Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best Star Alliance Lounge in Frankfurt for long layover?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Star Alliance Lounge in Frankfurt for long layover?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
I know the same questions have been asked over and over...I think mine is different.

Flying UA in F from ORD to FRA
Connecting to LH in C to LHR

On my previous trip (flew LH in F to FRA and connected to LH Domestic in C) I was treated as an F pax for my connecting flight (actually used the F terminal). I know on this trip I can't use the F terminal since I am on UA.

What is not clear to me though is whether I can use any of the other F lounges at FRA. I am not inclined to go to the welcome lounge (which I know is a business lounge) for 2 hour layover as going through immigration and security seems like a hassle. So, will I be able to use an F Lounge elsewhere in the airport? I think the answer is no. It seems that the LH F lounges require that you arrive (and/or) depart in LH F. Right?

Also I am confused by LH nomenclature. They have a business lounge and the have a senator/business lounge (in addition to F lounges). I believe the senator/business is the better of the two. But the senator/business lounge is a single lounge right? It does not have a separate area for senator and a separate area for business? And it seems the lounge near Z50 is the best choice?

Lastly I no longer have any status on UA. But I think it is still correct that when flying F (award ticket) that one is granted temporary Gold status? Not sure how that figures in here....but I know I will be asked if I have status.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 2:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.1925 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Originally Posted by rafi2k6
try the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge!
probably a hell of a lot better than LH's business lounges!
I think he needs to be *G to get in there, and as he hasn't specified any status, he'll be restricted to LH's business holes, errrrr lounges
I want to say you only need a *A C/F onward ticket for MLL access, but I realise I've only accessed them in Canada when flying AC J.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by peter11
I know the same questions have been asked over and over...I think mine is different.

On my previous trip (flew LH in F to FRA and connected to LH Domestic in C) I was treated as an F pax for my connecting flight (actually used the F terminal). I know on this trip I can't use the F terminal since I am on UA.

What is not clear to me though is whether I can use any of the other F lounges at FRA. I am not inclined to go to the welcome lounge (which I know is a business lounge) for 2 hour layover as going through immigration and security seems like a hassle. So, will I be able to use an F Lounge elsewhere in the airport? I think the answer is no. It seems that the LH F lounges require that you arrive (and/or) depart in LH F. Right?

Also I am confused by LH nomenclature. They have a business lounge and the have a senator/business lounge (in addition to F lounges). I believe the senator/business is the better of the two. But the senator/business lounge is a single lounge right? It does not have a separate area for senator and a separate area for business? And it seems the lounge near Z50 is the best choice?

Lastly I no longer have any status on UA. But I think it is still correct that when flying F (award ticket) that one is granted temporary Gold status? Not sure how that figures in here....but I know I will be asked if I have status.
1. No access to the First Class Lounges unless departing, arriving or connecting to/from LH/LX F.

2. You only have access to the Senator lounges if you are Star Gold or departing on a Star airline in First Class. If you are just arriving on a non-LH F and connecting to LH in C, you only have access to Business lounges.

3. Go to the one nearest to your gate - I believe they are all roughly the same standard now.

4. Senator lounges are separate lounges from the Business lounges, not a single lounge. And they are better than the Business lounges (esp. better F&B).
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:01 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
No. There is no such thing as temporary status for flying first class.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 12:23 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond

LH flights to LHR leave from B gates. I would try the new(ish) Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge which is better than LH Business Lounges and possibly Senator Lounges. It is located on the same level as Pier B transfer security above gate B42.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
[MERGED] Best FRA airport lounge/hotel 11hr layover

Hi - flying EWR-FRA-JNB-LLW.

EWR-FRA in GF on UA, 11 hr layover, connecting FRA-JNB on SA in business. *G if it matters beyond that.

Which lounges are best? Does UA have a special GF arrivals lounge and how is it?
Which airport hotel is best (priority: gym and free wifi).

Thank you.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by pduck01

EWR-FRA in GF on UA, 11 hr layover, connecting FRA-JNB on SA in business. *G if it matters beyond that.

Which lounges are best? Does UA have a special GF arrivals lounge and how is it?

Thank you.
All *Alliance lounges at Frankfurt are operated by Lufthansa. As a *Gold you have access to the Lufthansa business and Senator lounge. There are several located within terminal 1

There are three convenient hotels which are directly connected to the airport but outside security. The Sheraton, the Hilton and the Hilton Garden. They should all have gyms but not sure about free wifi.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: United 1K,CX GOLD,SPG GOLD, Club Carlson GOLD, Accor PLAT, Amex PLAT
Best FRA airport lounge/hotel 11hr layover

Spent 5 hours in the Senator lounge near B gates I believe, incredibly comfortable. Food and drink selection was varied, had fully self serve drinks but also a manned bar if you wanted something made for you. Highly recommend their green tea mojito.

They had chairs and tables but also full sized couches in addition to a quiet room with recliner chairs if you wanted some sleep. Shower facilities are decent too!

Really enjoyed my stay, check it out!
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by pduck01

Thank you.
Others have noted the hotel situation.
As to lounges, there is a comprehensive UA forum thread on this exact topic
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ght=FRA+lounge
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

With that much time I'd leave the airport, assuming you don't need a visa or you have one already. Mainz is a great little town to visit just 30 minutes away on the train.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Best FRA airport lounge/hotel 11hr layover

Leave the airport. Try to sneak your way into the first class terminal. Many posts on here outline how cool it is.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
Leave the airport. Try to sneak your way into the first class terminal. Many posts on here outline how cool it is.
There´s no chance in hell he´ll be let into the FCT.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
This is a really daft proposition!
OP doesn't qualify for the FCT.
Why would you even suggest it?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
.... and the FCT is a bit of a pain to access on foot even from the Sheraton.

Originally Posted by caspritz78
All *Alliance lounges at Frankfurt are operated by Lufthansa. As a *Gold you have access to the Lufthansa business and Senator lounge. There are several located within terminal 1

There are three convenient hotels which are directly connected to the airport but outside security. The Sheraton, the Hilton and the Hilton Garden. They should all have gyms but not sure about free wifi.
The Sheraton has free wifi in the lobby but not in the rooms for most guests. It has a gym.
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
There´s no chance in hell he´ll be let into the FCT.
Indeed it is highly unlikely.

First class customers don't get one free guest regardless of cabin as long as this guest is flying on a same day Star Alliance flight?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
This is a really daft proposition!
OP doesn't qualify for the FCT.
Why would you even suggest it?
Book an LH F award. Go to FCT. Cancel award.

By the way, there's an almost identical thread in this forum right on the front page. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...r-layover.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.