Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

RTW ticket as potential option to fly around cheaply and with flexibility in Europe?

RTW ticket as potential option to fly around cheaply and with flexibility in Europe?

Old Mar 21, 03, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN, LC Aur, Hyatt Dmd, Mar/SPG "Lifetime" Plat, HH Dmd, IC Amb, Sixt Dmd

Since Europe is so "small", 15 stopovers and 28 sectors seem to possibly go a long way...if you start in CAI and get an economy ticket (YRWSTAR2) for approx. 1,700 Euro, you could, e.g., fly cai-sin-icn-sfo-fra-(european travel)-cai and you would have about 12,500 miles to use for extensive european travel with flexible tickets ($ 75 for every "routing change"). As far as I could see from the rules kempis posted, if you start in CAI, there are no limitations on the number of stopovers/transfers in Europe other than the obvious 15 stopovers/28 sectors rule.

Aren't date changes free (as opposed to routing changes)? So if you kind of "have the order in which you want to check out the European cities" in mind, you can change the dates later as you need them, without even having to pay extra?

To me, this means for 1,700 Euro, as a European, you could visit one location in Asia, one in North America and, if you wanted to, within one year, you could visit all the cities/countries in Europe you always wanted to go to, but haven't yet...

If your first concern is getting a good travel bargain (as opposed to earning maximum miles), an economy ticket should easily be sufficient with this kind of itinerary, since Y and C are basically equivalent on intra-European flights...

What do you think about this? Sounds like the cheapest and most flexible "Europe Airpass for Europeans" to me... (obviously, one would have to spend some miles or add the cost of the ticket to get to CAI in the first place)

If you think the idea is not too outlandish, it would be cool if you could post some ideas for intra-European itineraries which would offer a good value as part of the trip (e.g., less traveled routes to interesting cities which would be expensive if purchased stand-alone...).
Old Mar 22, 03, 5:41 am

it's not that easy... I assume you live in europe, as only one stopover is allowed in any one city you can't visit other cities in a 'hub-and-spoke' fashion... meaning you have to travel either before or after the international legs or purchase side tickets...
Old Mar 23, 03, 4:24 am

Programs: UA MM, CX Diamond, LH Senator, BA Gold, Hyatt Courtesy
You have the right idea but Attorney28 but Garfield5 is right about the stopover rule. This plan works ideally if you are going from one city to the next on your itinerary rather than returning back to your "base" after each trip.
So for me living in Paris, say I want to see Rome one weekend, return home, then go to London, return home, then go to Madrid, I would have return from FCO back to Paris (stopover) then fly to LHR and I would have to fly back to Lyon (stopover) and train back to paris and continue from Lyon for the next trip to Madrid. Following Madrid, I would probably have to fly back to Brussels (stopover) since its a pretty close train to Paris and then leave from BRU again. Get it? Its a pain in the ... but it does save cash if you can plan it right. You can transfer planes in a hub like FRA or MUC as often as you need to get to where you are going but you just have to be careful as where you stopover (>24hrs). You also have to leave yourself enough miles to get yourself back to your departing country (in your case Egypt) at the end and the moment you fly back into departing country, game over, thanks for playing, no more travel, even if you have more miles to spend on your rtw ticket. If it looks like you are running short on miles to do everything you want while you are in mid trip, you can always upgrade and reissue to the next higher Star rtw mileage category (29k to 34K). I'm not sure if you can do that on Oneworld though.
Another trick that is very good but requires even more advance planning is to get two rtw each going in a different direction around the world so you can mix and match segments to do RTs to particular countries rather than having to always continue around the world.
Old Mar 23, 03, 4:52 am

This might work out well for people like me who live in the Rhineland/Ruhrgebiet area in the most western part of Germany, as we have four airports served by LH within around 100km radius (DUS, CGN, DTM, FMO). If additional stopover points are needed, then FRA, HAJ, PAD, AMS and BRU come to mind, depending on which part of the region you live at.
Old Mar 23, 03, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN, LC Aur, Hyatt Dmd, Mar/SPG "Lifetime" Plat, HH Dmd, IC Amb, Sixt Dmd
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HajoFlyer:
This might work out well for people like me who live in the Rhineland/Ruhrgebiet area in the most western part of Germany, as we have four airports served by LH within around 100km radius (DUS, CGN, DTM, FMO). If additional stopover points are needed, then FRA, HAJ, PAD, AMS and BRU come to mind, depending on which part of the region you live at.</font>
Yes, I guess this is why I had the idea because I am also originally from that area and we have many airports here which could be used (going there with a rental car and getting 3,000 miles each time, too ). I think I am actually going to try this. The idea with having two different RTW tickets is even better. I will try to see if I can figure out some interesting itineraries, I like this planning part .
Old Mar 26, 03, 3:33 am

very interesting idea, but isnt there a rule that stopovers are only once allowed whithin any-1 country? I studies the competition brochure (oneworld) on it, but did not see a STAR-one. Is the quoted 1700 EUR the same all-over the world? This because I mainly fly BKk-EUR.
Old Mar 31, 03, 6:40 am

Programs: UA MM, CX Diamond, LH Senator, BA Gold, Hyatt Courtesy
One stopover per city is allowed. It wouldn't be worth much to fly a rtw via the US and only be able to stop in one city.
If you are in BKK, originate it there since its much cheaper than if you start in Europe or the US. Talk to good old Chawla in BKK near patpong (I believe on Silom)
Old Mar 31, 03, 10:15 am
Patron

As the *A forum is a much better place to discuss the intention of this thread, I am closing it here and move it there.

Patron
LH TalkBoard Moderator

Search this Thread