Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Where is BEST place to buy FIRST class RTW STAR 39 K miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2003, 7:57 am
Original Poster

As of today, where is the cheapest place to buy a first class ticket for a STAR 39,000 mile RTW?
Old Apr 26, 2003, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Out of South Africa the price (today) would be $8,650 USD exclusive of taxes and fees, which would add ~ $275 USD.
Old Apr 26, 2003, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
The FRWSTAR3 fare from Egypt is 37220 EGP, which today is US$6338.
Old Apr 26, 2003, 9:39 am
Patron

As zvezda pointed out already, right now, its cheapest, if travel originates and ending in Egypt.

However, besides issuing your RWSTAR in Egypt, you are still paying the lower rate, if you buy your ticket in Canada as this rule does not apply:

When travel originates in one country and the ticket is sold in another country the fare will be that applicable from the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bankers selling rate. The resultant fare must not be lower than the lowest applicable Star Alliance RTW fare from the country of sale. Exception: Not applicable for sales made and/or travel originating in Canada.

Old Apr 26, 2003, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
May I also add that with Canadian agents, one may still issue tickets without the need to be present with your creditcard. The same cannot be said for issuing tickets in Egypt.

The only downside with tickets issued in Canada is the service fee the travel agency might impose if your originating travel is on LUFTHANSA or AUSTRIAN as they no longer give commission to agencies. So try and go in the opposite direction on SINGAPORE AIRLINES.

SQ will not price a ticket if the originating longhaul flight is not on them. (Trust me, I've tried!)

[This message has been edited by Guy Betsy (edited 04-26-2003).]
Old Apr 26, 2003, 11:53 am
Patron

First of all: To buy RWSTARs in Canada is one reasonable option, especially if someone has troubles in dealing with local agents, there is no doubt about that.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Guy Betsy:
The only downside with tickets issued in Canada is the service fee the travel agency might impose … </font>
… and - if you have change your currency into CAD - the transaction fee (eg EGP into CAD// USD into CAD).
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Guy Betsy:
SQ will not price a ticket if the originating longhaul flight is not on them. (Trust me, I've tried!)</font>
Trust me - as mentioned on another thread - I bought a RWSTAR starting with JNB-FRA on LH and it was out of SQ stock!

[This message has been edited by Patron (edited 04-26-2003).]

Old Apr 27, 2003, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I've been told by my T/A in Toronto that SQ will not even price the RTW that was booked even though the majority of travel is on SQ but origination is on LH. It could be that SQ knows that LH & OS pays no commission whereas they do.

Whatever else they do outside of North America is on their own provacative, as both LH and SQ still pays T/A's in South Africa full commissions, and that is why Patron could issue his ticket on SQ stock.

[This message has been edited by Guy Betsy (edited 04-27-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.