Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best Star Alliance Lounge at JFK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys,

Currently *Gold with Turkish. Will be flying to FRA out of JFK and have a 4-hour layover. Any recommendation on lounge selection in terms of food/comfort? Thank you!

alextktan
Old May 15, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, United Club

Are you flying on SQ or LH (they use different terminals)? I believe with SQ, in terminal 4, you will use the LX lounge, and with LH, terminal 1, it will be the LH SEN lounge. There is also an Air India lounge in 4, but i think it has limited hours.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:29 pm

LH Business and Senator Lounges are on Terminal 1. If you are planning to work, then LH Business Lounge has work desks. The Senator lounge has a full fledged bar. I do not know whether both lounges get the same food or not. I have found both lounges relatively empty, so lot of choice when it comes to selecting the seating.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by alextktan
Hi guys,

Currently *Gold with Turkish. Will be flying to FRA out of JFK and have a 4-hour layover. Any recommendation on lounge selection in terms of food/comfort? Thank you!

alextktan
There is no lounge selection in JFK as no terminals are connected airside, if you are not departing in that particular terminal, you cannot get pass security, you can only use the lounge in that terminal where your flight depart.
Old May 16, 2015, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Quote:

Hi guys,

alextktan

There is no lounge selection in JFK as no terminals are connected airside, if you are not departing in that particular terminal, you cannot get pass security, you can only use the lounge in that terminal where your flight depart.
Snap! Same BS happens in CDG. You're stuck at your terminal
Old May 16, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by coltonatx
Snap! Same BS happens in CDG. You're stuck at your terminal
At least at CDG when you arrive you can go to the *A lounge before going through immigration. Was nice to do that arriving on TG from BKK to shower and freshen up and then make my way to the SAS lounge.

But ya...at JFK you're stuck with your terminal.

Only real lounge hoping that you can do would be Air India to Swiss in T4 and if you are flying NH out of T7 you have access to the BA lounge but could also visit the UC (no idea why you'd want to).
Old May 16, 2015, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raybolt
Are you flying on SQ or LH (they use different terminals)? I believe with SQ, in terminal 4, you will use the LX lounge, and with LH, terminal 1, it will be the LH SEN lounge. There is also an Air India lounge in 4, but i think it has limited hours.
Thanks, I am flying SQ. So, how's the food at LX lounge?

alextktan
Old May 16, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I've only been in there flying OZ and SA which leave earlier in the day so it is a breakfast spread which compares to any typical 3 star hotel continental breakfast.

I imagine it's not much better in the afternoon but you'll have 4 hours...maybe eat something proper in the terminal and then go to the lounge to work/relax/drink and if feeling peckish have a snack?
Old May 17, 2015, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I've only been in there flying OZ and SA which leave earlier in the day so it is a breakfast spread which compares to any typical 3 star hotel continental breakfast.

I imagine it's not much better in the afternoon but you'll have 4 hours...maybe eat something proper in the terminal and then go to the lounge to work/relax/drink and if feeling peckish have a snack?
Thanks. How about the return flight? Any insights about the lounge in SIN?

alextktan
Old May 17, 2015, 9:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thanks. How about the return flight? Any insights about the lounge in SIN?

alextktan
Are you flying in J? If so it's a no brainer for the SQ SilverKris lounge.

If you're relying on *G, your options are not great. KrisFlyer Gold or the TG lounge.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
SQ flies out of T4 so they use the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse. It's a pretty nice lounge
Old May 15, 2016, 5:21 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
SQ flies out of T4 so they use the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse. It's a pretty nice lounge
If you're flying SQ out of JFK Terminal 4, you only get into the Virgin Club House if you're in First Class. If you're in J I think you only get into the Wing Tips (Oasis?) Lounge.

As a *Gold flying out of T4, you would also have access to Air India's small Maharajah Lounge (unsure of the hours though) and the Swiss Lounge.

I'm about to depart out of JFK T4 for the first time in a couple of weeks. I'm a *Gold flying in SQ J, so I'm debating between Swiss (through my *Gold) or the Wingtips Lounge (through my SQ J ticket).
Old May 15, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Swiss at JFK T4 is thoroughly underwhelming...
I've only been in there for OZ flights, and each time, I've found it to get to around 70% full. Food options are ho-hum. My last flight out of JFK on OZ, I went and had a 'shroom burger at the T4 shake shack before heading to the swiss lounge to wait for my flight

And if the OP is flying Y as *G, then all you're getting at SIN is a slightly comfier seats and some free food and drinks. The krisflyer gold lounges don't even have toilets, let alone showers...

If you're flying J, then head to the silverkris lounge at t3. it's a bit nicer than the one at t2.
Old May 16, 2016, 2:42 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by Kacee
If you're relying on *G, your options are not great. KrisFlyer Gold or the TG lounge.
Indeed SQ's Krisflyer Gold lounges in SIN T2 and T3 are very average for a home airport. They get 1-2 stars out of 4 on LoungeBuddy. No showers or toilets. Food OK.

TG lounge is in T1 but I haven't tried it. But TG *G/J lounges are generally rather average too (even in BKK).

Airside transfers are possible if you want to try more than one lounge, but hardly worth it.

Of course there is the airside pool in T1 if you feel like an outdoor swim.
Old May 17, 2016, 7:02 am
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Originally Posted by timster
Indeed SQ's Krisflyer Gold lounges in SIN T2 and T3 are very average for a home airport. They get 1-2 stars out of 4 on LoungeBuddy. No showers or toilets. Food OK.
From my experience, despite a much hyped and vaunted business class service, SQ's ground game is weak. Of the SilverKris lounges in TPE, LHR, HKG and SIN that I have visited, none have been very impressive- even the newly renovated ones at LHR and HKG. Certainly, they are not nearly as nice as CX's lounges at HKG or even some LH SEN lounges.

Note that at SIN, SQ segregates out the *Golds and their own Krisflyer Elite Golds, from J-class ticketholders and their premier PPS Club members. *Golds don't get to use the J-Class lounge (SilverKris Lounge) or the J-class check-in desks at SIN, but rather use the dedicated Krisflyer Elite Gold desks and Krisflyer Gold lounge. So, just to clarify, there are two 'classes' of SQ lounge at SIN- SilverKris for J-class and PPS, and Krisflyer Gold for *Golds and Krisflyer Elite Golds. As others have mentioned, the Krisflyer Gold lounges are pretty bog standard. Even the SilverKris Lounge at SIN feels a bit dated, with old fashioned dark decor, limited amenities and no views, but it is streaks above the Krisflyer Gold Lounge.

SQ is the only * carrier I know of that does this...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.