Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star does not even rank in the first 3 alliances

Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan E75

Why would Star has to be fourth according to this consumer's survey?

http://www.globaltravelerusa.com/2014-gt-tested-awards/

Certainly there are plenty of areas where Star has to improve.

Which one comes to your mind?

For me:

1. Force member airlines to grant access to * Gold in their lounge, wherever they are travelling, provided it is with a Star member.

2. Make sure one can buy itinerary combining Star member. Example: impossible to combine SN and LH on BRU - EDI - VLC.

3. Force member airlines to give at least 50% mileage on any class rate.

4. Forbid members to have FF programs that require more than 25% flights on their aircraft.

5. Force members to codeshare: example, now impossible to travel BKK-YUL on Star, because TG does not cooperate with AC.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 1:52 am

Programs: DL-PM, HHonors-Silver, Marriott-Gold
What a ridiculous list. O'Hare is the best airport? United has the best mileage program? Delta Skyclub is the best lounge? China Airlines is the best in Northern Asia? Cathay Pacific is no where in the best category.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:09 am

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lepdx
What a ridiculous list. O'Hare is the best airport? United has the best mileage program? Delta Skyclub is the best lounge? China Airlines is the best in Northern Asia? Cathay Pacific is no where in the best category.
Agreed! This list is not very credible.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:31 am

I have to admit that I didn't look at the link, but the conditions which you mention are not correct. Looking at this as an AP member, there are many rates (even with AC) which give less than 50% mileage. As of next year we require 50% on AC metal.

I am surprised at combining itineraries. I have done this with airlines from completely different alliances (or even no alliance) with no trouble, but it requires a TA. It isn't banned, though.

Regarding number 1, if I don't have lounge access (currently sitting in a ZH lounge in XIA) or other benefits, then what's the point? Also I am pretty sure that my fares on this round trip will be well under 50%, but I hope to be surprised!

Dr. PITUK
Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:43 am

If you want to see how serious the list is, just scroll down to the part on wine and just check the categories. "Ridiculous" is too weak to describe what you're.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Agree the survey might not be a great value!
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by painintheuk

I am surprised at combining itineraries. I have done this with airlines from completely different alliances (or even no alliance) with no trouble, but it requires a TA. It isn't banned, though.

Dr. PITUK
Yes, could be done with a TA but if there is any change, you might not be informed. And if you need to change anything to your itinerary, even select the seat, the airlines will not touch the file.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

787 as best aircraft...the one that keeps catching fire.

^
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:45 am

*A is going down the hill massively. Integration was never really good, and since almost all members have started with "special" subcompanies, running outside of *A, to not give benefits to other *A (and in some cases, not even their own members) it has took quite a dent.

this said, I browsed through the list and it's mostly utter garbage..
Old Dec 6, 2014, 9:46 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

LOL. DL SkyClub ranked 1 while LH F lounge ranked 6?
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The GT results are ridiculous (best transpac airline United!) and not even self-consistent (compare best airline to Australia & NZ wtih best airline in south pacific, which last I checked included Australia & NZ),
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by ulyparis
Why would Star has to be fourth according to this consumer's survey?

http://www.globaltravelerusa.com/2014-gt-tested-awards/

Certainly there are plenty of areas where Star has to improve.

Which one comes to your mind?

For me:

1. Force member airlines to grant access to * Gold in their lounge, wherever they are travelling, provided it is with a Star member.

2. Make sure one can buy itinerary combining Star member. Example: impossible to combine SN and LH on BRU - EDI - VLC.

3. Force member airlines to give at least 50% mileage on any class rate.

4. Forbid members to have FF programs that require more than 25% flights on their aircraft.

5. Force members to codeshare: example, now impossible to travel BKK-YUL on Star, because TG does not cooperate with AC.
#1 should be happening, obviously excluding F lounges, contract lounges when flying airlines that do not contract with the lounge, and UA *G for domestic US travel.

#2 airlines can't be forced to provide all possible itineraries (most of which would be ridiculous with no demand). There are workarounds involving travel agents (remember them).

#3 while this would be nice unfortunately price is king for passengers.

#4 why? If an airline wants to provide benefits only to those who fly with them a lot then why shouldn't they. That said, I'd prefer this to be additional tier above *G rather than all elite status.

#5 see #2.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
How can Star Alliance force member airines to do anything? The last time I checked, Star Alliance was made up of the airlines, and the airlines make the rules. Star Alliance not some independent third-party that has any say in operational matters.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
This list doesn't seem to align with my experiences..
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
What a terrible website.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.