Wiki Posts
Search

Best *A for elite status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Best *A for elite status

Hi,

First of all I would like to apologize for my bad english.

Since the beginning of the year I travel quite often. Until now I traveled with VSand AZ and I accumulate miles with DL.

I have my first flight with LX (BRU-DEL via ZRH) in three weeks and I don't know which program to choose knowing that my goal is to reach as easily as possible an elite status.

So,
how does the accumulation of qualifying miles work? is it always based on the distance flown or is like the award miles where the fare class changes the mileage accrual?

What Star Alliance program that provides the easiest access to elite status? I hesitated with TK, A3, OZ, UA and TG.

Thank you for your answers.

PS: I usually travel on economy and discounted economy.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:54 pm
zh

Programs: TK *G, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond,UA Silver
I like A3 - not as good as before, but still lower requirements than the other programs
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Armin92, you did very good with your English. Congratulations.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Armin92
PS: I usually travel on economy and discounted economy.
Well here's your problem. It really depends what airlines you will fly with. If you will consistently fly BRU-ZRH-DEL on LX, then A3's accrual chart is probably OK as you will always earn at least 50% of the mileage. That said, accumulating 48k miles to reach A3*G within one year would require you 13 r/t trips at 50% (ZRH-DEL is 3820 miles each way).

OZ might be "easier" as you only need 40k miles in 2 years, however the discount economy earning on LX goes down to 25% for E, K, L, T... so you will still need a LOT of flying to get there.

UA could also be a good compromise as you need 50k miles in a year and it pays mostly 100% on LX, but K and L earn nothing.

So basically earning significant status (*G) might be difficult. The best thing you can do is to carefully plan your travel for the next year, check out the booking class you are likely to get, and simulate your earnings in the various programs.

Finally, if your goal is to have extra luggage and lounge access, and if you will fly consistently with LX, my recommendation is to simply accumulate your miles with Miles and More and achieve FTL status (*S). This can be done by flying 35k miles, or more easily by flying 30 segments per year. Having FTL status will give you lounge access in BRU, ZRH, and DEL; and will give you one extra piece of checked luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.