FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   Change to Star first RTW mid way - advice? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/183056-change-star-first-rtw-mid-way-advice.html)

julianhayward Sep 8, 2001 9:08 pm

Change to Star first RTW mid way - advice?

I don't understand the Star zones/continents.

We are mid way through a Star first RTW and our last flight was into Tokyo. We need to continue east over the pacific back our start point of New York.

Now - we are travelling off the RTW ticket (a surface sector if you like). We are due to restart the RTW in Bombay but instead we would like to start in Cairo. Is this the same 'continent'if not hve I passed this continent already by entering Asia?

So far we have done: New York, London, surface, Rome, St Petersberg, surface, Moscow, Hong Kong, surface, Beijing, Tokyo.

So 'continent' wise we are in Tokyo right now.

Bearing in mind I am due to restart in Bombay it looks like I can leave Asia OK and effectively travel west a little?

I have loads of miles left - so these aren't the issue here.

Julian (confused)

Hagbard Viking Sep 8, 2001 11:48 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by julianhayward:
I have loads of miles left - so these aren't the issue here.
</font>
I think that just about the only requirement with the *A RTW is that you cross each of the Atlantic and the Pacific once and only once. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

However, something to keep in mind is that all "surface sectors" count toward your mileage. So, if you backtrack Tokyo-Cairo on a separate ticket (or by foot or whatever) it will still count as almost 6,000 miles "flown" on your *A RTW.

Hoboken1K Sep 9, 2001 3:04 pm

There is a new rule recently in addition the restriction of one trans-atlantic and one trans-pacific that might come into play here -- only one trans-siberian sector. So, if they consider your new India/Cairo eastbound flight trans-siberian, it may be dis-allowed.

Also, the advice about surface sectors counting in your mileage total is correct -- try not to waste to many miles!

------------------
- Bob

Gaza Sep 10, 2001 8:09 am

I'm sure there is also a rule about keeping going in the same general direction although backtracking within a continent is allowed. You will have to confirm with your TA that Egypt is considered the same as India. If not you may have to get yourself from Cairo to BOM.

bernie Sep 10, 2001 3:37 pm

Looking at your routing (already done) and what you want to do for the rest of your trip , considering the surfaces you've done or are willing to do and considering the possible routings for *A airlines (you have done like FCO - LED or MOW - HKG), I seriously doubt that you'll have a "load of miles" to play with.
I'm not quite sure, but I don't think that CAI will be considered "Asia".

julianhayward Sep 13, 2001 12:04 pm

I've had confirmation from United that this change is OK.

In fact I did just run out of miles before I got back to my Origin (JFK) as in fact I want to end in Miami but to make the ticket valid I have to then have a segment back to New York. However for $75 United waived this requirement. This is a new policy that I haven't seen on here before.

Hagbard Viking Sep 13, 2001 11:51 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by julianhayward:
In fact I did just run out of miles before I got back to my Origin (JFK) as in fact I want to end in Miami but to make the ticket valid I have to then have a segment back to New York. However for $75 United waived this requirement. This is a new policy that I haven't seen on here before.</font>
I thought the rule was that you have to end in the country of origin but not necessarily in the same city? Has this changed recently or am I just mistaken?

Anagnorisis Sep 23, 2001 12:40 pm

Hello! For being such seasoned travelers it seems that we know sh*t about geography. Cairo is in Africa. Mumbay (previously named Bombay) and Tokyo are in Asia.

------------------
The trouble with resisting temptation is..... that you may not get another chance.

Hagbard Viking Sep 24, 2001 5:22 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Anagnorisis:
Hello! For being such seasoned travelers it seems that we know sh*t about geography. Cairo is in Africa. Mumbay (previously named Bombay) and Tokyo are in Asia.
</font>
Point is, it doesn't matter where you think/know a place is. What matters is how the airlines define the world. For example, for the purpose of a oneworld explorer RTW ticket, Cairo is considered Europe...