Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Turkish vs Swiss business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turkish vs Swiss business class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Wow. My SEA-YYZ-AMS using KrisFlyer was quoted for $795SGD in fuel surcharges. Yikes!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would not fly TK to AMS; that's way too much backtracking. Between LX and AC, I'd choose based on schedule and how you feel about a Canada transit (I personally avoid them).
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I would not fly TK to AMS; that's way too much backtracking. Between LX and AC, I'd choose based on schedule and how you feel about a Canada transit (I personally avoid them).
i don’t care about the backtracking... this is Flyertalk afterall.

Im more interested in which is the most comfortable and has the best amenities both hard and soft.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Wow. My SEA-YYZ-AMS using KrisFlyer was quoted for $795SGD in fuel surcharges. Yikes!
Geez, that's awful. I thought most programs other than Aeroplan did not levy surcharges on AC awards. I know with OZ club I paid $40 usd for a similar award.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by zeer0
Geez, that's awful. I thought most programs other than Aeroplan did not levy surcharges on AC awards. I know with OZ club I paid $40 usd for a similar award.
For whatever reason Krisflyer charged more for Air Canada, I’m not sure if it’s AC, or Krisflyer since I’m having to go to three countries, and connect via Toronto? TK just via ORD was only 200SGD

As far as amenities go... TK or LX?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: AV Diamond, TK ELP, IB Oro, AD Diamante, NZ Gold, QF Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Just be aware that TK still have 2-3-2 arrangements in business class, meaning there is a real risk of being stuck in the middle and having a (premium?) economy-esque experience. Even if you book it online before you depart. Even if you are an Elite Plus member. Cough.
Also TK food is not really that great. The lounge is crowded. Crews can be very surely, ground / customer service staffs are almost always horrendous. IST airport is a huge stress factor when in transit.

LX has an amazing lounge at ZRH (miles better than TK IST in terms of quality and comfort) comfortable and fairly private seats without middle seats, good amenities, usually very good catering.
The only down side is euro business class on the narrow bodies.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by kiwitakingflight
Just be aware that TK still have 2-3-2 arrangements in business class, meaning there is a real risk of being stuck in the middle and having a (premium?) economy-esque experience. Even if you book it online before you depart. Even if you are an Elite Plus member. Cough.
Also TK food is not really that great. The lounge is crowded. Crews can be very surely, ground / customer service staffs are almost always horrendous. IST airport is a huge stress factor when in transit.

LX has an amazing lounge at ZRH (miles better than TK IST in terms of quality and comfort) comfortable and fairly private seats without middle seats, good amenities, usually very good catering.
The only down side is euro business class on the narrow bodies.
Thanks for your opinion. I found a SFO-ZRH-AMS flight and thought I would try it out on LX as I took TK 4 years ago. I thought the new TK 777 was 2x2x2? FWIW, I did like my experience with TK.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold

For whatever reason Krisflyer charged more for Air Canada, I’m not sure if it’s AC, or Krisflyer since I’m having to go to three countries, and connect via Toronto? TK just via ORD was only 200SGD

As far as amenities go... TK or LX?
It might be that.

I would say either is a good choice. The LX hard product is better, especially if flying alone. The soft products are good on both. TK food is Do&Co so excellent, but I enjoyed LX food in J. I have to say the TK lounge blows almost any other *A lounge out of the water. It's fantastic in every possible way, and a reason to have a longer connection to take it in.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:15 am

It might be that.

I would say either is a good choice. The LX hard product is better, especially if flying alone. The soft products are good on both. TK food is Do&Co so excellent, but I enjoyed LX food in J. I have to say the TK lounge blows almost any other *A lounge out of the water. It's fantastic in every possible way, and a reason to have a longer connection to take it in.
So I ended up booking LX out of SFO-ZRH-AMS in J so at least I get to use the Polaris lounge there. I have been to the TK lounge in Istanbul, but was curious what they did with the moving of the airport? Is the lounge the same?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:28 am

It might be that.

I used to agree, but it has become unbearably crowded over the last couple of years.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
I have been to the TK lounge in Istanbul, but was curious what they did with the moving of the airport? Is the lounge the same?
They haven't switched airports yet. It's currently scheduled for the end of the year.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 4:55 pm

Wanting to go to Athens next year, flying out of ORD. I've got a few options, TK J is readily available. But I do see LX J available a few times.

Is LX J still the preferred choice in most people's eyes?
Old Jul 14, 2021, 4:35 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
For the food, I prefer TK, for other things LX but I find both very good.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Wanting to go to Athens next year, flying out of ORD. I've got a few options, TK J is readily available. But I do see LX J available a few times.

Flying via IST gets you a longer overnight flight to actually sleep.

I find with ZRH flighs that we're already nearing Europe before I can manage to fall asleep, so I only get a couple of hours. I also don't like the seats with their lack of foot space for taller pax.

But YMMV as always...
Old Jul 14, 2021, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Preferred by whom and for what reasons? IMO it really depends on personal situation and preferences. LX sometimes flies their 330 from ORD, which is still the old product and not a very good seat. The LX 77W is better, though not everyone likes the seat (I personally do). TK seems to fly the 77W from ORD, which is not direct aisle access but otherwise very comfortable. The food will likely be better on TK. Both carriers have excellent lounges at their hubs. To me, flight timing is also important, I find afternoon departures to Europe very difficult, and much prefer a nighttime departure.
Sandeep1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.