Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2016, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cur
Accessing TBIT *A Lounge from T7/T8 at LAX
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Yes, there is an airside connector between T4 through T8. After T7 security, follow the signs to T6, go past the Alaska Airlines Boardroom/Wolfgang Puck and you'll see escalators down to the connector. From T4 to TBIT, follow signs for Gate 41 (near T4 security). Ideally if you have pre-check, I would clear security in T4 for the Star Alliance lounge.
Plan on at least 15-20 minutes walking each way.

This link can answer 99% of the questions asked here.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/web/staralliance/lounge-finder

No access on UA Domestic First without Star Gold.

Contact number: 310 648 7020
Print Wikipost

LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:06 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Sorry if this is obvious or if it's been covered already (I searched!)

Flying LAX-AUH on Etihad. I want to credit my miles to Etihad because of the poor earning rates on other airlines. Will I be able to use my Star Alliance gold status to get in?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bworrell
Flying LAX-AUH on Etihad. I want to credit my miles to Etihad because of the poor earning rates on other airlines. Will I be able to use my Star Alliance gold status to get in?
No. Etihad is not a member of Star Alliance, so your status means nothing to them in terms of lounge access, so they will not give you a pass.

You *G status will not get you in directly as you are not departing on a *A airline.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:32 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some

No because you are not flying a Star Alliance flight.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by JC5280
I went to check this lounge out last month, had 4 hours in LAX before my LAX-MEL flight so plenty of time. I cannot ditto this comment above enough. It actually took me a while to figure out how to get out. Not sure if I did it right, but I ended up in an elevator by some huge glass windows at the front, down a long corridor that seemed like it was employees only, and when I crossed through a door, I was by the security checkpoint. I wish I could tell you how I got out, but it may have been luck.

Getting in took a while, the security lines move slow with lots of international travelers. There are TSA Pre Check signs, but the officer I spoke with said they havent had it open as far as he can remember.

The lounge itself was nice. The Pho bar was the best part. The food layout was okay. Sandwiches, salad, cheese/crackers that I didnt try. The actual bar was very nice and had a agreat selection. The outdoor patio was awesome, and it was at night so the fireplaces added to the ambiance.

I normall fly in/out of T7/T8 and so I estimate with the walk (20min) and security (10-15min), and getting that in reverse on the way back, I would only do it if I had 2 hours as a minimum on the ground there in LAX.
Originally Posted by QBK
No new information here, really, but I thought I'd contribute another data point. I'm flying LAX-SYD on United, had a 3-hour layover (came in on WN... there's a story there...), and figured I'd try the TBIT lounge. I think it took me about 25 minutes from the Terminal 7 ticket counters to the lounge, but security was a bit of a zoo in TBIT. Probably about 12 minutes walking and 13 minutes clearing security and finding the lounge. I'm sitting there now.

BP scanners didn't even blink at my UA mobile boarding pass. No trouble, no questions, no nothing. The lounge staff were a little confused, but didn't make any trouble.

It's definitely worth the hike if you have time, IMHO. The lounge isn't revolutionary, but it's up to international standards -- roughly comparable to NH in NRT or a LH SEN lounge anywhere. Showers are fully functional, and look pretty similar to the LH showers at IAD (lower water pressure, but without LH's signature fluctuating water temperature). All in all, it's improved my outlook on the 15-hour flight to SYD.
For returning business class/Star Gold passengers from Australia (e.g. SYD-LAX-XXX all on UA metal), will you have access to the TBIT *A lounge? It would be nice to take a shower after a 14 hour flight, since none of the UA clubs at LAX have showers. I know you have to transfer from T7 to TBIT and back, but if you have a several hours connection, the trek to TBIT sounds like it would be worth it, even if you have to go through security twice.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Time traveller
For returning business class/Star Gold passengers from Australia (e.g. SYD-LAX-XXX all on UA metal), will you have access to the TBIT *A lounge? It would be nice to take a shower after a 14 hour flight, since none of the UA clubs at LAX have showers. I know you have to transfer from T7 to TBIT and back, but if you have a several hours connection, the trek to TBIT sounds like it would be worth it, even if you have to go through security twice.
Yes. Not due to your inbound flight (as it's not an arrivals lounge), but because of your outbound *A flight and your *G status.

SYD-LAX is actually arriving into TBIT now days, so you won't have any further to walk (you'll already need to walk TBIT->T7/T8), but you will need to go through security an extra time - once in TBIT and a second time in T7/T8 (or even T4/5/6 and walk airside).
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Remember TSA Pre closing hours in your departure terminal

I had a connection of just under 2 hours last night and did manage to squeeze in a visit to the lounge. Getting there wasn't a real problem, even with the crowds for around-midnight TPAC departures; I was through TBIT security within 25 minutes of exiting my arriving plane at T7.

(The TSA reps at LAX seem to be phenomenally efficient; the one who checked my ID said "oh, this isn't busy" after I commented about all the other travelers.)

Unlike my first visit, the agent waiting outside understood what I was up to, said the showers were still open if I wanted to freshen up, and reminded me to watch the time. I did as I enjoyed a quick dinner. But what I forgot about was that they can close TSA Pre in T7 an hour before the last red-eye departure--according to one agent checking IDs, at about 10:15 last night, while another post here cites 10:30.

I found out about that the not-so-hard way: I had to wait an extra 15 minutes on a long but reasonably-quickly-moving line, then take my laptop out of my bag to go through security. But I got on the plane and, since my carry-ons both it under the seat, did not have to worry about boarding with group 6.

That is something I'll have to keep in mind--until the finish and open the connector between TBIT and T4, at which point the commute will require about as many steps but won't involve clearing security twice or dodging enormous luggage on the sidewalk outside T4/5/6/7.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by DCA writer
But what I forgot about was that they can close TSA Pre in T7 an hour before the last red-eye departure--according to one agent checking IDs, at about 10:15 last night, while another post here cites 10:30.
How about Pre-check in T4/5/6 - do any of them open later? T4->T8 are now all connected airside, so entering through any of them will work, although it may take a little longer to snake your way between the terminals airside.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by docbert
How about Pre-check in T4/5/6 - do any of them open later? T4->T8 are now all connected airside, so entering through any of them will work, although it may take a little longer to snake your way between the terminals airside.
Excellent question. I should have ducked into T6 first just to avoid the pedestrian traffic on the sidewalk, but I don't know the hours for Pre there and can't seem to find them posted anywhere.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Questions... LAX-IAH on UA in F, IAH-MEX on UA in Y (upgrade did not clear). No status.

1 - I guess no problem getting into TBIT air side with the UA boarding pass?

Test result = no problem getting in

2 - Would *A Lounge let us in (with the LAX-IAH F boarding pass showing INTL)? Possible? Don't even bother trying?

Test result = no problem getting in

Thanks.

Last edited by username; May 23, 2015 at 12:25 am
Old May 27, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal

Originally Posted by docbert
No. Etihad is not a member of Star Alliance, so your status means nothing to them in terms of lounge access, so they will not give you a pass.

You *G status will not get you in directly as you are not departing on a *A airline.
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
No because you are not flying a Star Alliance flight.
This might have changed since the OP, but the EY flight uses the *A lounge.
http://www.etihad.com/en-us/experien...dwide-lounges/
Old May 27, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: A3*G, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by skunker
This might have changed since the OP, but the EY flight uses the *A lounge.
http://www.etihad.com/en-us/experien...dwide-lounges/
*G status won't help anyway as if you fly EY you'd need C+ ticket or status on EY to enter
Old May 27, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Egor
*G status won't help anyway as if you fly EY you'd need C+ ticket or status on EY to enter
Right. I guess since he said there was poor accrual it is in Y.

I'm just surprised EY uses that lounge. I have a LAX-AUH F award on hold and came here for reviews.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA
Is it possible to start a meet up thread for this lounge?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 3:36 pm
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
I'm pretty sure I have my answer, but hoping the experts here can confirm / correct:

Itinerary:
NRT-LAX on UA (Aeroplan reward ticket, business class)
LAX-YYZ on AC (Aeroplan reward ticket, business class)

*A silver status only. Can I access any non-AC departure lounge in LAX? Ideally, the *A lounge in the TBIT? I know the AC lounge will be fine, but our long layover has my considering a day rate at a hotel. Would be nice to avoid.

I believe no - this page says "must be a revenue customer".
http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...access-policy/

Thanks for confirmation / clarification!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
"Revenue Customer" includes those on reward tickets, so you have the same rights as those who paid outright $$$.

Search around this forum for that phrase and see the results ... Cliff Notes: "The phrase is used to exclude those on 'staff travel' from getting access."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.