Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Where should I direct my miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2003, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Here's my status:

UA: 1K
LH: FTL

I have an upcoming trip to MUC. The most convenient (and cheapest) route for my travel dates is:

SFO-LHR on UA metal (LH codeshare), LHR-MUC on LH, MUC-SFO on LH

Any thoughts on which FF account I should direct my miles to? Are there any particular advantages (preferred seating, better chances of upgrades etc) in having them go to either one of the FF programs? Assuming I have a valid upgradeable fare, can I use my SWUs if the miles are being credited to LH?

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2003, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
You didn't specify whether you are hoping to upgrade from Y to C or from C to F. If you have a Y ticket and are a 1K, then credit the miles to M+ as you'll get 200% of actual miles. If you have a C ticket, you'll get 225% of actual miles credited to M+ or 250% credited to M&M plus LHR-MUC would be 2500 miles rather than 1300 to M+ because of M&M's 1000 mile minimum.

If you have a C ticket, the difference in mileage accrual may be small enough that the slightly better service you might get as a 1K could possible tip the scales toward M+. If you have a Y ticket, M+ for sure.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 2:46 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
SWU usage is independend of where your miles are credited.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies ... I'm trying to upgrade from Y to C!
Old Apr 30, 2003, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by peter42:
SWU usage is independend of where your miles are credited.</font>

If he is on a LH codeshare/UA metal, does he not have to do standby, and probably have the SWU collected, so unavailable for the LHR-MUC segment?

If flying LH & LH codeshare are standby SWU's good for any paid fare or only HMBY?
Old Apr 30, 2003, 10:37 pm
Patron

malgudi, as you are *G (MP: 1K), I would credit your flights on your paid coach class ticket to the following FFP (neglecting the “requalification topic”):

MP: SFO-LHR & MUC-SFO (100% MP status + 100% MP bonus miles instead of 125% M&M status miles)
M&M: LHR-MUC (1.250 M&M status miles instead of 578 MP status miles.

[This message has been edited by Patron (edited 04-30-2003).]

Old May 1, 2003, 3:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Perhaps the rules have changed recently, but last year it was not possible to upgrade using either miles or SWUs on codeshare flights.
Old May 1, 2003, 9:08 am

Whatever you do, make sure that your 1K number is in the system until you get to the gate, as you will be further up all the lists (inc op/ug) with the higher status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.