Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Dark magic needed (*G expiring soon)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G (OZ)

Dark masters of the Universe above the Clouds!

I come here to seek thy wisdom. Here's my situation:

I am a happy flier. Currently with Asiana Club (OZ) where I have *G. Their miles cycle is 24 months and my cycle end by December 31 2015.

I had two kids in the past two years and have been flying a bit less. Also since United and SAS have changed their partner miles policies it turns out that for most of my flights I have only earned 50% qualifying miles.

On my Asiana account there is a meagre 19800 qualifying miles as of today and I need to get beyond 40K before the end of the year. I live in NYC and fly mostly United.

I will fly to GRU in August, and likely also to POA, MEX and BUE so there will be flights happening, but since it's with work I have no control of booking classes and may end up only earning 50% miles.

Help me!

I am in deep despair. I am already suffering from the unbearable thought of being stripped of my privileges that I have come to enjoy so very much. What can I do? I am open to almost anything that will allow me to enter 2016 with privileges (and honor) intact. Even if it means switching to a different alliance or anything...

I bow to your wisdom.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:53 am

Well as soon as your tickets are booked you will know with reasonable accuracy how short you will be of the 40k. At that point start scouring the mileage run forum and find some cheap(-er) fares to collect the rest.

Or make yourself a christmas present with a trip to Asia or Europe in a premium cabin.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott Titanium

United has let me buy up to W fares from whatever work has made me book me into. They'll tell you about the change fee, but I've never had a problem asking them to waive it since you're voluntarily giving United money.

You may also want to look into cheap flights to/from Korea to fly OZ metal, if that accelerates things. You can even offset the cost if you have enough miles for a one way award.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Dark magic will not help only black magic will. Why are you in despair, you have kids now and your travel habits have to accomodate you kids unless your role pays for travel?

If you still insist then I suggest another option is to buy miles and book in J to get access to lounges etc.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by mathiasvestergaard
Dark masters of the Universe above the Clouds!

I come here to seek thy wisdom. Here's my situation:

I am a happy flier. Currently with Asiana Club (OZ) where I have *G. Their miles cycle is 24 months and my cycle end by December 31 2015.

I had two kids in the past two years and have been flying a bit less. Also since United and SAS have changed their partner miles policies it turns out that for most of my flights I have only earned 50% qualifying miles.

On my Asiana account there is a meagre 19800 qualifying miles as of today and I need to get beyond 40K before the end of the year. I live in NYC and fly mostly United.

I will fly to GRU in August, and likely also to POA, MEX and BUE so there will be flights happening, but since it's with work I have no control of booking classes and may end up only earning 50% miles.

Help me!

I am in deep despair. I am already suffering from the unbearable thought of being stripped of my privileges that I have come to enjoy so very much. What can I do? I am open to almost anything that will allow me to enter 2016 with privileges (and honor) intact. Even if it means switching to a different alliance or anything...

I bow to your wisdom.
Just do statusmatch with TK and relax for two years
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Start by doing calculations for your planned and likely trips using 50% and 100% status miles credits to see exactly where you stand in best case and worst case scenarios. If you know for sure that this travel won't earn enough to get you to *Gold, start looking for ways to earn miles now rather than waiting until the end of your "year" to make plans for MRs if needed.

If your business travel is planned sufficiently far in advance to get cheap tickets, consider buying up to a discounted business class fare. This would give you comfort as well as more miles, but of course check the earnings of all fare classes carefully.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Take a trip to Asia on SIA in Flexi Saver. BKK, MNL, CGK are usually not too high priced. It'll cost you a pretty penny, but other methods would probably cost more (assuming you have no other necessary travel planned).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.