Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Fare Rules - P (Deep Discount Business) and Z

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat

I know this is a nerdy question because the fares are what they are. However I am booking a business class trip from EWR to KRK, with a return from BUD 10 days later. If I fly *A RT EWR-BUD, the fare is ~$2700 and both segments book into P. If I fly EWR-MUC and BUD-MUC the fare is about the same and again both segments in the open jaw book into P. However if I fly EWR-KRK and return BUD-EWR then the first segment books into P, at a fare several hundred higher than either BUD or MUC but the BUD-EWR segment now books into Z and the total fare is ~$4200. It's much cheaper to fly to MUC and buy a separate ticket to KRK.

I have read the fare rules and meet all of the seasonal and advance purchase requirements. Can anyone explain this? (Also the OW fare for the itinerary I want is ~$2700, so I may just break down and fly my non-preferred alliance.)
Old Feb 17, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I'm imagining we're discussing LH but it could also be a combo of UA & LH operated flights but you need to clarify that in order for a solid answer to be given.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

It is UA/LH but it is the same for AC with a connection in YUL, and LX. Could be LH, LX or LO for the segment to KRK.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Note that different airlines use different letters for their fare classes. For example, on DL, Z is deep discount business class while P is slightly discounted FC that can even be fully refundable.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Note that different airlines use different letters for their fare classes. For example, on DL, Z is deep discount business class while P is slightly discounted FC that can even be fully refundable.
I am aware of this but P and Z seem to be consistent across UA LH and LX at least.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TheCount2
I am aware of this but P and Z seem to be consistent across UA LH and LX at least.
Fine, but your thread title seems to be asking about universal Z and P fares as there's no mention whatsoever of the airline(s) or alliance, although *A is mentioned once in the OP. Since this was posted in Information Desk, many people will assume it's a general question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.