FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   SQ RTW Alliances (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/182766-sq-rtw-alliances.html)

Always Flyin Sep 30, 2000 3:51 pm

SQ RTW Alliances

Now that SQ is part of the Star Alliance, they can be used as part of a Star RTW fare. However, the Star fare is just a wee bit pricey.

SQ used to partner with different airlines for RTW purposes. In particular, BA. Even with the Star Alliance, UA still does, e.g., with Cathay.

Does anyone know if SQ still has any similar affiliations in place, with whom, and what agencies might have some bargains on such fares? (The UA/CX RTW fare in F out of BKK is only US$3,300 vs. $7,100 for a Star Ticket...)

ElmhurstNick Oct 1, 2000 9:15 am

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question, but I have one for you...

Is that UA/CX F fare for any RTW routing, or NA/Europe/Asia only?

At $3300 F, that's rather amazing.

Always Flyin Oct 1, 2000 3:26 pm

Yes. It's only good for the Northern Hemisphere. And it is a heck of a deal.

bernie Oct 1, 2000 3:45 pm

I remember those offers once seeing on SIA US website.

Kaoru Kanetaka Oct 1, 2000 9:22 pm

At the current exchange rate, the UA/CX RTW F out of BKK should cost less than $3200!

And if you get to fly a lot of CX F segments
with such a fare, you will be Cloud Nine.

With respect to SQ, I know that Continental
has a joint RTW with SQ. Prices must vary from origin, and i do not yet know to date, which departure city offers the best SQ/CO
RTW fare.

Always Flyin Oct 1, 2000 9:34 pm

It recently went up a bit. It's presently at 140,000 Baht.

TMTRD Oct 1, 2000 11:23 pm

Try tickets starting in KUL. There are (hope they still exist) deals for some 2500 - 3000$ for First Class RTW on many two airline combinations

TRESY Oct 4, 2000 3:17 pm

Any figures for Biz and Econ?

Can I get a RTW fare that has UK-South Africa-UK-Japan-UK cheaper than buying individual segments

bernie Oct 4, 2000 5:23 pm

If the above is meant to be a possible routing it won't work afaik. You can't stop in the country of origin within you routing - not more than 24 hrs. that is.

And returning from Japan with *A will probably require a routing via transpacific. You can't just "return" in Japan. This stuff is called round the world - you are expected to do so.

[This message has been edited by bernie (edited 10-04-2000).]

MMM Oct 4, 2000 6:08 pm

However,...

you probably can get it done with an OW 3-continent fare... (using Cathay Pacific in the leg SOuth Africa->Japan via HKG).

MMM

------------------

jamiel Oct 5, 2000 2:10 pm

I think they still partner with TWA.

Always Flyin Oct 6, 2000 2:04 pm

Yeah, they still partner with TWA, but for what I hope are obvious reasons, I don't really want to endure the rather drastic shift from a first class SQ flight to a TW flight...

jamiel Oct 6, 2000 4:35 pm

you're going to have to use a US based airline anyway--TW isn't significantly worse or better than anyone else these days, IMHO. Assuming you want to maximize your SQ miles in F, only SQ (TPE/NRT/HKG/SEL to/from LAX/SFO/YVR, AMS/FRA to/from NYC) MH (NRT to/from NRT, Dubai to/from EWR and NZ (Auckland to/from HNL/LAX, LAX to/from LHR/FRA) (keep me honest, here) have both transatlantic and transpacific crossings touching the USA.

jl

Always Flyin Oct 6, 2000 9:54 pm

My first choice actually was the apparently no longer existent SQ/BA RTW ticket. LAX-NRT-SIN-LHR-LAX.

But that option is out now. Could actually do it on SQ almost all the way around. Would just have to use TW from JFK/EWR to LAX.

Kaoru Kanetaka Oct 11, 2000 5:25 am

I was just informed by my agent in BKK that many of the RTW prices are going up this fall due to the rise in fuel prices. Wonder
what UA/CX fares are going to be??? Does anyone have any information ?