Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Easiest way to get *A gold for a few months?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2015, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

I'll be making a few transatlantic flights on *A this summer and could really use the extra bag free option. not really interested in other perks. so, really a matter of few hundred bucks, so still something.

what would be the best/easiest way to get *A gold for a few months? thru status match? if so, which airline? Would it also complicate the fact where the flights are being deposited to?

right now i have gold status with couple of hotels (spg, marriott), but not the airlines (will soon though). though, would like to get it going before I get it with the other airline. is it possible hotel to airline for status match?
Old May 8, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: United Gold

If you just want extra bag benefits, isn't a united credit card easier?
Old May 8, 2015, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hscottm
If you just want extra bag benefits, isn't a united credit card easier?
they're not united flights. rather transatlantic flights. and some will be award flights.
Old May 8, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite

Well which carriers? Transatlantic is not very helpful.
Old May 8, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM

fly 50,000 miles and earn your benefits like most people?
Old May 8, 2015, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suvayanr
Well which carriers? Transatlantic is not very helpful.
LX and LH.
Old May 8, 2015, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cl.lurker
fly 50,000 miles and earn your benefits like most people?
wow, never occurred to me to do the obvious! but now that you have a question mark, i'm not so sure either.
Old May 9, 2015, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

Unless you can do a status match (unlikely with no current status) or find a cobranded CC (also unlikely for LX/LH in USA), you're probably going to spend more time and money figuring this out than just paying to check the bags.

If all you're looking for is one thing, often the simplest solution is the one the airline gives you directly.
Old May 10, 2015, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
wow, never occurred to me to do the obvious!
This is FT, so that's often the case.

My preferred option, which is equally obvious and overlooked, is simply not to check bags if at all possible.
Old May 10, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman

My preferred option, which is equally obvious and overlooked, is simply not to check bags if at all possible.
That's just too crazy, it might even work.
Old May 11, 2015, 9:11 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
TK might match you depending on which airline you achieve Gold status with, but they take an inordinate amount of time to do so. If you can't apply immediately because you don't have status, then there's pretty much zero chance of getting matched before the summer.

As others have said, just accept that sometimes things have to be paid for. You're not a frequent flyer with anyone by your own admission, making you a fairly unattractive proposition for anyone to match, so you'll almost certainly have to pay up - that's the brutal truth, I'm afraid!

There's no way in the world hotel status will get a flying match - the difficulty and cost of getting the two (particularly where a cheap credit card gives you at least mid-level status in many programs) is in no way comparable.
Old May 11, 2015, 2:48 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
they're not united flights. rather transatlantic flights. and some will be award flights.
I have seen *G available on Aegean with the least effort. Also I think you can buy it on e-bay sometimes from people who can give you the status on Turkish
Old May 12, 2015, 8:48 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by NDN
I have seen *G available on Aegean with the least effort.
I'm afraid, as of November 2014, this is no longer remotely true. A3*G, with the earnings chart, is now one of the hardest to obtain from scratch. The OP would be lucky to reach A3*S ...
Old May 13, 2015, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
TK might match you depending on which airline you achieve Gold status with, but they take an inordinate amount of time to do so. If you can't apply immediately because you don't have status, then there's pretty much zero chance of getting matched before the summer.

As others have said, just accept that sometimes things have to be paid for. You're not a frequent flyer with anyone by your own admission, making you a fairly unattractive proposition for anyone to match, so you'll almost certainly have to pay up - that's the brutal truth, I'm afraid!

There's no way in the world hotel status will get a flying match - the difficulty and cost of getting the two (particularly where a cheap credit card gives you at least mid-level status in many programs) is in no way comparable.
Thanks for the detailed analysis. I suspected it's a long shot, but then not a deal breaker either.
Old May 13, 2015, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman

whereas my preferred option is to Be able to fill boards with 40k+ of mostly mundane posts like above. (Semi-sarcastic but also semi-wishful).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.