RTW taxes

Old Jan 6, 2001, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

RTW taxes

I know the RTW prices don't include airport taxes, but do they include sales tax in the US prices, or VAT in the UK or French prices?
Old Jan 6, 2001, 4:23 pm
Community Director Emerita

I just returned last night on a Star Alliance RTW trip. I'm looking at my ticket as I write. The fare includes taxes and some airport fees (particularly the US ones). It did not include our departure taxes from Vietnam or Bali; those were collected at the airport on departure.

However, perhaps you are wondering if the fare you have been quoted includes taxes. I don't believe it does, but ask the agent who has given you the fare.
Old Jan 6, 2001, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

The UA agent told me that there would be airport taxes, based on which airports I picked, but no "sales tax" i.e. a flat % added to the base cost of the ticket. However, even she was a little unsure, so I was just curious. Also, didn't know if the European prices shown on www.informationlab.com/rtw.htm might have additional taxes.
Old Jan 7, 2001, 5:05 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
There are no sales taxes on Airline ticketsin the UK, Germany or Netherlands I know. Perhaps it's an EU thing.

However, the UK Government will charge ten or twenty pounds if you start here.
Old Jan 7, 2001, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Not a "true" rtw, (but sure feels like it after about 45 hours of flying and airports!) but yesterday we flew right thru from Rio in Brazil to GRU to JFK to LAX to SYD via MEL due to snow delaying direct SYD connection. Both tickets issued direct by UA here a few days apart, 100% identical routing and class, and fare basis.

OZ and USA taxes fees were identical but one had the Brazil departure tax (about $US30) included, and one did not. I HATE paying these taxes at airports scratching enough leftover REALES mixed with $$$'s to make it up. Not sure what others think, but much rather see it all up front and pay it with a credit card in advance, and be done with it.

Taxes are getting NUTS. Flying into Santiago Chile late December there was a cash only $US30 fee for OZ passport holders, $US45 for USA passports and $US55 for Canadian. That is outrageous.

To get INTO Brazil it cost $A200 for the two visas, (and much surliness and rudeness by Embassy staff here - happened to me last year as well) and $US30 each to LEAVE the place. That is big bucks for a few days vacation stay for NYE.

On the plus side, the new, air cond Limo bus with aircraft recline seats and loo cost only $2 US a person (!!!!) for the 75 minute ride from Galileo airport, via Domestic, via city, to Copacobana. Like a free city tour! And picks up and drops you where you wish on Copacobana Atlantica.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Jan 8, 2001, 9:43 am

the brazil fees are always paid at the airport. i hate this also, but now you know. it would be nice if they told you this when you bought your ticket, so you could be ready. i was caught by surprise, and ended up exchanging all sorts of leftover money i had from every country to get the fee together.
Old Jan 8, 2001, 12:05 pm

Originally posted by Dang22202:
The UA agent told me that there would be airport taxes, based on which airports I picked, but no "sales tax" i.e. a flat % added to the base cost of the ticket. However, even she was a little unsure, so I was just curious. Also, didn't know if the European prices shown on www.informationlab.com/rtw.htm might have additional taxes.
Atleast the Scandinavian prices doesnt includes taxes. The taxes depends on which cities you visit(like avoid London and all Norway .
Old Jan 8, 2001, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
The brazil fees are always paid at the airport. I hate this also, but now you know. It would be nice if they told you this when you bought your ticket, so you could be ready.
Lonman - actually that is not the case as I posted above. I booked and paid my partner's ticket a few days after mine. Both direct with UA Sydney - same routing and fare basis. When we got to GIG to leave, my tax had been added to ticket, and paid on my card here, and partner's had NOT, so needed to do your trick and scratch and scrape the moolah.

Least I got 30 flyer points on mine via Amex, so that was a tiny consolation!

------------------
~ Glen ~

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 01-08-2001).]
Old Jan 9, 2001, 2:02 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally posted by Markie:
There are no sales taxes on Airline ticketsin the UK, Germany or Netherlands I know. Perhaps it's an EU thing.

However, the UK Government will charge ten or twenty pounds if you start here.
There is VAT on air tickets in Germany
Old Jan 11, 2001, 4:46 am

Peter42,

only domestic tickets are subject to VAT in Germany. International tickets (EU or not)are VAT free.

akayama
Old Jan 11, 2001, 9:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
I don't know of any country that applies value added taxes to international airline tickets. Canada certainly does not apply GST to them.
Old Jan 11, 2001, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

75 minutes from GIG to Copacabana. A taxi taking the Red Line Road through Larenjeiras, taking a left at Lagoa would get you to your hotel in under 25 minutes.

I'd rather stump up the cash and spend a third of the time on the road.
Old Jan 12, 2001, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
airport tax collection depend on the airport administration. e.g. in the past you pay for apt tax when check in HKG and TPE....now they asked the airlines to collect them (i.e. charge you when ticket is issued)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.