FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Star Alliance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance-413/)
-   -   Best Star Alliance Lounge in Frankfurt for long layover? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/1545672-best-star-alliance-lounge-frankfurt-long-layover.html)

TravellingBeard Jan 26, 2014 10:46 pm

Best Star Alliance Lounge in Frankfurt for long layover?

Hi folks, travelling to Thailand this December (yeah, booking that reward flight early) and will be transiting through Frankfurt, before I fly on to BKK, in Thai Airways business class.

Simply put, which is the best *A lounge in FRA that specifically has a good place to rest for a few hours. While I enjoy walking around an airport, 7 hours is just too much. I'm agnostic to any airline, as long as they accept my Thai business class ticket, and understand that LH has about 1 million lounges there as well.

Any recommendations for those who've gone through FRA?

Thanks!

Markie Jan 26, 2014 11:54 pm

Are you Star Alliance Gold?

Kiwi Flyer Jan 26, 2014 11:55 pm

IIRC you are limited to the LH business class lounges (unless you have *G status in which case the LH Senator lounges are also available).

I'd generally go for the lounge closest to departure gate, but since you have time you could sample them. Assuming you are arriving from USA then you have non-schengen to non-schengen transfer, which means if you leave the airport or visit certain parts of the terminal you'll have immigration twice (once to enter schengen zone and again to leave it). You are also likely to have at least 1 security check in transit.

rafi2k6 Jan 27, 2014 7:01 am

Best Star Alliance Lounge in Frankfurt for 7 hour layover?

try the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge!
probably a hell of a lot better than LH's business lounges!

YuropFlyer Jan 27, 2014 7:18 am

Originally Posted by rafi2k6 (Post 22230899)
try the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge!
probably a hell of a lot better than LH's business lounges!

I think he needs to be *G to get in there, and as he hasn't specified any status, he'll be restricted to LH's business holes, errrrr lounges ;)

Houminer Jan 27, 2014 7:45 am

LH arrival lounge!

UAPremExecflyer Jan 27, 2014 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Houminer (Post 22231089)
LH arrival lounge!

Why would you make this suggestion without knowing whether the OP qualifies or not? :confused:
Unless the OP is arriving in FRA in First or Business on LH, UA, LX or is LH HON, SEN or FTL (and/or a few other variances), OP has no access to Welcome Lounge.
Check out admission criteria here

vbroucek Jan 27, 2014 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingBeard (Post 22229533)
Hi folks, travelling to Thailand this December (yeah, booking that reward flight early) and will be transiting through Frankfurt, before I fly on to BKK, in Thai Airways business class.

Simply put, which is the best *A lounge in FRA that specifically has a good place to rest for a few hours. While I enjoy walking around an airport, 7 hours is just too much. I'm agnostic to any airline, as long as they accept my Thai business class ticket, and understand that LH has about 1 million lounges there as well.

Thanks!

7 hours is more than enough to go and visit Frankfurt city. And the best lounge? Room in one of the airport hotels :D.

glynot Jan 29, 2014 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Houminer (Post 22231089)
LH arrival lounge!

What's so special about the arrival lounge? I have a 6h transit in FRA coming up and will be flying in/out on LH.

Forrest Bump Jan 29, 2014 3:50 am

Originally Posted by glynot (Post 22243971)
What's so special about the arrival lounge? I have a 6h transit in FRA coming up and will be flying in/out on LH.

Nothing. After a shower and breakfast you are good to go.

sbm12 Jan 29, 2014 6:23 am

Originally Posted by TravellingBeard (Post 22229533)

Take the train to Mainz for a few hours. MUCH better than spending that long in the lounges.

If you don't want to leave the airport grounds then go for the tours offered by FRAPort.

Houminer Jan 30, 2014 1:13 am

Originally Posted by glynot (Post 22243971)

Most people agree its the best lounge in FRA (excluding the first class lounges). It is only open during the morning and as I was reminded before. Not eveyone has access.

Edgerfly Jan 30, 2014 2:47 am

I too have a 7 hour layover in FRA, and it sounds like the OP and I will be taking the same flight to BKK. I am in F on UA into FRA, then leave out on TG in F. This is the first I've heard about the AC Maple Leaf Lounge in FRA. Is it something to seek out?

I've considered going into the city but it just depends how tired/jet-lagged I am. Is it possible to stow your bags in one of the lounges before you head off to explore the city, if you'd like?

Forrest Bump Jan 30, 2014 3:56 am

Originally Posted by Edgerfly (Post 22250992)
I've considered going into the city but it just depends how tired/jet-lagged I am. Is it possible to stow your bags in one of the lounges before you head off to explore the city, if you'd like?

Yes, in the lockers.

Edgerfly Jan 31, 2014 2:49 am

So which is the best lounge (Assuming you can't get into the FCL)... The Maple Leaf Lounge? I'm arriving in UA F and departing TG F.