Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

no more RCC access for non-UA *Gold on inner NorthAmerican tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

no more RCC access for non-UA *Gold on inner NorthAmerican tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2003, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rudi:
UA changing that rule for inner NorthAmerican flights now, should 'force' all other StarAlliance carriers to also forbid lounge entry for UA-Gold-members, when only holding a boarding pass for an inner country (or even inner continent) boarding pass.
</font>
I disagree. UA has changed the access policy so that now all *G (UA's and others) are treated the same, probably claiming that the RCC's are not lounges but rather clubs where a paid membership is needed. As long as they treat all *G the same as their own *G's they are likely within their rights (i.e., not violating *A policy).

However, the logical "retaliation" from the other * carriers would be to tell UA that they do not run clubs but rather lounges which are meant for F & C pax and elite members, and shut down access for RCC card holders.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 9:20 pm

As long as non-UA *Gs are treated the same as UA *Gs, what is the problem?

At non-UA lounges operated by, say LH, was there a policy whereby non-LH *Gs were permitted access while LH *Gs were denied? If so, then LH is welcome to retaliate.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 5:34 am

Is it worth sending an email complaining about this to the non-UA *A FFPs of which we're Gold members? I doubt anything's going to change, but it can't hurt to let the other *A members know that we're not happy with this?
Old Jun 26, 2003, 6:36 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FTraveler:
As long as non-UA *Gs are treated the same as UA *Gs, what is the problem?
</font>
The problem is that Star Alliance marketing creates expectations, that UA has now decided not to live up to any more. For example, as *G (incl. UA 1K & 1P) you get lounge access when flying * carriers even on the shortest intra-European sectors (if a lounge exists at your departure airport). Flying UA from the US East coast to Hawaii you now don't, even though that's a longer trip than most trans-Atlantic flights from the East coast. How do you explain the rationale of that policy?
Old Jun 26, 2003, 9:09 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Hagbard Viking:
The problem is that Star Alliance marketing creates expectations, that UA has now decided not to live up to any more. For example, as *G (incl. UA 1K & 1P) you get lounge access when flying * carriers even on the shortest intra-European sectors (if a lounge exists at your departure airport). Flying UA from the US East coast to Hawaii you now don't, even though that's a longer trip than most trans-Atlantic flights from the East coast. How do you explain the rationale of that policy?</font>
Wouldn't the number of UA *G members absolutely flood the domestic lounges if we were allowed in carte blanche?

Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:08 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Fredd:
Hey, Mrs. Fredd and I just joined the RCC during a recent semi-MR to the midwest. We're flying out of YVR next week and won't have to worry about the difference between "foreign" and "intra-border" flights as we knock back our beverages in the MLL.

Can't justify the membership since we already have access on International flights as *G, but we have miles coming out of our ears, and we now expect the lounges to keep the riff-raff out, as Basil Fawlty would say. Nothing personal folks...
</font>
To reply to myself... I just read some fine print and phoned UA. To my dismay, our RCC membership will not admit us to a MLL on a non-international flt. unless we are flying AC metal. Even with the RCC membership we're in the same boat as we were with *G.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:13 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Hagbard Viking:
The problem is that Star Alliance marketing creates expectations, that UA has now decided not to live up to any more. For example, as *G (incl. UA 1K & 1P) you get lounge access when flying * carriers even on the shortest intra-European sectors (if a lounge exists at your departure airport). Flying UA from the US East coast to Hawaii you now don't, even though that's a longer trip than most trans-Atlantic flights from the East coast. How do you explain the rationale of that policy?</font>
While I can empathize, a flight from the U.S. East Coast - Hawaii is a domestic flight. Frankfurt - Zurich is still an international flight. Could that be the distinction? Now if UA *G are given access on a, say LH Frankfurt - Munich flight without a same-day international itin then I agree, that's unfair.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">posted by FTraveler:
[B] A flight from the U.S. East Coast - Hawaii is a domestic flight. Frankfurt - Zurich is still an international flight. Could that be the distinction? </font>
Yes, that is the distinction. We know that. The point he was making is that a policy based on international boundaries is absurd given that countries come in different sizes.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Now if UA *G are given access on a, say LH Frankfurt - Munich flight without a same-day international itin then I agree, that's unfair.</font>
Of course they are, which is why it is unfair.

The issue is simple: all Star Gold have access to all Star Gold lounges with a same day Star Alliance ticket in any class. Period. UA is trying to make itself the only exception to that rule, which doesn't say much for it's commitment to the Star Alliance.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:40 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FTraveler:
While I can empathize, a flight from the U.S. East Coast - Hawaii is a domestic flight. Frankfurt - Zurich is still an international flight. Could that be the distinction? Now if UA *G are given access on a, say LH Frankfurt - Munich flight without a same-day international itin then I agree, that's unfair. </font>

There may not always be a lounge in the domestic departure area, but when there is, at least in my experience, *G (incl. UA *G) are let in. For example, using my UA*G card I have got access to SK's lounge at ARN on purely domestic itineraries, BD's lounge at LHR going to MAN, and NZ's lounge at CHC going to AKL.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:43 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajamieson:
The issue is simple: all Star Gold have access to all Star Gold lounges with a same day Star Alliance ticket in any class. Period. UA is trying to make itself the only exception to that rule, which doesn't say much for it's commitment to the Star Alliance.</font>

Exactly! Thanks for emphasizing my point.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 11:57 am

Exactly! Thanks for emphasizing my point.
</font>
Flights between U.S. and Canada are defined as "trans-border" rather than international, which means among other things that I don't have access to the *A lounge (MLL) at YVR even with RCC membership because we're flying to HNL on UA and not AC.

Two weeks ago when flying to FRA on LH out of YVR we were welcomed with open arms in the MLL because it was a *A international flight. That "trans-border" definition is particularly annoying to Canadians, but the objective is saving bucks for the airlines rather than undercutting Canadian sovereignty.

[This message has been edited by Fredd (edited 06-26-2003).]
Old Jun 26, 2003, 4:49 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Fredd:
Flights between U.S. and Canada are defined as "trans-border" rather than international, which means among other things that I don't have access to the *A lounge (MLL) at YVR even with RCC membership because we're flying to HNL on UA and not AC.

Two weeks ago when flying to FRA on LH out of YVR we were welcomed with open arms in the MLL because it was a *A international flight. That "trans-border" definition is particularly annoying to Canadians, but the objective is saving bucks for the airlines rather than undercutting Canadian sovereignty.

[This message has been edited by Fredd (edited 06-26-2003).]
</font>
did AC also change their policy regarding the MLL's?

I was always welcomed in with a *G card, flying YVR/YYC-SFO/LAX on UA

Old Jun 26, 2003, 5:31 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pacha:
did AC also change their policy regarding the MLL's?

I was always welcomed in with a *G card, flying YVR/YYC-SFO/LAX on UA

</font>
http://www.aircanada.com/services/business/if103a.html

Star Alliance Gold:

Any customers who present a valid card with the Star Alliance Gold logo are entitled to access the Maple Leaf Lounge when traveling on an Air Canada, Tango, Zip, Air Canada Jazz, Star Alliance or Air Canada Codeshare flight.

I can give it a try...

Old Jun 26, 2003, 7:25 pm

There may not always be a lounge in the domestic departure area, but when there is, at least in my experience, *G (incl. UA *G) are let in. For example, using my UA*G card I have got access to SK's lounge at ARN on purely domestic itineraries, BD's lounge at LHR going to MAN, and NZ's lounge at CHC going to AKL.
</font>
Please add NH. They'll welcome a UA*G on a domestic NH flight at a domestic lounge.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
Wouldn't the number of UA *G members absolutely flood the domestic lounges if we were allowed in carte blanche?
</font>
Probably - which is why UA has always discriminated against it's own *G. I tried to argue that I'm always travelling internationally when I'm in the US, but they wouldn't buy it

The changed policy basically says "We're only a *A airline when you're flying internationally". Hmmm, is this the first sign of a split into an international serving UA and a purely domestic UA-LCC ;-)

I've queried the *A folk on this and they are "looking into it".

As other's have pointed out in the United FT forum, it doesn't make sense to disallow other FFP *G members from the RCC when the RCC would actually receive payment from the host FFP for doing so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.