Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

If I've already claimed a flight for one frequent flier program, can I change it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If I've already claimed a flight for one frequent flier program, can I change it?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

(Edited)

Last edited by FlappyKiwi; Nov 12, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sarah Chrisp
So I right now am an Air New Zealand frequent flier loyalist. I want to change to United. I have taken several flights this year worth quite a few miles (15,000). But I've already claimed them for Air New Zealand. Can I switch these flights to United?

Also - if I can't switch flights already taken, can I at least switch upcoming flights that I haven't accredited to any airline yet?
Another disillusioned Air NZ frequent flyer? (The Air NZ ffp is not good)

If the flights were some time ago really no hope.
If the flight was yesterday and you had a UA ff number in the reservation yet it posted to Air NZ some hope, but not easy or guaranteed.

For most ffp's you need to be a signed up member at the date of the flight.

For flights not taken you can change to another ffp. At times changing the ffp does not stick. The new ffp will print on the boarding pass, yet can post to the first ffp. Keep all documents and screen prints.

Many low cost flights on Air NZ earn little on other ffp's.
But UA is better than it used to be.
www.wheretocredit.com/nz (a guide only: check UA/Air NZ web sites)

Look here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

(Edited)

Last edited by FlappyKiwi; Nov 12, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Thank you! Yes, I'm a little disillusioned unfortunately. The FFP is pretty bad. You get very little in the way of upgrades.

I will hit Gold shortly with Air NZ. My current plan is to use the rest of 2017 to hit Gold with United so I can have Star Alliance Gold for the whole of 2018. I'll then credit everything with United in 2018 and fly my way up to 1K, so I can then get instant upgrades! Seems a lot better than the stingy 1-class twice-a-year bonus that Air NZ gives you! It'll make the long-hauls to the USA a lot nicer
Instant upgrades?

Sorry, you're misinformed. Upgrades don't happen all the often on UA even at 1K, unless you're counting premium economy seating, especially on long haul TPAC.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you! Yes, I'm a little disillusioned unfortunately. The FFP is pretty bad. You get very little in the way of upgrades.
You are being too polite

You will not get free upgrades on long haul flights, as the responses to your other questions in other forums. You will be sitting in the seat you paid for.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Domestic flights will sometimes be upgraded, longhaul flights won't.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 2:33 am
Original Poster

(Edited)

Last edited by FlappyKiwi; Nov 12, 2017 at 2:01 pm
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
UA gives a limited number of upgrade certs to 1Ks. However, to actually get the upgrade, upgrade inventory must be available, not just an empty seat in business class.

IIRC their new basic economy fares aren't upgradeable, but hopefully an expert on UA can confirm this.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Oh OK. That is good to know. Sorry - the website for 1K mileplus program was confusing then when it said instant upgrades for all economy seats. I didn't realize it only meant domestic flights.
It means any flight with R class inventory, which like trying to use an Air NZ RU (which is actually the same), is none on international long haul.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Many low cost flights on Air NZ earn little on other ffp's.
Many of NZ's own flights earn nothing to it's own program. The only time I've ever seen reasonable prices out of YVR/LAX/SFO they're 0% earning. I'm sure if you're a frequent business traveller NZ's program is fine, but for the rest of us I just can't see any use for it unfortunately.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
the website for 1K mileplus program was confusing then when it said instant upgrades for all economy seats.
When United uses the term "instant upgrade", it usually refers to getting an upgrade when purchasing a Y, B, or M fare.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
No you can't reverse points already credited to NZ.

When you are already accruing with NZ and soon hits *A Gold status with NZ by all means stay with NZ; UA will do you no good, certainly not in terms of upgrades. Changing FFP because hoping to get more upgrades on long hauls flight will be a wild goose chase - not going to happen.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I agree, but NZ is one of the worst *A programmes to be in, unless you only fly NZ. UA redemption is much better.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Oh OK. That is good to know. Sorry - the website for 1K mileplus program was confusing then when it said instant upgrades for all economy seats. I didn't realize it only meant domestic flights.
If you are UA MP Gold or higher you can select Economy Plus (E+) seats at time of booking. This is a systemwide benefit for all flights. The leg room is 3-5" more than standard UA Y seats.

If you achieve UA 1K you will get 6 Global Premier Upgrades (GPU) and 4 Regional Premier Upgrades (RPU) which require availability in a specific booking class to apply. You will also have high priority for Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPU) which will upgrade you on a space available basis on mostly US domestic flights.

SL

Last edited by SunLover; Apr 2, 2017 at 6:36 am Reason: Spellin'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.