Little Stars in Star Alliance?

Old Apr 15, 03, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Little Stars in Star Alliance?

I've noticed that some eastern european carriers are closely working with some big Star Alliance members like SAS, Lufthansa, and Austrian Airlines Group.

These airlines are: Adria, Croatia Airlines, Air Dolomiti.

And since Star Alliance is set for another round of expansion, particularly aiming at small/regional sized carriers, would those carriers that I mentioned have any possibilities to join as "Little Star"?
Old Apr 15, 03, 3:12 pm
Uli

Air Dolomiti is an Italian airline, not really "Eastern European". LH is buying this company so it will be integrated in star.
Old Apr 15, 03, 4:42 pm

I "think" the next European Star airline will be KF and/or BU. SK owns 100% of both of those two airlines. KF flies to and from Finland while BU has domestic Norway and from Norway to Europe.
Old Apr 15, 03, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, Italy is not really "eastern Europe", Air Dolomiti and Air One suddenly pops up in my memory when I'm writing the post.
Old Apr 20, 03, 5:25 am

I canot imagine that one of these carriers (Air Dolomiti, Adria or Croatia) will join join *A. They are just regional carriers and to small to become a member (Air Dolomiti offers great service but only flies ATR´s).

IMO the next airlines to join *A are Air China and/or South African Airlines.
Old Apr 20, 03, 6:06 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
the very next one (after Asiana, LOT and Spanair) is USAirways (Star-members will vote on that one this may 2003).
Old Apr 24, 03, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Premier Exec, NW Gold, SPG Plat
There is no reason why regional/smaller carriers can't join Star - Look at Tyrolean - it's a small regional carrier...
Old Apr 24, 03, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN, LC Aur, Hyatt Dmd, Mar/SPG "Lifetime" Plat, HH Dmd, IC Amb, Sixt Dmd
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Phire:
There is no reason why regional/smaller carriers can't join Star - Look at Tyrolean - it's a small regional carrier...</font>

But it's part of Austrian Airlines which is not really big, but also not THAT small .
Old Apr 25, 03, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

I think those "regional carriers" may have the chance as Star Alliance is very open to the idea of "associates", like Skyteam.
Old Apr 26, 03, 3:10 am
AHO

All *A carrier's subsidiary airlines do not have to be *A carrier.

You can see Silk Air under SQ, EL under NH etc.

Old Apr 26, 03, 5:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
It seems that regional subsidiaries who do not carry the parent's code (e.g. MI and SQ) are not part of Star, but regionals who do carry the code of the major without even being owned (e.g. UA Express) are part of Star. It might be that the ownership is not taken into account but rather only whether or not the regional shares the code of the Star partner. Any exceptions?
Old Apr 26, 03, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zvezda:
It seems that regional subsidiaries who do not carry the parent's code (e.g. MI and SQ) are not part of Star, but regionals who do carry the code of the major without even being owned (e.g. UA Express) are part of Star. It might be that the ownership is not taken into account but rather only whether or not the regional shares the code of the Star partner. Any exceptions?</font>
The "regional" US when carrying a UA designation may not be part of star.

Can anyone clarify: Can I put UA miles on a US metal codeshare into LH M&M?
Old Apr 26, 03, 12:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Can I put UA miles on a US metal codeshare into LH M&M?

UA code-shares (flying USAir metal) will very probably not earn miles in any other (other than MileagePlus) Star-ff-program until USAir officially joins Star (Star will vote on this subject end of may 2003).

Search this Thread