Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Gold - Guest Privileges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold

I have Star Alliance gold status (with Aegean). For the next two weeks I'm travelling from London around Canada and the US with my girlfriend. We'll be flying in economy on Air Canada and United.

I'm aware we can both use the lounge when we fly on Air Canada, United, etc (with her as my guest) but do guest privileges extend to other benefits - specifically priority security and priority boarding? Clearly I'm not going to use these benefits if she can't too!

For reference we'll be flying through LHR, YOW, ORD, SEA, SFO, EWR - in case that impacts security line policy.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John
Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold

Afaik you will not be able to use the lounges in the US except for the return flight to Europe. Priority boarding as well as security seems to be hit or miss with UA depending on who is manning the gate/lane access at least in my experience but not noted on your travel mates boarding pass.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 5:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Muerz
Afaik you will not be able to use the lounges in the US except for the return flight to Europe.
Why would you say that? A3 *G gets UC access for domestic flights.

Originally Posted by itfcfan
I'm aware we can both use the lounge when we fly on Air Canada, United, etc (with her as my guest) but do guest privileges extend to other benefits - specifically priority security and priority boarding? Clearly I'm not going to use these benefits if she can't too!
You're entitled to bring your travel companion in the *G line for check-in and boarding. Whether the airports will let you use priority security is up to them.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
Originally Posted by Muerz
Afaik you will not be able to use the lounges in the US except for the return flight to Europe. Priority boarding as well as security seems to be hit or miss with UA depending on who is manning the gate/lane access at least in my experience but not noted on your travel mates boarding pass.
This is false. The restriction regarding UA lounge access only pertains to UA elite members flying domestically. *G members of different *A airlines can gain access to the lounges, even if flying domestically on UA. Just show your card. This is confirmed on the UA website and I also just confirmed by phone to the lounge at EWR.

The text of the UA elite restriction per the website -- United Star Alliance Gold members may access any United Club only when holding a boarding pass for a same-day international Star Alliance member flight.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:11 am

Similar question as that of OP. What about kids? Can I use "priority check-in, security and boarding" for my wife and 2 kids ages 6 & 9 on Star Alliance flight (AI) in Singapore?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Priority security in Canada (at least at YYZ) is limited to AC elites of a certain level, AC premium class passengers and certain Amex cardholders. Even UA F pax don't get priority security - so no chance of that.

Anyone telling you you won't have lounge access is simply wrong - as a *G you will have access to any *G lounge, well, in the world, so long as you are flying a *A carrier that day.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold

I'm a Europe based UA elite, that's why I was wrong. Sorry :-)
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Priority security in Canada (at least at YYZ) is limited to AC elites of a certain level, AC premium class passengers and certain Amex cardholders.
True priority screening in Canada requires a Nexus card.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Asia Miles, MH Enrich, SPG Gold, Marriott Rewards, Hyatt Gold, Le Club Accor

I am UA *G and I fly frequently domestically and internationally. I have not had any problem bringing my wife and son to priority check in and boarding lines, though they are not *G.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Redhat72
Similar question as that of OP. What about kids? Can I use "priority check-in, security and boarding" for my wife and 2 kids ages 6 & 9 on Star Alliance flight (AI) in Singapore?
Yes, in my experience you can use priority check in and boarding with your wife and kids too if you are *G. As others have said priority security depends on the airport but you might be lucky. As you likely know you are not entitled to bring more than one guest into the lounge as *G though I have brought my wife and kids in in the past as *G..
Old Oct 5, 2023, 6:51 am

Programs: Miles and Bonus
Hello. Do we have an update on that? I just traveled with my colleague and I observed that she is group 2, while she is only silver ( I am gold). I was wondering if she has also fast lane access as that would be great. We have the same PNR. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 9:58 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lio13
I was wondering if she has also fast lane access as that would be great. We have the same PNR. Thanks in advance for your input.
If you're referring to security, gold track security is usually limited to the elite member.
lio13 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lio13
Hello. Do we have an update on that? I just traveled with my colleague and I observed that she is group 2, while she is only silver ( I am gold). I was wondering if she has also fast lane access as that would be great. We have the same PNR. Thanks in advance for your input.
It'll depend on the airport. YMMV. UA will allow a guest w/ you in the premium security lane, I have seen LH allow it. Seen issues at 'outstations' and when electronic gates are used to allow access (or not).
lio13 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.