Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

United Gold on Avianca metal but TACA codeshare

Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold

Hello

I am flying EWR -> UIO on an award ticket in December. I have United Gold status and I booked the award flight through their website (Mileage Plus).

The flights I will be on are all Avianca metal (Flight# AVXXXX). However, they say they are operated by Taca Airlines, which is not a Star Alliance member.

Will I be able to make use of any of my Gold status perks? Extra baggage? Lounge access? Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:34 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....

The marketing flight number does not necessarily mean that the flight is operated by the same carrier. In your example the marketing carrier is avianca and the actual metal or operating carrier is Taca. As for lounge access you will need to check and see what start lounges are available.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:40 am
Original Poster

thanks for the clarification!
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Avianca and TACA merged last year. It's all Avianca now, though TACA still operates separately. Similar to sUA and sCO under the United Airlines banner.

You will have *A benes, including access to departure lounges. Be sure to bring your card, it can be difficult to get past lounge security if you don't have it with you.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by acvitale
The marketing flight number does not necessarily mean that the flight is operated by the same carrier. In your example the marketing carrier is avianca and the actual metal or operating carrier is Taca. As for lounge access you will need to check and see what start lounges are available.
*A awards are never booked on codeshares. Most likely a wetlease due to the merger mentioned.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by red star
*A awards are never booked on codeshares. Most likely a wetlease due to the merger mentioned.
It's not a codeshare.

Nor is it a wetlease.

As stated above, it's an Avianca flight, but it's operated by the TACA subsidiary.

It's exactly like flying a United flight operated by the Continental operating subsidiary. Avianca is just more transparent about operating subsidiaries than UA is.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info
Old Aug 16, 2014, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not a codeshare.

Nor is it a wetlease.

As stated above, it's an Avianca flight, but it's operated by the TACA subsidiary.

It's exactly like flying a United flight operated by the Continental operating subsidiary. Avianca is just more transparent about operating subsidiaries than UA is.
And what makes you think it is not an wetlease?
By the way TACA isn't a subsidary of Avianca rather than a sister.
But sister or not it clearly seems to be an ACMI.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by red star
And what makes you think it is not an wetlease?
By the way TACA isn't a subsidary of Avianca rather than a sister.
But sister or not it clearly seems to be an ACMI.
Yes, in fact, TACA is a wholly owned subsidiary of Avianca Holdings, S.A. You can read about it here: Avianca Corporate Profile

If you look at how AV displays flight options, it will describe the flights operated by its wholly owned TACA subsidiary as "AVxyz operated by TACA Airlines International."

The suggestion that this is a wetlease is simply absurd.

btw, just try to go and book a flight on the TACA website. You'll find yourself redirected to Avianca because "TACA is now Avianca."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.