Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance launches StarNet IT Network

Old Oct 2, 00, 7:51 am
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine

This just in to the TG website. I hope this helps eliminate the slow posting & other problems that sometimes happen between *A partners.

Star Alliance launches StarNet to further improve customer service IT network links member airlines’ computer systems

BANGKOK, September 28, 2000 – The member airlines of Star Alliance, the airline network for earth, has launched StarNet – a sophisticated IT solution that links the computer systems of all 15 airlines. StarNet will permit member airlines to share a wide range of information and thereby serve passengers even more effectively.

Using StarNet, employees at one Star Alliance member airline will have on-line, real-time access to systems operated by other partner airlines, allowing them to handle more complex business transactions and provide seamless service to their customers. For example, a ground agent with any Star Alliance airline will have up-to-the-minute information on the status of another member’s flights – being able to advise of delays or
gate changes instantly, without having to send the passenger to the other airline’s counter. StarNet will, in effect, “translate” the information in one airline’s computers and display it on the terminal of another.

The network will handle information from a broad range of systems, including flight status, reservations and frequent flyer plans.

------------------
Gaucho100K
Old Oct 2, 00, 7:55 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
... there, may be, goes my advantage of using 'loopholes' ...
Old Oct 2, 00, 8:41 am
In Memoriam

If this takes as long as other technical implemantations on *A, you'll have a lot of time enjoying your loophole(s), as long it may exist anyway ...
Old Oct 2, 00, 11:32 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
you can just imagine what little interest ground agents will have in surfing other *A carriers data!

come to think of it...at the ZRH single point *A check-in they have had a lot of info available for some time. i remember they had right there on screen that i was allowed 2 extra peices of luggage cause i was on AC (being an AC/SE).

Dorian

------------------
Dorian's Star Alliance RTW Price Chart: http://www.informationlab.com/rtw.htm
Blondebomber's Star Alliance Comparison Chart: http://members.home.net/deercroft/starall00.html
Old Oct 2, 00, 11:50 pm
Original Member

well Dorian, I 'coached' the Staff at ZRH's so-called one-point StarAlliance check-in counters (run by Swissport-staff = a SR daughter company under LH's 'orders') many times ...
Old Oct 3, 00, 3:09 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Rudi,

I assume you mean you helped them find info? If this is the case I would guess your 'loophole'(s) will be around for some time!

Dorian

------------------
Dorian's Star Alliance RTW Price Chart: http://www.informationlab.com/rtw.htm
Blondebomber's Star Alliance Comparison Chart: http://members.home.net/deercroft/starall00.html
Old Oct 3, 00, 3:36 am
Original Member

Old Oct 3, 00, 9:42 am

Old Oct 6, 00, 6:57 am
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine

I think that at the end of the day, online or manual systems, a big smile & lots of charm do wonders at the gate...

------------------
Gaucho100K
Old Oct 6, 00, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold
Rudi, if the beverage business does not work out, you can still make a living traveling the world and coaching ground staff... I would only check in with agents that wear "Trained by Rudi" badges

Search this Thread