Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

How to understand my luggage allowance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:16 am
Original Poster

and more importantly explain it to the gate agent on the first flight.

award ticket, somewhat complicated, issue by united, no united flights

from phnom penh Cambodia to Victoria Canada with a stopover in zurich

phn (THAI) - BKK (THAI) -ZRH (STOPOVER)
ZRH-FRA-YYC-YYJ (DESTINATION) (Swiss,Lufthansa, air Canada)

YYJ-YVR-ICN-REP (air Canada, asiana)

do not remember the terminology as to who takes control of the ticket.

particularly interested in the allowance of the first two group of segments --
phnom penh to zurich on thai and zurich to Victoria Canada on swiss and other carriers.

logic says to call united and thai etc, but experience is that they will advise me it is x kg or x pieces -- and then the check in people will say it is y -- and saying that someone on the phone said z is not that helpful unless I truly understand who at which airline to speak to , and how it works.

thank you
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Your allowance should be printed on the ticket.
If you are entitled to extra by virtue of status on *A, just show your card.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your baggage allowance will come into play long before the gate agent. It should be printed on your e-ticket receipt issued by UA. You can then call each operating carrier and confirm that they calculate your allowance the same way.

The entire receipt is several pages long, so you may need to page through it. Always carry a paper copy of the entire e-ticket receipt.

If you think that is wrong, now is the time to get it fixed. Arguing with check-in personnel is generally a losing proposition and if the argument goes on long enough, you either miss your flight or the bag stays at PHN.

Your *A status will only matter if you are *G. In that case, make certain that your additional allowance is being considered.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
I would try the united website and print and show them! this sounds terrible. I'm sorry you have to fly this route.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:35 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Your baggage policy will be based on the most significant carrier (MSC) for each portion of the journey, except for flights to/from Canada.

For your trip from PNH to ZRH, Thai Airways baggage policies apply, which is weight concept: 50/40/30kg for First/Business/Economy, with extra 20kg for *G members, for combined weight of all checked bags.

http://www.thaiairways.com/en/plan_m.../Baggage.page?

For flights to/from Canada, the baggage policy for the first carrier applies, unless the first carrier decides to apply the MSC concept. For your itinerary, it would be Swiss (first carrier) and/or LH (MSC)for second set of flights. Lucky for you, Swiss and LH have the same baggage policies.

https://www.swiss.com/us/EN/prepare/...e#t-page=pane2

Air Canada baggage policies apply for the third set of flights.

The issuing airline (UA) has no influence on the actual baggage charge, unless the flights were issued under UA codeshare flight numbers (which I doubt for award tickets).

When in doubt, print out the policies from the website of each airline.

Last edited by PTahCha; Feb 9, 2016 at 11:40 am
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Your baggage policy will be based on the most significant carrier (MSC) for each portion of the journey, except for flights to/from Canada.

For your trip from PNH to ZRH, Thai Airways baggage policies apply, which is weight concept: 50/40/30kg for First/Business/Economy, with extra 20kg for *G members, for combined weight of all checked bags.

http://www.thaiairways.com/en/plan_m.../Baggage.page?

For flights to/from Canada, the baggage policy for the first carrier applies, unless the first carrier decides to apply the MSC concept. For your itinerary, it would be Swiss (first carrier) and/or LH (MSC)for second set of flights. Lucky for you, Swiss and LH have the same baggage policies.

https://www.swiss.com/us/EN/prepare/...e#t-page=pane2

Air Canada baggage policies apply for the third set of flights.

The issuing airline (UA) has no influence on the actual baggage charge, unless the flights were issued under UA codeshare flight numbers (which I doubt for award tickets).

When in doubt, print out the policies from the website of each airline.
This is completely incorrect. The baggage allowance is always the same for all flights on the same ticket.

All airlines will grant TG's baggage allowance from PNH-YYJ. Elite status waivers are handled individually by each operating airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.