Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Rumour: Royal Air Maroc to join Star?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumour: Royal Air Maroc to join Star?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
CMN–JFK is not a plus for *A. Unlike at EWR, UA barely has a presence at JFK. The domestic carriers with a major presence at JFK are AA, B6, and DL.
You are making several assumptions, including a big assumption - viz. that JFK does not have O&D travelers. While I love EWR and disdain JFK, there are many people traveling to/from NYC for whom JFK is acceptable - even preferred.

Additionally, there are *A travelers for whom JFK is an acceptable connecting point to/from a TATL flight - e.g. YYZ-JFK-XXX, LAX-JFK-XXX, and SFO-JFK-XXX. One can also fairly easily connect between JFK & LGA, further increasing the number of passengers for whom JFK is not unreasonable.

Another advantage of CMN-JFK-CMM for *A carriers, because of flight times, for many in Africa served by AT, not having to transit through Europe means not having to overnight enroute. Remember, too there are also travelers who for visa reasons cannot transit through Europe.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:34 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Interesting rumor.

I wonder if that will affect their current FFP partnership with Etihad (earn and redeem)?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:58 am

Programs: UA Silver
Star-AT possibility

This would be excellent news for those of us living in African backwaters (well, backwaters at least as far as major European carriers are concerned). I'm in Bangui, and while, yes, the AF flight to Paris is more comfortable, they only offer one RT a week, leaving Paris on a Tuesday morning and returning (via a 5-hour mandatory stopover in Cameroon during which you're kept in a huge holding cell and not allowed to enter the main airport) by early Wednesday morning.

We have two AT flights a week, with much more humane departure times to Casa, and from there it's straightforward to get to most places in Europe, as well as North Africa and the Middle East.

I'd be thrilled if I didn't have to "throw away" my miles into the Safar program. I have an old Etihad account, but they only count discounted economy tickets 50-75% on AT.

Please keep me updated, as I have a flight on AT at the end of February. Is AT joining *A likely to happen soon? I'll let you all know if I hear anything.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
They have a decent coverage of West Africa, which they leverage quite a bit here in Germany:

They cleaned up their act and look well organised:
http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...ability-204363

SN covers quite a bit of Europe-W. Africa, but the more coverage the better. The PEK-CMN link should attract quite a bit of China-Africa traffic currently served only by the ME3 at this point.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by cannon80
Please keep me updated, as I have a flight on AT at the end of February. Is AT joining *A likely to happen soon? I'll let you all know if I hear anything.
Joining takes quite a bit of time. Its still just a rumor, besides. Perhaps February, 2016 - if you are lucky.

If your concern is earning miles on a plan that you could actually use, you could consider joining ET. Then you could fly the short hop BGF-DLA (ET operated by KP), connect to ET DLA-ADD from where one can hop easily to Europe. Yes, it is certainly longer. But your earned miles could be more widely used.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The PEK-CMN link should attract quite a bit of China-Africa traffic currently served only by the ME3 at this point.
China to Africa is better served than you're giving credit for. Don't forget, TK and ET both also cover PEK, PVG, and CAN + HKG. ET has appeared to be heavily reliant on transit pax to Africa when I've flown them and TK offers a lot of connections into Africa as well. SA picks up a bit of this as well from PEK & HKG but their logical connections are in the southern end of the continent. MS & KQ both have China flight as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.