Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Financial Position of * Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2001, 5:18 am
Original Poster

With the collapse of AN, I started thinking about the financial position of other * members.

NZ - They are in all sorts of strife, but seeing as they are THE national carrier of NZ, I guess they won't go under...

UA - Common knowlegde that they are losing an absolute (note - must stop saying that word) fortune.

TG - Aren't they in a bit of strife as well?

What about the other airlines? Anymore potential collapses within *??

MD
Old Sep 15, 2001, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
RG is not too financially sound right now.
Old Sep 15, 2001, 8:55 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
LH is still in the black, but earnings drop sharply due to the economy and the pilots strike.
Old Sep 15, 2001, 8:59 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
I think in general, the entire airline industry is not faring well.. not just * alliance
Old Sep 15, 2001, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond
UA's in real trouble, as mentioned elsewhere on this thread and on the UA board. This week's tragedy couldn't have come at a worse time.

I imagine that AC will also take a big hit due to the past week's events, especially since they depend on lucrative cross-border routes for much of their business.
Old Sep 19, 2001, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are right about AC being financially hurt by the downturn in the airline industry. Like the US airlines asking for financial help from their governement, AC has asked the Canadian goverment for financial help. Check out the AC thread for more details and reactions.
Old Sep 19, 2001, 12:55 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
LH has just published an Ad Hoc news with a profit warning and the measures taken, see the LH board.
Old Sep 22, 2001, 11:30 pm

NH - Cancelled 57 flights Sept. 11-15, resulting in a lost of 700-800 million yen in revenue. President Ohashi was quoted as saying revenue could be cut by 10 billion yen or more in fiscal 2001, through 31 March 2002. Aviation insurance premiums, estimated roughly 1 billion yen (20 cents per passenger) per year are likely to rise substantially. Insurers told NH (and other airlines) to expect premiums to rise 5-6-fold, due to war risk premiums. (Nihon Keizai Shimbun)
Old Sep 23, 2001, 5:56 am

Air NZ is a basket case, basically bankrupt now, and will likely be sold to Qantas soon, leaving NO Star carriers based in the Australasian region, and United may pull services too to the area.

http://afr.com/premium/ansettcrisis/...XIJGIVURC.html
Old Sep 23, 2001, 6:10 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
well - we (StarAlliance) will still have a choice of serveral carriers flying from/to Australia and Asia:

Lauda (only from Europe via Malasia)
Singapor
Thai
(not sure about ANA for Australia?)
Old Sep 24, 2001, 1:29 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rudi:
(not sure about ANA for Australia?)</font>
All Nippon used to serve Australia via an Ansett code-share arrangement. Given their own situation, I tend to doubt they'll be putting their own planes on the route now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.