Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

*A RTW possible itinerary--comments welcome

Old Feb 3, 01, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

I think we have finally come up with our RTW itinerary. Since this is our first, and since this group has so much experience, I thought I would post it and see what suggestions/reminders/cautions you might have. Here 'tis:

Nov 7 LHR to MAD on BMA 483
Nov 12 MAD to VIE on AUA 386
Nov 18 VIE to DEL on AUA 33
overland to KTM
Dec 2 KTM to BKK on Thai 320
Dec 6 BKK to SYD on Thai 993
Dec 13 SYD to CHC on UAL 4392 (ANZ oper.)
Dec 20 CHC to AKL on UAL 4324 (ANZ oper.)
Dec 23 AKL to RAR on ANZ 42
Dec 29 RAR to LAX on ANZ 4396
Dec 31 LAX to IAD
???--probably late March '02 IAD to LHR to complete the loop

Flying economy I know I'm only going to get 50% miles from Thai air. Any other not-so-obvious facts about this itinerary? I will get the taxes quote when I book, but if anyone has a rough idea beforehand that would be helpful too. Thanks in advance for the comments.

Old Feb 3, 01, 3:21 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
You'll get 100% mileage on TG (which is good!) only 250 miles for your BD flight though. Also the RAR-LAX is likely a UA codeshare.

about the codes, as it is Star, and I would - to be careful - book the real carrier's flights (ie: NZxxx SYD-CHC, NZxxx RAR-LAX as some inter Star carrier codeshare rules can be a bit weird with mileage accural (ie: UA once said to me, when I asked back when TG only gave 50%, that if I flew a TG metal a/c on BKK-CPH, with a SK codeshare flight number that I wouldn't earn 100% (SK) mileage and I wouldn't earn 50% (TG) mileage for the flight but 0 as it "wasn't an approved codeshare flight for mileage plus accural"(!).... so be careful!

Otherwise it looks good - have a fab time!

------------------
UA 1K MEL
Old Feb 3, 01, 10:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
looks good to me. RichardMEL is correct about the 100% credit on TG (since nov-1-2000).

The overland from DEL to KTM will be charged as flight miles to your overall mileage allowance.

Enjoy your trip!

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 02-03-2001).]
Old Feb 4, 01, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was looking for a sanity check on my upcoming, planned RTW. I am concerned about the overlapping legs (FRA-HEL, HEL-FRA), and the "generally one direction issue". Will this one fly?...
BOS-FRA-HEL (Boston to Helsinki)
HEL-FRA-SIN (Helsinki to Singapore, some back-tracking involved here)
SIN-HKG (Singapore to Hong Kong)
HKG-SYD (Hong Kong to Sydney, possibly via SQ so back through SIN)
SYD-SFO-BOS (Sydney to Boston)

for just 28,000 +/- miles.
Old Feb 4, 01, 2:21 am
Original Member

the backtracking on/in the same continent is ok, as long as it is not the final continent (and there are some restrictions also on the starting/departing continent).

Otherwise you have only to pay attention to the stopover-rules.
Old Feb 4, 01, 2:28 am
Original Member

two of my (Star-rtw) back-tracking examples in 1999:

Vancouver - Seattle - San Francisco - SNA (Santa Ana, Orange County) - Los Angeles - Chicago - San Juan (Puerto Rico) (stopover) - Chicago - Los Angeles - SNA - Los Angeles - JFK ( stopover )

and in 2000: San Francisco - Chicago - San Juan (PR, stopover ) - Chicago - San Francisco ( stopover ) - JFK (stopover )

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 02-04-2001).]
Old Feb 6, 01, 12:01 pm
Original Member

Ditto Rudi--they are pretty liberal with the stopovers/backtracking if you're connecting at the appropriate hub.

Jl
Old Feb 7, 01, 1:26 am
In Memoriam

No backtracking problem within one continent (I flew like "criss crossing" the US).
No problem with backtracking in Asia or New Zealand, Southpac, Oz either as long as you stay with your general direction. So NO backtrack between Asia --> Europe or Europe --> US
Old Feb 7, 01, 1:39 am

It would violate the other rule of the STAR RTW's anyway, namely only ONE Atlantic and ONE Pacific crossing only - any backtracking of that kind would cross the ocean again. It is moot anyway as you'd prob. run out of mileage under the MPM to do it, unless you used a STAR3 or something.

------------------
UA 1K MEL
Wannabe UA MELKA !
Old Feb 9, 01, 6:02 am

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
When I booked my *A RTW last year I was told the rules ex-UK prevent the use of any codeshare flights. The only exception was LH codes on BD as they were slow to get the booking class in place when they first joined *A.

WRT backtrack. Our original plan had us flying LHR-SIN (stopover), SIN-DPS (stopover), DPS-SIN-SYD. This was allowed under the rules but we would not have been allowed a second stopover in SIN. Eventually we went SIN-DPS-MEL-BNE-CNS-ASP (ground) AYQ-SYD. This meant a lot of ziz-zag and (in theory) a bit of back tracking but it appeared to be within the rules.

Full details of our trip are at:-
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/001425.html

Old Feb 9, 01, 9:01 am
Original Member

in late 1999 and early 2000 code-share flights were not allowed. But now code-share flight numbers can be booked, as long as both (flight number and actual carrier) are StarAlliance members.
Old Feb 9, 01, 4:20 pm

Does anybody know if this is a valid *RTW itinerary?

MAN-LHR-IAD-MIA(stopover)-ORD-LAX-HKG(stopover)-MAN(stopover)-FRA-SVO-FRA(stopover)-CPT(stopver)-JNB-FRA-MAN(end)
Old Feb 10, 01, 1:00 am
Original Member

no, sorry, it is not valid. No backtracking anymore when you return to the continent you start from.
Old Feb 10, 01, 3:09 am
In Memoriam

Rudi is right. Your RTW will be considered complete once you return to your starting point.
If you want to include SA you could go
HKG - FRA - CPT - MAN
or HKG - SIN - CPT - FRA - MAN with SQ being the only *A carrier connecting Asia with SA, I beieve (myabe there is a TG flt BKK - CPT or JNB also)
Old Feb 10, 01, 9:16 am

Actually this is partly right. There's a small rule in the STARx RTW rules that says something like "itin may reflect _greater than round world travel_ as long as staring point is not reached/transited" - so for example, if you had enough miles you could go back to MAN, or even BHX, then back to FRA and onto JNB under the rules. I think you'd get hit by the MPM though....

------------------
UA 1K MEL
Wannabe UA MELKA !

Search this Thread