Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Interline NRT-PVG-TPE-HAN-SIN ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2014, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BW Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, M&C Gold

Can I check a bag thru from NRT-PVG-TPE-HAN-SIN ?

Its on ANA- Air China- EVA - SQ.

From my research, it seems the interline agreements are in place. All are connections and the longest layover is only 12 hours. Will the ANA agent check my bags thru all the way to SIN?
Old May 20, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
In theory it's possible, will NH do it is the big question. I've once had them refuse a through check when I was transiting in PEK because it was "China" but then I've had them offer to do it other times, hit or miss. Even at the *G or Business check in counters I've run across a lot of poorly trained NH staff.
Old May 20, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Not going to make a difference as you will need to pick up your bags at PVG anyway and go back to departure level to check in with CA normally. CA staff at PVG are not usually properly trained to check through bags so your best bet is ask NH to thru check bags and ask CA at PVG to use the existing tags.

Can't be sure about HAN but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old May 20, 2014, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Not going to make a difference as you will need to pick up your bags at PVG anyway and go back to departure level to check in with CA normally. CA staff at PVG are not usually properly trained to check through bags so your best bet is ask NH to thru check bags and ask CA at PVG to use the existing tags.

Can't be sure about HAN but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I thought that PVG has had through check service for a few years now? I've personally been through PEK and CAN many times as well as some secondary international airports but have no firsthand experience at PVG. I do know I've read that MU can do through check there, does that not apply to other carriers?
Old May 20, 2014, 1:56 pm

All on *A. It's hard to believe that this problem exists in this day and age. Of course, I had a similar issue at YUL going from UA to LX, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Old May 20, 2014, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by dvs7310
I thought that PVG has had through check service for a few years now? I've personally been through PEK and CAN many times as well as some secondary international airports but have no firsthand experience at PVG. I do know I've read that MU can do through check there, does that not apply to other carriers?
PVG is different from PEK and CAN. Air side transfer at PVG T2 is only available between NZ & LX/LH/VS and between AA & CX/KA.
Old May 21, 2014, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BW Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, M&C Gold
In that case, that means for my routed airlines, there are NO transfer desk airside in PVG ?

So I need to clear immigration and collect the luggage at landside and clear immigration again?

If thats gonna be so much of a hassle, I may need to reroute to INCHEON instead coz I have quite a few checked bags and travelling with 2 young children.

I guess NRT-ICN-TPE-SIN should not have any check-thru issues on ASIANA-EVA-EVA ?

Last edited by planetshakers; May 21, 2014 at 1:08 am
Old May 21, 2014, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by planetshakers
In that case, that means for my routed airlines, there are NO transfer desk airside in PVG ?

So I need to clear immigration and collect the luggage at landside and clear immigration again?

If thats gonna be so much of a hassle, I may need to reroute to INCHEON instead coz I have quite a few checked bags and travelling with 2 young children.
Correct. At PVG, clear immigration, collect bags, clear Customs, go up to departure level and re check in as usual. Airsaide transfer desk is only available to the airline pairs I mentioned.

I guess NRT-ICN-TPE-SIN should not have any check-thru issues on ASIANA-EVA-EVA ?
You will have no issue with this routing.
Old May 21, 2014, 11:07 pm

Unless it has an excessively long layover, that's a far more pleasant routing anyway. As as the above poster mentioned, baggage should not be an issue. Think the ONLY place I've had *A partners not interline was via China.

I'm assuming with an itinerary like this you're using miles. Keep an eye out as the date gets closer, I wouldn't be surprised to see something direct to TPE open up on BR or NH, possibly even OZ ICN-SIN or UA/NH NRT-SIN (Don't forget to check NH HND-SIN as well). Intra-Asia routes tend to be pretty good for availability.
Old May 21, 2014, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
PVG is different from PEK and CAN. Air side transfer at PVG T2 is only available between NZ & LX/LH/VS and between AA & CX/KA.
This. OP will have to pick up their bags at PVG anyway.
Old May 22, 2014, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Decided to ditch PVG.

Instead went with NRT-ICN-TPE-HKG-BKK-SIN.

ASIANA-EVA-EVA-TG-SQ

Should not have any baggage issues, right?

Decided to go for ASIANA as they have their new A380s on NRT-ICN for familiarization flights.
Old May 22, 2014, 9:42 pm

Firstly, i've done PVG transit last year LX-SQ. No picking up bags etc, just had to go through immigration (using the transit desk). Interline agreements aside, is it all on one ticket?

That being said, travelling NRT-ICN-TPE-HKG-BKK-SIN with 2 young kids?!? Madness is the only word I can think that comes to mind.

goodo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.