Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Thai Smile falsely advertising they're *A?

Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since

Traveled to Cambodia last week, Thai Smile for the leg from BKK-REP & return. Noted leaving REP a large sign behind check-in counters saying they were Star Alliance. This was odd, as I'd been told by Thai (TG), their parent operator, that it was a separate company, no *A benefits.

Looking at Thai Smile's website, I find no mention of Star Alliance at all. No mention on United's website or the Star Alliance website of Thai Smile either. Unfortunately, I didn't take a photo of the sign.

Has anything recently changed? Seemed a strange thing to advertise in the lobby. When I saw the signage I did have them input my MP number, not that it makes any difference. Thanks-
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I wonder if it was an older sign? They used to be a domestic/regional arm of TG. It's been a few years now since I tried to use them, but during that time I was extended *A benefits. I recall a while back some talk of them being spun off and no one was sure what would happen with *A benefits once that happened. The few domestic routes I have flown in Thailand recently are now operated by widebody TG domestic aircraft, so unsure what Thai Smile is actually doing these days firsthand.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Definitely not *A. Don't expect the points to post or any benefits when flying.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by sbm12
Definitely not *A. Don't expect the points to post or any benefits when flying.
They didn't, and there weren't. When buying the ticket (on Thai Smile's website), it didn't even give an option to put in an MP number. For kicks, on my return flight, I did have them add it to my reservation. They had no problem doing so (although who knows, maybe they just typed a few random keystrokes into a note field).

Really do wish I'd taken a photo. Just for fun.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Thai Smile is no longer part of *A after they received their own operating certificate and started using WE code in 2014, similar to LH's Eurowings. Very frustrating as that took quite a lot of destinations off *A network.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.