Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Booking a Mixed Airline Star Alliance Itinerary Through Priceline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles, MileagePlus

Context:
I just purchased a singe round trip ticket through Priceline and wanted to get some input before the 24 hour cancellation deadline runs up. I will be traveling this summer with the following itinerary- Outbound: LWO-VIE-FRA-DEN-GTF Return: GTF-DEN-IAD-MUC-LWO.

On the outbound, LWO->VIE->FRA is via Austrian Airlines, and FRA->DEN->GTF has United flight numbers (FRA ->DEN is operated by Lufthansa). On the return trip, GTF->DEN->IAD->MUC is through United, and MUC->LWO is through Lufthansa.

Most of my layovers are 2h+, but I have a 40 min. layover in VIE on the way out.

I found this itinerary through ITA and bookwithmatrix.com. I had tried to purchase a similar flight earlier through booking with United via Google Flights (I got through most of the booking process and was given an error message when I clicked the purchase button).

Questions:

1) Does anyone have any experience in connecting through VIE? Is 40 min. enough time?
2) What happens if I miss my connection in VIE, which would lead to missing my transatlantic flight in FRA? Would Austrian Airlines be able to rebook me all the way through to GTF, even though I used a third-party source to purchase my tickets?
3) Should I cancel the itinerary and attempt to book direct through one of the three airlines (United, Lufthansa, Austrian)?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes.
Yes.
Probably won't be able to and it won't change your rights nor the airlines' obligations on your date of travel.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I wouldn't have any concern with your itinerary. The only PITA is that your FRA-DEN flight has UA flight numbers, meaning you can't pre-select seats. You have to wait for check-in.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles, MileagePlus
Great, thanks guys!
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I agree, except for the lack of seat reservation, this itinerary should work seamlessly. 40 min at VIE is plenty of time and is unlikely to cause any issues. OS will rebook you to final destination if you misconnect at VIE regardless where/with whom you booked the ticket, but this situation is not likely to occur.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.