FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   Free Heathrow Express upgrade for *A Gold members (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/1671539-free-heathrow-express-upgrade-gold-members.html)

jktraveler Apr 12, 2015 1:16 pm

Free Heathrow Express upgrade for *A Gold members

http://euflyer.boardingarea.com/2015...-gold-members/

sandiegofun Apr 12, 2015 11:56 pm

Free Heathrow Express upgrade for *A Gold members

Fantastic! I am going to use this coming Friday. :-)

JVPhoto Apr 13, 2015 6:01 am

Interesting I just took the HEX but didn't know of this. Again it's a 25 min ride so not sure if it is that big of a deal.
Going back in 2 weeks but may be more of a hassle trying to prove to the inspector.

NWIFlyer Apr 14, 2015 6:26 am

Actually, it's a 15 minute ride, so the benefit isn't even as great as you think! :(.

The upgrade also depends on buying a full-price ticket - which you can probably take to mean no railcard discounts or HEX discount codes are allowed.

chisquared Apr 16, 2015 1:26 am

Gave this a try today. Ticket inspector didn't seem to have a clue what I was talking about when I mentioned the promo, but he also didn't seem to be too interested in figuring it out and left me be.

tfung May 22, 2015 11:18 am

I asked the ticket inspectors standing on the platform near the first class carriage about this promotion last week, and he knew about it... fantastic offer!

tfung Sep 15, 2016 8:08 am

Unfortunately this offer seems to have ended on Sept 1st...

Bakpapier Sep 15, 2016 8:14 am

Why go through the hassle to ride first class on a 15 minute train ride? Is the train normally chock full with commuters?

wyvern Sep 17, 2016 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by tfung (Post 27215353)
Unfortunately this offer seems to have ended on Sept 1st...

The offer referenced in the previous posts was the 2015 offer.

The 2016 offer http://heathrowt2.staralliance.com/offers should still be valid.

Originally Posted by Bakpapier (Post 27215386)
Why go through the hassle to ride first class on a 15 minute train ride? Is the train normally chock full with commuters?

The standard class can get pretty full.

You get a free copy of the FT (Financial Times) in first.

A virtual *A gold card via a mobile app does not always seem to make the ticket inspectors very happy, but in my experience to date has not been refused.

catocony Sep 18, 2016 7:55 am

Is a free newspaper and guaranteed sitting for 15 minutes instead of maybe have to stand for 15 minutes worth the extra money? Buying discount tickets online saves a substantial amount if you guy up front or with the Duo Saver.

I guess if you're traveling solo and didn't buy a ticket up front, it's only 5 quid or so difference in ticket prices between saver and standard, so buying standard to get the upgrade is probably worth it.

12939 Sep 20, 2016 4:07 pm

I was advised this evening by the train conductor that this offer ended yesterday, and charged £10 for the upgrade - apparently train crews were informed at the start of their shift today. A manager confirmed the same, but no documentary evidence was offered.

However, I can find no reference to the offer ending on the Star Alliance offer page and it would still appear to be valid. Anyone else experience this?

lhrsfo Sep 23, 2016 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Bakpapier (Post 27215386)

On the rare occasion I've used the Heathrow Express, it's been rammed - but then I only use it if the Tube is not working for some reason.

drewguy Oct 4, 2016 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by 12939 (Post 27239881)
I was advised this evening by the train conductor that this offer ended yesterday, and charged £10 for the upgrade - apparently train crews were informed at the start of their shift today. A manager confirmed the same, but no documentary evidence was offered.

However, I can find no reference to the offer ending on the Star Alliance offer page and it would still appear to be valid. Anyone else experience this?

Helpful terms:

3. PROMOTION PERIOD

The Promotion starts on 15 February, 2016 and will last for as long as the Offer is valid. The starting and closing time depends on the scheduled timetable of the Heathrow Express (“Fulfilment Partner”).
Seems like HEx can just say "nope, no longer valid" and nick you for extra money.

wyvern Oct 12, 2016 1:26 am

This offer is back on. I was told by a HEX duty manager that there had been 'issues' between HEX and *A leading to the offer being suspended until the issues had been resolved, but that it resumed on 9 October and will be running indefinitely.

I used the offer yesterday and it was working then.

NWIFlyer Oct 26, 2016 12:39 pm

It is definitely running today - sitting in First Class now waiting for the 1940 to depart, and the agents at the door confirmed the offer is valid. This certainly looks permanent(ish).

I wonder if HEX's plan was to try and tempt people into paying for First Class following the taster period, and when the numbers didn't materialise they went back and did another deal with Star?