Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Copy of new Star Special RTW - from 15 April

Old Apr 1, 2003, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Please note:

1)Approximately 3% fare increase to all RTW fares except YRWSTAR fares

2)Asiana Airlines (OZ), Lot (LO) and Spanair (JK) are added to the fares

3)Flight number changes for OS, TG and UA

4)New transfer rule limiting transfers in any one city to a maximum of 3

5)Maximum number of sectors in an entire journey now 28

6)Cancellation penalty now USD150

7)Changes before departure now permitted on the RWSTAR fare.

8)Booking class change for NH on Special Economy fare

Star Alliance Round the World Fare - Special Economy

00 Rule Application

A. Application
1. These fares apply for Economy Class service. Fares governed by this rule can be used to create Round the World journeys. These fares apply for Round the World travel to/from the countries where fares are specified.

2. Travel must commence from and return to the same country. Scandinavia is considered as one country. Africa, Asia, Europe, North America, South America and South West Pacific are considered six different continents. For the purpose of this rule Middle East is considered Africa.

3. Itinerary may reflect travel greater than Round the World provided it is not via the point of origin and still terminates in the country of origin.

4. No more than 28 sectors permitted in an entire journey including for any subsequent re-routed journey.

5. Intercontinental travel shall be defined as travel from one continent to another.

6. Fares only apply if purchased before departure.

7. The entire journey must not exceed 26,000 miles.

B. Capacity Limitations
AC/BD/JK/LH/LO/MX/NH/NZ/OS/OZ/RG/SK/SQ/TG/UA shall limit the number of passengers carried on any given flight at fares governed by this rule and such fares will not necessarily be available on all flights. The number of seats that each carrier shall make available on any given flight will be determined by the carriers best judgement.

C. Other conditions:
1. Passenger expenses shall not be absorbed by the carriers.
2. Baggage piece concept shall apply for the entire journey.

YLRWSPCL $3,199
YHRWSPCL $3,459

3 Seasonality
The date of departure of the first international sector determines the applicable seasonal fare for the entire journey.
Ex Australia, Norfolk Island, Cook Islands, New Zealand
Peak 01JUN - 19AUG
07DEC - 24DEC
Basic 01JAN - 31MAY
20AUG - 06DEC
25DEC - 31DEC

4 Flight Application
A. Fares apply on any AC/BD/JK/LH/LO/MX/NH/NZ/OS/OZ/RG/ SK/SQ/TG/UA flight. Exception: fares do not apply on:
AC flights: 6000-6199/6900-7099/7200-7649/9000-9019/9830-9849.
JK flights: 9400-9550.
LH flights: 2446-2485/2902-2959/6802-6841/6920-6941/6950-6989.
LO flights: 5133-5134/5235-5236/5307-5310/5321-5322/5324/5327/ 5417-5420/5515-5518/5535-5536/5625-5626/5641-5642/5677-5678/5701-5702/5753-5754/5783-5784.
MX flights: 1000-1499/1502-1689/1692-1999/4000-4999/7000-7999/ 8000-8999.
OS flights: 1000-1999/4000-4999/6000-6999/7000-8999.
OZ flights: 309-310/317-318/327-328/3275-3285/3595/3605/6201-6699/9101-9999.
RG flights: 7200-7203/7292-7293/7380-7384/7386-7388/7390-7391.
SK Flights: 291-294/3100-3149/6000-6199/6200-6349/6400-6499/ 6700-6999/8000-8299/8329-8350/8400-8499/ 9500-9639.
SQ flights: 1000-1016/1053-1999/3000-5999/7000-7999/9000-9999.
TG flights: 3100-3118/3120-3122/3200-3207/3211-3216/3218-3223/ 3240-3245/3250-3253/3301-3302/3321-3322/4500-4503/4541-4544/4700-4703/4786-4791/6900-6901/6904-6905/6907-6910/ 6912-6913/6920/6922/6924-6925/7100-7101/7500-7501.
UA flights: 1700-4640/4690-4717/4900-5199/8300-8795/9256-9259/ 9504-9515/9593-9799.
B. Travel must include only one Trans Atlantic (between area 1 and area 2) crossing and only one Trans Pacific (between area 1 and area 3) crossing.
C. Not more than one crossing may be permitted between Area 2 and Area 3 in an entire journey.

5 Advance Reservation/Ticketing
A. For travel originating world-wide except in Europe reservations and ticket issuance must be made at least 7 days prior to departure for sectors up to and including the first international sector. Other sectors may be booked at any time. Exception: no advance reservation and ticket issuance required for passengers originating in South West Pacific.
B. For travel originating in Europe reservations and ticket issuance must be made at least 7 days prior to departure for sectors up to and including the first intercontinental sector. Other sectors may be booked at any time.

C. RTW booking classes by carrier
Carrier Economy
AC H
BD W
JK H
LH H note 1
LO H
MX H
NH international
NH within Japan H
Y
NZ H
OS H
OZ H
RG H
SK H
SQ H
TG international
TG within Thailand H
M
UA H
Note 1: For LH6500-6785 book W.
D. Fare must be shown on ticket.

6 Minimum Stay
Travel on the last international sector must commence no earlier than 10 days after commencement of the first international sector. Exception: for travel originating in Europe travel on the last intercontinental sector must commence no earlier than 10 days after commencement of the first intercontinental sector.

7 Maximum Stay
Return travel from last international stopover must commence no later than 12 months after departure.

8 Stopovers
A. Minimum 3 stopovers required and maximum 5 stopovers permitted.
B. No more than 28 sectors permitted in an entire journey including for any subsequent re-routed journey.
C. Not more than 3 stopovers permitted within Japan.
D. For travel originating in New Zealand stopovers permitted at New Zealand international gateways only.
E. For travel originating in Canada not more than 3 stopovers permitted within continental USA/Canada and not more than 4 stopovers permitted for continental USA/Canada combined.
F. For travel originating in Europe not more than three permitted in any one country in Europe.
G. Maximum of one stopover permitted in any one city.
H. The following points/airports shall be considered one city.
- NYC/JFK/LGA/EWR - BWI/WAS/IAD/DCA
- FLL/MIA/PBI - LAX/ONT/SNA/BUR
- SFO/OAK/SJC - OSA/KIX/ITM/NGO
- CPH/MMA - FRA/MHG
- ICN/GMP

9 Transfers
A. Not more than one international departure and not more than one international arrival is permitted in the country of origin except that not more than two international departures and not more than two international arrivals are permitted in Canada when Canada is country of origin. For the purpose of this rule Canada/USA and Denmark/Norway/Sweden are considered separate countries. Exception: not applicable for travel originating in Thailand.
B. No more than three transfers permitted in any one city.
C. For travel originating in Europe except Scandinavia only two transfers outbound and two transfers inbound permitted within Europe.
D. For travel originating in Scandinavia only three transfers outbound and three transfers inbound permitted within any one country in Scandinavia.
E. For travel originating in New Zealand only one transfer outbound and one transfer inbound permitted within New Zealand.
F. For travel originating in Canada only three outbound transfers and three transfers inbound permitted in Canada.
G. Surface Sectors: Intermediate surface sectors permitted at passengers expense. Mileage for surface sectors must be included in the Maximum Permitted Mileage calculation. The last point of arrival and the first point of departure together count as one stopover. If a surface sector attracts more than one TPM the lower applies.
10 Combinations
A. End-on-end not permitted.
B. Add-ons not permitted.
C. Double Open Jaws/Round Trips/Circle Trips not permitted

12 Surcharges
AC Insurance surcharge: A surcharge of CAD3.00 or USD2.00 for each AC sector will be added to the applicable fare per adult/child for the travel. Note charges apply for insurance surcharge. Surcharges apply to infants. The surcharge must be reflected as a Q-surcharge after the applicable sector.

15. Sales Restrictions
A. Permitted any ticket stock of AC/BD/JK/LH/LO/MX/NH/NZ/ OS/OZ/RG/SK/SQ/TG/UA participating in the itinerary only
B. Fare basis codes shall apply as follows: YRWSPCL
Exception: Australia/Norfolk Island/Cook Islands/New Zealand. YLRWSPCL / YHRWSPCL
C. When travel originates in one country and the ticket is sold in another country the fare will be that applicable from the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the Bankers Selling Rate. The resultant fare must not be lower than the lowest applicable Star Alliance RTW fare from the country of sale. Where no Special Economy RTW fare (YRWSPCL) exists apply the lowest applicable Star Alliance RTW fare (RWSTAR1/2/3). Exception: not applicable for sales made and/or travel originating in Canada.

16 Penalties
A. Changes
1. Before departure:
For travel originating worldwide except in SWP/Europe
a) Before ticketing deadline: permitted.
b) After ticketing deadline:
i. No changes permitted on outbound sectors up to and including first international sector.
ii. For all other sectors rebooking/revalidation permitted at no charge.
c) Rerouting/reissue permitted at a charge of USD100 (child/infant USD100) per reissue.
For travel originating South West Pacific.
iii. No changes permitted on outbound sectors up to and including first international sector.
iv. For all other sectors rebooking/revalidation permitted at no charge.
c) Rerouting/reissue permitted at a charge of USD75 (child/infant USD75) per reissue.
For travel originating in Europe
i. No changes permitted on outbound sectors up to and including first intercontinental sector.
ii. For all other sectors rebooking/revalidation permitted at no charge.
c) Rerouting/reissue permitted at a charge of USD100 (child/infant USD100) per reissue.

2. After departure
For travel originating worldwide except in Europe
a) No changes permitted on remaining outbound sectors up to and including first international sector.
b) For all other sectors rebooking/revalidation permitted at no charge.
Exception: in the event of death of the passenger as evidenced by a certificate, members of the passengers immediate family or accompanying passengers may reroute the remainder of the journey without charge

For travel originating in Europe
a) No changes permitted on remaining outbound sectors up to and including first intercontinental sector.
b) For all other sectors rebooking/revalidation permitted at no charge.
c) Rerouting/reissue permitted at a charge of USD100 (child/ infant USD100) per reissue.
Exception: in the event of death of the passenger as evidenced by a certificate, members of the passengers immediate family or accompanying passengers may reroute the remainder of the journey without charge.
B. Rerouting Guidelines:
TPMs must be recalculated for the new routing from the point of origin.
1. If new routing results in miles greater than 26,000 miles ticket may be upgraded to a higher Star Alliance RTW fare upon payment of the difference in fare recalculated from the point of origin plus a rerouting/reissue charge of USD100 (child/infant USD100) per reissue.
2. If new routing results in less than 26,000 miles the original fare still applies plus a rerouting/reissue charge of USD100 (child/infant USD100) per reissue. No refund will apply.
Exception: in the event of death of the passenger as evidenced by a certificate, members of the passengers immediate family or accompanying passengers may reroute the remainder of the journey without charge.
3. If new routing is no longer round the world travel collect the difference if any between the fare paid and the applicable fare for the new journey calculated from the point of origin plus a rerouting/reissue charge of USD100 (child/infant USD100) per reissue. No refund applies if the recalculated fare for the new journey is lower than the RWSPCL fare paid.
4. For upgrading see credit towards further transaction.

C. Cancellations
1. Before departure
For travel originating worldwide
a) Before ticketing deadline: full refund.
b) After ticketing deadline: charge USD150 for cancel/no-show/refund. waived for death of passenger, family member or accompanying passengers. The non-refundable amount may be used as a credit towards payment of an equivalent or higher applicable fare. the original non-refundable amount remains non-refundable.

2. After departure
Applicable to all countries
Refund if any will be the difference between the fare paid and the applicable fare for the journey travelled.

D. Credit towards further transaction
Tickets may be upgraded to a higher RWSTAR fare upon payment of the difference in fare, recalculated from the point of origin plus a rerouting/reissue charge of USD100 (child/infant USD100).

17 HIP Mileage Exceptions
Higher intermediate point rule does not apply.

18 Ticket Endorsement
A. The original and the reissued ticket must be annotated VLD STAR ALLIANCE ONLY / NONREF in the endorsement box.
B. Endorsement is not required between AC/BD/JK/LH/LO/MX/ NH/NZ/OS/OZ/RG/SK/SQ/TG/UA.
C. Tickets must show by the use of an insert or sticker that travel is at a special fare and subject to special conditions.

19 Children Discounts
A. Accompanied child 2-11 years and infant(s) under 2 years occupying a seat: charge 75 percent of the adult fare.
B. First infant under 2 years without a seat: charge 10 percent of the adult fare.
C. If infant turns 2 years during the journey applicable child fare must be applied. Exception: not applicable for sales made in and/or travel originating in Thailand.
D. Unaccompanied child 2-11 years not accepted.

20 Tour Conductor Discounts
Tour conductors discounts not permitted.

21 Agent Discounts
Agent discounts not permitted.
Old Apr 2, 2003, 5:02 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
airnzboy, thanks.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 1:52 am

"8 Stopovers
A. Minimum 3 stopovers required and maximum 5 stopovers permitted.
B. No more than 28 sectors permitted in an entire journey including for any subsequent re-routed journey."

Can someone help explain what it means to say min 3 stopovers and maximum 5 stopovers. Then the rules say max 28 sectors. I am confused.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 2:18 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Asian_Traveller:
Can someone help explain what it means to say min 3 stopovers and maximum 5 stopovers. Then the rules say max 28 sectors. I am confused. </font>
A sector is a flight on your ticket. A stopover is generally a stop in a city for more than 24 hours.

"No more than three transfers permitted in any one city" is a pain. I guess I wasn't the only one to throw a few gratuitous ORD-MKE-ORD sectors into my last RTW.
Old Apr 29, 2003, 7:04 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
I have a couple more questions about the Star Lite fare:

1) I see you can transfer through a city no more than 3 times - how many times can you actual stopover there? I have an idea you can only stopover in any given city once, but I can't see that written anywhere in the rules - have I imagined this? Or is it just that you can't stopover in the city of origin?

2) Can the first sector be domestic, i.e. can I start my RTW in Melbourne and stopover in Sydney for a few months before carrying on with the international sectors? If so, am I right in interpreting the rules that the season would be determined by the timing of the first international sector?
Old Apr 29, 2003, 8:36 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mad_atta:
I have a couple more questions about the Star Lite fare:

1) I see you can transfer through a city no more than 3 times - how many times can you actual stopover there? I have an idea you can only stopover in any given city once, but I can't see that written anywhere in the rules - have I imagined this? Or is it just that you can't stopover in the city of origin?
</font>
Check rule 8 G.
Old Apr 29, 2003, 8:38 pm
Patron

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mad_atta:
How many times can you actual stopover there? I have an idea you can only stopover in any given city once, but I can't see that written anywhere in the rules - have I imagined this?</font>
Maximum of one stopover permitted in any one city. (You find this rule in point 8G)
Can the first sector be domestic, i.e. can I start my RTW in Melbourne and stopover in Sydney for a few months before carrying on with the international sectors? </font>
Yes. MEL-SYD-international sector is an excellent example, as there are numerous international *A operated flights out of SYD. There is no need to go (back) to MEL which is forbidden to fly international.
If so, am I right in interpreting the rules that the season would be determined by the timing of the first international sector? </font>
Yes, at this is the wording of the rule: The date of departure of the first international sector determines the applicable seasonal fare for the entire journey (You find this rule in point under point 3 Seasonality).

Old Apr 30, 2003, 4:12 am

Can the first sector be domestic, i.e. can I start my RTW in Melbourne and stopover in Sydney for a few months before carrying on with the international sectors?</font>
G'day atta.
Yeah - you can do that, but it's not as good as it used to be for two reasons. Until this rules version, travel originating here in SWP region was exempt from the no changes to outbound international segment rule. Now we're the same as the rest - if your "stay" in SYD is a "few months" as per your question, you'd need to be pretty spot on with your sector out of SYD as you cannot change that in any way.
The other problem may be with United - they're the only ones that connect MEL to SYD and their traffic rights on the route are limited to "connecting International and online stopover traffic". We all know UA sometimes run their own interpretation of rules against IATA accepted interpretations, so they may not like/permit such a lengthy stop in SYD. Revoking the international connecting traffic clause, (you're not connecting) all that's left is the online stopover - if they do allow the stop, your next segment would more than likely have to be on them.
I keep finding more reasons to hate NZ for letting AN go to God.

Cheers.

Old Apr 30, 2003, 10:36 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
TG fly SYD-MEL but not MEL-SYD - I doubt they can be of much help either as I don't think they have local traffic rights (like UA). I am pretty sure UA wouldn't permit a stop per Al B's comments.

Last year I did fly MEL-SYD(UA)-KUL(OS) but that was an online connection. Even still UA at check-in at MEL gave me a hard time as it wasn't a UA-UA connection. Eventually they let it pass as the computer printed out the bagtag and I think they just didn't want to cause trouble over it.

Back in the glory days of the Star farex ex-Australia you actually could fly to an Australian gateway city and stop there. I think the rule was "one stopover allowed in Australian gateway city" - now of course MEL is a gateway city, but if you were creative with your routing (guess who puts their hand up!) you could get in another domestic oz stopover for nothing. One example I did in 2000 was MEL-PER (stop) on AN and connected to TG flying to BKK via HKT.

Of course now that AN is resting in peace this isn't really an option these days, but that was a great rule while it lasted.

Ah, memories...

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 4:42 pm

Programs: LH SEN , UA 1K, SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver, GHA Black
Does anyone know what are the current prices for RTW leaving from the US or Germany?

Thanks

Old Apr 30, 2003, 7:50 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Al B and RichardMEL, thanks for the detailed responses. I originally had the idea because it's often very difficult getting QF's red e-deals for flights MEL-SYD on a Sunday after a weekend down in Melbourne, so I thought I could start my RTW a little early. I gave up on the idea, partly because when I try to be a bit too clever it usually ends up biting me on the arse, and partly because I'd have to use UA (assuming they agreed to it) and I wouldn't want my RTW issued on UA stock. I'd hoped that TG flew MEL-SYD as well as SYD-MEL but sadly, no. Besides, I don't think I have the spare mileage on my ticket to allow it.

Anyway, it was an interesting thought while it lasted, and planning this RTW has been a great learning experience!
Old Apr 30, 2003, 8:47 pm
Patron

when I try to be a bit too clever it usually ends up biting me on the arse </font>
Very wise!

Old May 1, 2003, 3:13 am

I gave up on the idea, partly because when I try to be a bit too clever it usually ends up biting me on the arse, and partly because I'd have to use UA (assuming they agreed to it) and I wouldn't want my RTW issued on UA stock.</font>
Tickets can be issued on any participating carriers stock, 'atta, as per rule 15 A 1 b. There is no rule stating the ticket stock must be of the first carrier. If you walked into say TG's ticket office in MEL and said, righto, here's the dosh, I want a RTW and here's the itinerary, with first sectors not on them, of course they'd do it. Ansett were always issuing RTW's with first segments on UA SQ TG NZ etc, as many agents got a better deal from AN being local.
Same deal with an agent - many agents may have UA as a preferred, but an equal number will be preferred with SQ or TG. Just tell 'em you want it ticketed on any stock but 016.
Cheers.

Old May 1, 2003, 7:17 am

Al B, that's very interesting and useful information. I thought first segment of RTW = carrier whose stock ticket is issued on.

I must take this up with my TA - any recommendations about any particular ticket stock I should request or avoid?
Old May 1, 2003, 8:23 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
At least down here the issuing carrier doesn't have to be the first international sector operator (or whatever). As Al B says often AN would issue RTW tickets for other carriers. Indeed I recall one or two I got ticketd via AN that had ZERO AN sectors on them!

Recent RTW tickets have been on 618 (SQ) ticket stock (first int. flight on OS) and UA 016 stock (SQ operating first flight out).

I understand not wanting to have a RTW ticketed on 016 stock in case UA fails. Perhaps one should also avoid AC stock too, given that they are in ch. 11. also.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.