Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Questions regarding lounges in VIE and GVA - when flying Austrian Airlines?

Old Apr 6, 03, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, Fairmont President Club Platinum

Next week, I will be going to Geneva via Vienna, from Toronto, on Austrian Airways.

In Vienna, how good is the lounge (I am Star Alliance Gold, and I will be flying business class) that is run by Austrian Airways? Are there any other Star Alliance lounges there, and how do they compare to the Austrian run lounge? Would I be able to get a shower, in any lounge in Vienna? Is there a formal arrivals lounge in Vienna, for a passenger arriving in Vienna, after flying over the Atlantic Ocean, at night?

In Geneva, when I depart to go back to Canada, via Vienna (on Austrian Airlines) - how good are the lounges, and which
airline(s) run them?

In VIE and GVA, how close are the lounges, to the gates, that Austrian Airways flies?

PS-Will I have to go through passport controls in Vienna, Geneva, or both cities?
Old Apr 6, 03, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I went through VIE about a year ago flying Austrian from NYC-VIE-DEL.

I had about 2 hours in transit and as a star gold was able to access both Austrian airlines lounges (one downstairs, one upstairs - can't remember the differentiation but both allowed star gold).

The upstairs lounge had showers - nothing flash - but very welcome for me. Both lounges had lite cheese/meat selections and friendly staff (no real meals). The only complaint I would have (and this may have changed) is that the upstairs lounge where I had my shower allowed people to smoke throughout the lounge.

The lounges are in the VIE long haul international terminal which is a small circle with about 8 gates off it. It can get crowded when they are boarding one or two longhauls so the lounge access was welcome. Staff were friendly and recognised my Star gold status no problems.

As far as I could tell there were no other star alliance lounges.
Old Apr 6, 03, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Check out

http://english.viennaairport.com/lounges.html

I must have come into Pier Ost and was allowed into both the Star Gold lounge and the Austrian business lounge.
Old Apr 6, 03, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, Fairmont President Club Platinum
Thank you, aussieinsf, for the link.

There seem to be 2 Senator lounges, and 2 business class lounges - run by Austrian Airways. Would I be able to access any other lounges?

Going in transit either way, which lounge should I go to - coming from Canada, enroute to GVA - where I will need a shower. Coming back from GVA to Canada, I will not need a shower.

I do not like the Senator LH lounge in Frankfurt - it is too crowded, and smoking is allowed (too much smoke floating around - I am a non-smoker). Hopefully, the VIE lounges do not have those features, as well.
Old Apr 6, 03, 3:43 pm

The only *G lounge in GVA is LH's, although it appears NG also operate a lounge there as well, and as you are flying J on the OS group, you should have access to that as well.
In VIE, I'm only showing OS and LH as having *G lounges, so they would be your only choices.

Cheers.
Old Apr 6, 03, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Which of the pair of lounges in VIE and also in GVA are better, in terms of my needs (see earlier post)?
Old Apr 7, 03, 12:29 am
Patron

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerGoldII:
In VIE how close are the lounges, to the gates, that OS flies? </font>
As you are arrive and depart in the Non Schengen Terminal A, I would use SEN lounge in Pier East.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerGoldII:
Will I have to go through passport controls in Vienna, Geneva, or both cities?</font>
If you stay in the Non-Schengen Terminal, you do not have to clear immigrations & customs control in VIE. Of course at your final destination at GVA.

[This message has been edited by Patron (edited 04-06-2003).]

Old Apr 7, 03, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
Head for either of the enator lounges - the lounge in Concourse A/Pier East is smaller but usually much quieter - absolute heaven compared to Frankfurt! The snacks are good though not meal sized (very good chocolates and patisserie as one would expect in VIE!).

To visit the Pier East lounges, you need not clear passport control. If you deplane through an air bridge, just look out for the lounge on your right next to the OS transfer counters. If you depane by bus, follow the signs for "Connections A", which will take you up some stair to the right of passport control, straight onto the departure concourse.

Old Apr 7, 03, 8:35 am

I opened a new thread for this question: How are business-class *A lounges at MUC?

[This message has been edited by Patron (edited 04-07-2003).]
Old Apr 8, 03, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Patron:

It looks like the Senator lounges in the non-Schengen part of the airport, do not have showers, but the business class lounges do - I thought that the Senator Lounges, at least with LH, were considered to be the better lounges, than the business class lounges?

FlyerGoldII

PS-What are the options of lounges, for my itinerary, in GVA?
Old Apr 8, 03, 9:12 pm
Patron

It looks like the Senator lounges in the non-Schengen part of the airport, do not have showers, but the business class lounges do - I thought that the Senator Lounges, at least with LH, were considered to be the better lounges, than the business class lounges? </font>
On average, they feed you in SEN lounges (= First Class lounges) but not in FTL/C-Class lounges. Sometimes, FTL lounges are not that overcrowded as SEM lounges.
To the two lounges in the Non-Schengen terminal at VIE. If I am correct, your connection time is 65 minutes. If you like to take a shower, take the elevator to the C-Class lounge on second floor.
What are the options of lounges, for my itinerary, in GVA?</font>
As I am not travelling regular to GVA and my memories are not very fresh, please double check my answer. AFAIR there are two options for you:
1. SEN lounge (showers available) operated by LH on the 2nd floor (=1. Stock).
2. C-Class lounge (no showers available) operated by Swissport on the Mezzanine level.

Old Apr 12, 03, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Thank you, Patron.

Besides being less crowded, how are the Austrian Airlines lounges in Vienna compare with the LH lounges in either Frankfurt, and Munich?

PS-Why do the OS lounges have the same names, as the LH lounges?
Old Apr 12, 03, 5:49 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Why do the OS lounges have the same names, as the LH lounges?

Because OS (Austrian, Lauda, Tyrolian) became miles&more (ff-program) partners (when they left the Qualiflyer-program/SR-partnership).

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 04-12-2003).]
Old Apr 14, 03, 2:31 am
Patron

How are the Austrian Airlines lounges in Vienna compare with the LH lounges in either Frankfurt, and Munich?</font>
I do not see much differences, as you named the most import fact (= less crowded) already; but there is an advantages for you compering with MUC (I assume you
are not SEN): You can use the SEN lounge at VIE!

Old Apr 23, 03, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

In Vienna, I found that the business traveller lounge was superior to the Senator lounge - more spacious, plus access to showers and private rooms with beds. Otherwise, all other amenities were identical - including food, reading material, availability of 1 PC computer etc.

In Geneva, LH runs a Senator lounge, for Star Alliance Gold members, and LH first class travellers. It was compact, but otherwise not too different from its counterpart in Frankfurt (except, I was the only passenger in the lounge last week, at 7 AM).

For other non Star Alliance Gold members flying business class on LH or OS, I guess one can go into a different lounge, for passengers flying these, and a variety of other, airlines. I guess this second lounge is a contract lounge?

Search this Thread