lounges around the world?

Last edited by mittch; May 2, 2019 at 9:30 am
Old May 3, 2019, 12:26 pm

Thank you for your answer. I know that it's a contract lounge, not the ANA airline lounge.

At the bold, the main question. When I call the lounge, they say that only Polaris have access, not the Gold or Platinum if in Economy. Does United have this type of access rules in other lounges around the world?
Yes they do have this type of deviations and weird access rules with a handful of contract lounges... I think DUB, ZRH are good examples where they don't (or didn't) have *G access, only Polaris.

And if you heard it from the horses mouth... who am I to argue with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.